Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 24, 2016 4:30 pm

<< Week of May 24, 2016 >>
Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday
24 Day Month

25 Day Month

26 Day Month

27 Day Month

28 Day Month

29 Day Month

30 Day Month

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Please give to the abused and neglected kids at the Cleveland Christian Home this Christmas! 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

Post Re: Please give to the abused and neglected kids at the Cleveland Christian Home this Christmas!
Thanks for the $10 donation Linda Wright! I'm not even finding you as a member of the forums. Maybe you arrived here from our Facebook page. No matter how you found us your generosity is much appreciated and will be helping make some really needy kids a little more cheery on Christmas morning. Thank you so much!

Total is now $260. Who is next? :anyone?:

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:03 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Re: Please give to the abused and neglected kids at the Cleveland Christian Home this Christmas!
Hi Charles E. Cox, Jr.,

Thank you so much for helping buy Christmas presents for the kids at the Cleveland Christian Home! Hopefully you read my story and understand how much of a difference your generosity is going to make in their lives. Thank you!

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:21 am
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Thanks Giselle! I received the $50 donation and have added it to our balance. I'm officially excited now. I love buying these gifts each year. I hope you feel good too. Where else can you make a donation that goes 100% to the intended recipient? I love doing this each year. :)

Thank you so much!

Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:56 pm
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

If you're interested in being a part of this but need a few more days to be able to send in a donation please make a post here.

State how much you plan to donate and I will spot you that amount. I really want to get these Christmas presents ordered in the next few days so that they arrive in time for the volunteers to wrap.

In other words if you plan to donate $10 make a post and say so. Then, when you are able to PayPal the $10 to me just go ahead and do so. I will buy $10 extra in Christmas presents even if your money hasn't arrived.

It is not too late to help so don't be shy. Just click the PayPal button and make a difference. :bananen_smilies090:

Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:50 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Am I Great or What?

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Chris, I'm planning to kick in $20, Paypal will not let me verify my account to do it. They even mailed me a letter with a code and it still wouldn't work.

I will get it to you, even if I have to send you a check.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:10 am
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Dexter, you can certainly mail a check. Make the check out to Chris O'Connor and mail to...

Chris O'Connor
PO Box 4624
Clearwater, FL 33758

I'll add $20 to the balance for you now. :)

Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:28 am
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I received the $20 donation, Dexter! Thank you very much.

So is that it or is there anyone else that wants in on this?

Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:30 am
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I just sent Maria Livers an email asking her for any specific Christmas gifts the kids have asked for so we can try to really make them happy.

Her response was...

Quote:
The Fablehaven book series has been requested of me (literally – no pun intended!) every week for almost 6 months. That is the most critical. The Candy Shop War was next, then Inheritance by Christopher Paolini, and any newer Rick Riordan books after that. Remote Control toys (helicopters and cars, sports items - nerf over-the-door hoops are great), nice art supplies and journals follow, as well as Fathead posters for their walls.

Thanks so much for initiating!

Books:

http://www.amazon.com/Fablehaven-Comple ... 908&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Candy-Shop-War-Br ... 975&sr=1-9

http://www.amazon.com/Inheritance-The-C ... 136&sr=1-1

I'll order everything soon.

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:46 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Am I Great or What?

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Very cool that the kids want books to read...

The following user would like to thank Dexter for this post:
Chris OConnor
Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:47 pm
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I just placed the order for the Christmas gifts. The total spent was $419.10. (Invoice is attached below)

As you can see on the PDF attachment I ordered most items in groups of 3. There are usually 40 kids living at the Cleveland Christian Home at any given time so buying 1 of each only makes the volunteers job harder in deciding how to distribute the gifts. Maria had provided to me a list of items the kids had requested so I focused on those items.

Here is what we bought:

Tile Lock Scrabble (Total 3)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BH ... 00_details

How to Draw People (Dover How to Draw) [Paperback] (Total 3)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/048642 ... 01_details

Syma S107/S107G R/C Helicopter - Yellow (Total 1)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A8 ... 02_details

Syma S107/S107G R/C Helicopter - Red (Total 1)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A8 ... 03_details

Syma S107/S107G R/C Helicopter - BLUE (Total 1)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TV ... 04_details

The Candy Shop War [Paperback] (Total 3)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159038 ... 05_details

Fablehaven Complete Set (Boxed Set): Fablehaven; Rise of the Evening Star; Grip of the Shadow Plague; Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary; Keys to the Demon Prison [Paperback] (Total 3)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/144242 ... 06_details

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M6 ... 00_details
Markings by C.R. Gibson Brown Ruled Paper Bonded Leather Journal, Small

Pentel Arts Oil Pastels, 50 Color Set
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026S ... 00_details

Top Flight Sketch Pad, Heavy Back, 8.75 x 12-Inches, 50 Sheets
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003I8 ... 00_details

Strathmore 400 Series Pastel Pads 11 in. x 14 in. sheets pad of 24
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024K ... 00_details

SKLZ Pro Mini Basketball XL Hoop
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046S ... 00_details

Thanks to those of you that got involved this year. It means a lot to me personally. I mean that.

I feel fortunate to be a part of BookTalk.org and to have this resource available. If I had the means I would do so much more. But together we are doing a lot for those kids.

I was hesitant last year to share some of my story but to some extent it was therapeutic for me. Opening up last year gave me the strength to share a bit more this year.

There really isn't a way to summarize the sadness of living in a home for children that nobody really wants. My goal is not to make people feel bad but if I don't share the reality of what that institution is like for those kids then people just aren't going to donate. It is an awkward position to be in. My ultimate goal is to get some great gifts into their hands on Christmas morning and I think we all did that. So I appreciate your generosity more than words can express.

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
Dexter
Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:52 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

I know it is after Christmas, but will you do this again for 2012? I'll be happy to donate. Thanks for thinking of the kids. Aloha.

Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:25 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I think we will keep doing this. The kids are in need and Christmas comes every year so there is no reason to stop this program. I'll try to get the announcement up earlier this year so more people can donate and get involved. :-)

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:25 am
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2