• In total there are 40 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 39 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Put a Little Science in Your Life

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Put a Little Science in Your Life

Unread post

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/01/opini ... ref=slogin

by Brian Greene

Here is page one of the article:

[quote]A COUPLE of years ago I received a letter from an American soldier in Iraq. The letter began by saying that, as we've all become painfully aware, serving on the front lines is physically exhausting and emotionally debilitating. But the reason for his writing was to tell me that in that hostile and lonely environment, a book I'd written had become a kind of lifeline. As the book is about science
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Mr P. you quoted Brian Greene:-
Like a life without music, art or literature, a life without science is bereft of something that gives experience a rich and otherwise inaccessible dimension.
It is about 'Balance' - we need music, art and literature......that is part of our spirituality.....

We need science....of course we do.....because we 'have foot in both worlds'.....we are corporal beings....we are in this world and trying to understand it........

But, my argument is that we are not 'just' corporal beings.....we are also spiritual.....it seems that this is the crucial argument.........

One without the other is sterile, stagnant and without hope......

We cannot be so 'heavenly' minded that we are no 'earthly' good.....

but I fear that if we become too 'scientific' we will lose sight of our souls.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Mr P. you quoted Brian Greene:-
Like a life without music, art or literature, a life without science is bereft of something that gives experience a rich and otherwise inaccessible dimension.
It is about 'Balance' - we need music, art and literature......that is part of our spirituality.....

We need science....of course we do.....because we 'have foot in both worlds'.....we are corporal beings....we are in this world and trying to understand it........

But, my argument is that we are not 'just' corporal beings.....we are also spiritual.....it seems that this is the crucial argument.........

One without the other is sterile, stagnant and without hope......

We cannot be so 'heavenly' minded that we are no 'earthly' good.....

but I fear that if we become too 'scientific' we will lose sight of our souls.
And I just do not agree with all that, save that we must have balance in our pursuits...but the article states this too...with no mention of a spiritual factor.

Mr. P.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Well Mr. P......

I think you are seeing 'spirituality' as a threat.......

It is not something to be agreed with or disagreed with....it is just there...A humble acceptance...is how I deal with it......

It seems obvious that we are not perceiving the same things on the spiritual level......and (although I try) I cannot 'comprehend' a lot of the scientific teachings.....maybe 'God' sends compensation!!!!
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Chris, Mr. P., (and our lovely Frank, wherever you are)...Theomantic...

This is how I feel......

Penelope....you have failed - FAILED......to communicate.....Go to Jail....Go directly to Jail.....do not pass GO.....do not collect $200.

Do not collect 200 dollars!!!!

:explode:

Rafael Sabatini
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Well Mr. P......

I think you are seeing 'spirituality' as a threat.......

It is not something to be agreed with or disagreed with....it is just there...A humble acceptance...is how I deal with it......

It seems obvious that we are not perceiving the same things on the spiritual level......and (although I try) I cannot 'comprehend' a lot of the scientific teachings.....maybe 'God' sends compensation!!!!
No...it is not a threat...it is just make believe that people need to cling to. It is pretty simple from my view.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

So....you are not going to let me out on bail......

You bounders...you rotters....you cads.....

Twist your waxed mustaches.......and 'play' the villain......

You are not 'admitting' to giving me an inch.......Shame on you!!! :(

Rafael Sabatini
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Chris, Mr. P., (and our lovely Frank, wherever you are)...Theomantic...

This is how I feel......

Penelope....you have failed - FAILED......to communicate.....Go to Jail....Go directly to Jail.....do not pass GO.....do not collect $200.

Do not collect 200 dollars!!!!

:explode:
Sounds like you are being more harsh on yourself and personalizing what we say rather than us labeling you a failure. I do not see anyone singling you out here. We are just stating what we feel and why we feel it. Just because that may hit close to what you believe does not make us the evil empire.

Mr. P.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Mr P said:
Sounds like you are being more harsh on yourself and personalizing what we say rather than us labeling you a failure. I do not see anyone singling you out here. We are just stating what we feel and why we feel it. Just because that may hit close to what you believe does not make us the evil empire.
I AM a person!!!!!! I DO personalise what you say.....

But I don't say you are labelling me a failure....

I label myself a failure.....but only in the fact that I don't appear to have been able to communicate.....

I do not call you 'the evil empire' and I don't even think of you as the evil empire......you are not evil.....you are caring!!!

But don't don't talk to me about 'we' as in:-
We are just stating what we feel and why we feel it.
Your are Chris, Mr.P and etc.....and your thoughts are your own.

Whatever I have posted has been on my own behalf.....and I refuse to be labelled....and be lumped along with the Religious Left or the Religious Right.....The Radicals, The Evangelicals......or any of the 'isms'.

Even if you want to be labelled.....I won't label you.....

You are individuals......THIS IS PERSONAL......it has to be... :bash:

Rafael Sabatini
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Mr P said:
I AM a person!!!!!! I DO personalise what you say.....

But I don't say you are labelling me a failure....

I label myself a failure.....but only in the fact that I don't appear to have been able to communicate.....
You are communicating just fine though...it is what you are saying, and not just YOU but the whole argument for faith/spirituality that is failing. We just dont accept it. It is not for us.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”