• In total there are 42 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 42 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
candy2050
Creative Writing Student

Re: Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

Unread post

I am reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I am about 100 pages in and it is pretty good, but not what I expected. Silly me I thought it would be about a circus, maybe it is getting there.
LS Burton
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Surface Detail, by Iain M. Banks.

And I'm missing page 55, the final page of the chapter I found most moving to date. If anybody has the book, I'd love to know what happened :D
Too long for journals, too short for novels,
published a few pieces for Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/L.S.-Burton/e/B00 ... _pel_pop_1
Tonya1000
Master Debater

Unread post

I'm currently reading the key of knowledge,the second book of Nora Roberts series the key trilogy.
Ender
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I'm currently reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I read it early on in high school and had little to no interest in it. I've received many negative comments about it essentially saying that the book is boring and a dry read. I'm about 6 chapters in and I absolutely love it. I think it is eloquently written with staggering insights into the mind of a child.
I hope the rest of the book proves to be just as beautiful.
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

I finished A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness this morning. It was a good read especially around Halloween. Harkness is a professor of history and you can really tell she knows her stuff. The ending is a cliff hanger, second book is due out in 2012 and I plan on reading that as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsJcE3vpk...
Shane1o
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Doctor Zhivago. I'm half way through. Enjoying it.
EndlessLaymon
Devoted Member

Unread post

11.22.63 by Stephen King. Now this is a book.
It's a scary night in the lonesome October
boiled 40

Unread post

I've just finished reading 'Food Revolution' by John Robbins, it's one scary book.
He explains firstly how diet can improve your quality of life and the environment. Then he gets into the nitty gritty stuff on GMO's and the food industry today. It's not a pretty picture.
An interesting part of the book is when JR explains the difference between the US and Europe when it comes to food production. The US Government is heavily influenced by companies like Monsanto and therefore the food industry basically has a free reign over all things food. In contrast Europe is policed by strict laws which restrict companies from using certain chemical,drugs and Genetics within food, mainly due to Mad Cows desease which has probably been a blessing in disguise.
If you like to know where and how your food was produced it's a must read, it's def one of the best books of its type out there.
Last nnight I started 'The Elementary Particles' by Michel Houellebecq. I've heard a lot about it, has anyone read it?
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

I’m doing a lot of re-reading lately, and just finished Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig. I am now re-reading a novel by bestselling author Anita Shreve called Sea Glass. It is a “quiet” novel, basically a love story, that takes place in 1929, encompassing the stock market crash and how it affects a young, struggling couple. The prose is excellent and the characters vividly drawn, with special insights into the deplorable labor conditions of the time, especially as they applied to mill workers in the textile industry. Set before air conditioning was widely available, I remember being particularly struck by the realistic depiction of how difficult it was for people in that era to cope with the heat of summer.

amazon.com/Sea-Glass-Novel-Anita-Shreve ... amp;sr=1-1

Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/
deathscythe210
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

currently i'm working on the Fire and Ice series by George R.R Martin. i'm pretty far into the third book, "Storm of Swords". i have to say to me, they're addicting. i can barely put them down

Return to “Everything Else”