Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME FORUMS BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:08 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Progress 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Post Progress
Reading books are like searches into unexplored parts of my brain, going to places someone else went, in their brains. Progressing through the book opens doors into hallways, into rooms, and I find myself unable to return back to where I was before each threshold is passed, like passing through one way doors.

Some books alter my life, my way of thinking, insignificantly, my actions, my choices, and the paths I take do not change much, as far as I can tell. Other books bring to light new visions, uncover hidden things in previously dark rooms, and illuminate new doors, new paths, new choices that would have otherwise never been seen, not in the same time, not in the same place, not the same way.

Some books bring me to places, false places, places I’ve been, places I think I have rescued myself from, and I find myself rejecting that tired path, I put those books down.

Here is where I have an opportunity to tell other people a story, to bring them to a time and place, from my angle of view, concerning Howard’s new book.

I have had the luck, or have somehow earned the privilege, of reading the manuscript for The Genius of the Beast. I can tell the readers right now that my journey through this book is so far, as I move through page 268, a tough fight, a rocky trip, compared to my journeys through The Global Brain and The Lucifer Principle; which were smooth journeys, easy trips, and welcome experiences, without contention.

I am not the same person now as the person I was when I read The Global Brain and The Lucifer Principle. I made choices since then; I went on one way trips.

The Genius in the Beast brings me into battle with the Beast, and that is all I have time to express now.

Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:45 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Excellent post, I hope you stick around. You'll find yourself in good company here.

Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:35 pm

I have some very specific contentions with the data in the book so far, while I also see new answers and new questions arriving as I read, new paths, new opportunities to search and digest.

New ways to think, to use the tool I have, to sharpen it.

I may have to wait until other's read it?

Has anyone read The Global Brain and the Lucifer Principle yet?

Previous to those books I did not have a working understanding of the word “meme”, for an example of what I am trying to say about reading in general.

The word “meme” passed my notice like more of the same useless fashionable noise, stuff for people seeking momentary entertainment – perhaps. I may be just babbling. The word “meme” is now a part of my thinking, a building block, a stepping stone, a higher step; I can see more, Seymour Butts.

A meme is a bridge builder, perhaps, a from of connective stuff, like the stuff that prevents all our cells from wandering apart, or like the stuff that keeps a metal paper clip floating on water.

Is a meme illustrated by an example of a meme, like a popular song is an example of a popular song? Is that like universal grammar being the common elements of all grammar, the stuff that causes the examples?

Search and digest, it seems, is one thing, but it is a process composed of two separate things.

Thanks again for the welcome, and the opportunity.

Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:58 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sophomore

You might want to check out the discussion of memes in the book discussion of the Selfish Gene.

http://www.booktalk.org/post56032.html#56032

"Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." -Mark Twain

Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:38 am
Profile Email WWW

I am a timid, or conservative, explorer; so I am hesitant with following the suggestion.

I am more curious about this fish story thing than I am about the meme or the selfish gene discussion.

If, on the other hand, there was a link to a discussion on the book titled: Equitable Commerce, or The Science of Society, or even Trial by Jury, then it may be tough to keep me from it.

You can lead a thirsty horse to water, and try to stop it from drinking?

Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:27 am

I am now going to write freely, to search for words that are not specifically meant to move toward a specific goal in sight. This is a product of The Global Brain, a search mission I volunteer to go on, as inspired by the search mission I am on (where I am reading the book, and where I am commenting on this forum, step by step through time and space).

Howard has repackaged capitalism, so far in the book, as far as I can see; I am still digesting up to page 379. The thing is, from my view, capitalism was last packaged by people in the 19th century. People like Lysander Spooner and Karl Menger; Spooner was before Menger. Something happened in between. There was some overlap.

What had happened was profound to our generation. Good things were lost, bad things were created. Good things were starved and made scarce on purpose. Bad things were watered, fed, subsidized and those things grew large.

How can I get through to you, with words, how can I do this when bad things (words) have been subsidized, made stronger, more powerful, and these things destroy competition?

I can’t. That is my viewpoint. Then something happens. Something, from someone, opens a new door, the viewpoint changes, “I can’t” becomes less powerful, and the idea gains currency in opposition to “I can’t”. Competition is born again.

True stuff.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:51 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Sophomore

CWT36,

I am a timid, or conservative, explorer; so I am hesitant with following the suggestion.

I am more curious about this fish story thing than I am about the meme or the selfish gene discussion.

If, on the other hand, there was a link to a discussion on the book titled: Equitable Commerce, or The Science of Society, or even Trial by Jury, then it may be tough to keep me from it.

You can lead a thirsty horse to water, and try to stop it from drinking?

By fish story, are you referring to the Mark Twain quote?

"Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." -Mark Twain

Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:20 am
Profile Email WWW

CWT36,

Yes. Does that refer to trade secrets?

Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:48 am
Sophomore

It's a bit of cautionary advice to people who post at booktalk. There are a lot of really intelligent people here so you want get away with telling any fish stories.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:36 am
Profile Email WWW

Your reply inspires more questions from me. I think I have a handle on the quote from Mark Twain…no….I thought I had a handle on the quote from Mark Twain, now I am less confident.

I thought that the fish, in that sentence, was referring to fish, now I am not so sure that there is any connection to fish, whatsoever.

My thinking previous to your reply conjured up a process where fishermen might learn how better to fish from the fish story teller, therefore the fish story teller is cautioned against passing on any trade secrets. The presumption there is that a scarce supply of fish may become even scarcer as too many people learn how to catch them.

Here is my new question: is the warning meant to warn a liar or meant to warn someone who tells the truth, and if the story, or the warning, is meant to warn a liar, then is the idea behind the story an example of support for lying, to improve the business – so to speak?

Hey: here is a tip for all the liars out there, just in case you are ready to make this mistake, don’t make it, a lie won’t work if the people you intend to fool are people who will recognize the lie, because they know you are liar, and if your lie concerns a specific fact: don’t even try to tell that lie to people who know those facts, the lie won’t work, get it, nudge, nudge, wink, wink?

I may be unusual in more than one way, you may be unusual too, in similar ways, and perhaps we two can avoid all that lying business?

As for the measure of intelligence anywhere and the measure of intelligence particularly measured in my brain, or my soul, or wherever intelligence is measured, I have a test question I like to ask other people; along those lines: those lines of measuring intelligence, or answering questions, and/or gaining knowledge; in a measurable way.

This question I ask is this: What is one absolute fact?

I have found only one so far (every attempt to prove it so far proves it and every attempt so far to disprove it proves it too).

I’ve asked more than one person, and as yet the number of absolute facts I have, so for remains to be one.

My experience on forums can be summed up in a few sentences. I have not just fallen off the turnip truck. I don’t intentionally lie. I seek the truth, and I prefer to stay on topic.

The book in question has stirred up my thinking process; as if my brain has been turned off, turned back on, rebooted with either/or fixed data or data that is bad, and I’m not yet sure which. Few things that I read have this effect on me. My thinking so far has managed to gain confidence in an ability to know; in a measurable way. Few things of late, challenge that confidence; concerning specific things, not all things.

An intelligent person working on questions involving how to catch fish better may gain confidence, in measurable ways, on how better to catch fish. An intelligent person working on questions involving how better to lie, isn’t my business. I don’t have any confidence in that employment of intelligence.

My work has been on political economy, and I can sum up my work in one sentence. I can also sum up my trouble with my new boot-up process, as I read Howard’s new book, and that summation concerns the new things in Howard’s book that challenge the application of my sentence to political economy.

I am not so much concerned about any flaws in the summation of all my work in political economy, my sentence, as I am concerned about improving it, if it is possible, based upon the new things that Howard teaches, with his new book.

My goals at this point have been met, as far as I can tell, so thanks for the workout. I took the warning as a challenge.

Did I meet the challenge, or am I just babbling again (or is this the end of this part of the discussion, or options I have not considered or seen)?

Discussions, from my view, are intentional efforts to trade brains, to borrow each other's brains, as a means of improving thought.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:22 am

More free thinking (babbling) on my progress through the new book.

A challenge is being offered, or uncovered, illuminated, communicated, expressed, and brought into the light – center stage – it seems to me as I read up to page 3 hundred and something.

The challenge is being focused upon, with microscopic precision, perhaps.

Why, I ask myself, am I resisting, this is very strange.

I often find my radical viewpoints difficult to transfer. My viewpoints appear, typically, as I try to transfer them, to be akin to green baby food, as the spoon slowly moves closer to the babies mouth, and then the baby moves his and her head left and right, resisting.

Now I am the baby.

What gives?

Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:20 am

As the new perspective expands my point of view I see more pieces of the puzzle that is “viewpoint” falling into place.

Example:

Connectivity is something, without which there would be only individuals and all individuals would not be connected by anything. Seeing this one thing as one thing allows me now to have an object in view. I can see this object, this medium by which each individual is connected to each other individual, through lenses, and for this example I’ll use the lense, or the filter, called sympathy, or empathy.

I can pretend to be connectivity. I can see a world view from a perspective where I am looking through the eyes and all the senses commanded by this connectivity thing, presuming that this thing can see.

What, from this viewpoint, do people look like? What do people look like from a perspective of connectivity?

Each person is connected to connectivity, each person connected to each other person, so this thing will see everyone all at once.

Does that sound like an odd way of seeing?

Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:33 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Slut

Gold Contributor

As the new perspective expands my point of view I see more pieces of the puzzle that is “viewpoint” falling into place.

Example:

Connectivity is something, without which there would be only individuals and all individuals would not be connected by anything. Seeing this one thing as one thing allows me now to have an object in view. I can see this object, this medium by which each individual is connected to each other individual, through lenses, and for this example I’ll use the lense, or the filter, called sympathy, or empathy.

I can pretend to be connectivity. I can see a world view from a perspective where I am looking through the eyes and all the senses commanded by this connectivity thing, presuming that this thing can see.

What, from this viewpoint, do people look like? What do people look like from a perspective of connectivity?

Each person is connected to connectivity, each person connected to each other person, so this thing will see everyone all at once.

Does that sound like an odd way of seeing?
Hi Joe, you make me look forward to reading The Genius of the Beast. Your theme of 'connectivity' connects to rationality, reason and logic as ways to envisage the universe in a connected way. Science offers methods to understand empirical cause and effect as the main factors in connectivity, but binding facts together into a coherent picture is a task for philosophy and even theology.

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:04 pm
Profile Email WWW
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Gold Contributor

Post for Joe Kelly
Quote:
This question I ask is this: What is one absolute fact?

Welcome to BT Joe. You are in good company by asking such a question. Bertrand Russell began his book The Problems of Philosophy with this paragraph:

Quote:
Is there any knowledge in the world which is so certain that no reasonable man could doubt it? This question, which at first sight might not seem difficult, is really one of the most difficult that can be asked. When we have realized the obstacles in the way of a straightforward and confident answer, we shall be well launched on the study of philosophy-for philosophy is merely the attempt to answer such ultimate questions, not carelessly and dogmatically, as we do in ordinary life and even in the sciences, but critically, after exploring all that makes such questions puzzling, and after realizing all the vagueness and confusion that underlie our ordinary ideas.

I hope you enjoy the dialogue with these good people of BT.

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:27 pm
Profile Email

Being more specific on that sympathetic viewpoint from the connective medium, I found a curious way of seeing.

The connective thing touches everyone when everyone wants to touch someone else, everyone must access this thing, find it, dial it, speak through it, write on it, and use it to pass the messages through to the other person or the other people.

This may be another way of seeing something difficult to see, like trying to see universal grammar for what it is, to see it, to know it.

From the viewpoint of this connective thing each person is acting the same way as each other person in that process of accessing this thing so as to access someone else.

It is all the switch boards ever made, because all those things are just tools built to access the thing that is connectivity.

With me, the book is like playing 3 way chess and having my teammate hand me a queen. It is an example of a tool that accesses the connective thing. What is it used for, exactly?

Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:27 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next