Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:11 am

<< Week of February 12, 2016 >>
Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday
12 Day Month

13 Day Month

14 Day Month

15 Day Month

16 Day Month

17 Day Month

18 Day Month

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Guns, Germs, and Steel 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Commander

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Post Re: Guns, Germs, and Steel
I just bought a 2nd hand copy of this book today and plan to get started tonight. Anybody out there interested in discussing it every now and again?

to the sharp pit
so long concealed
--May Swenson

Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:52 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

If enough people want to discuss this book we can pull the old forum out of the archives and put it back in the Non-Fiction section for a few months. Email or PM me if you think the forum should be pulled out.

Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:49 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Reads During Parties

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

I have a copy on my shelf and I'd really like to read it. It might be a week or two before I can start.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:46 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Almost Comfortable

It's not very often where a book comes along that really changes people's perceptions on the world, especially when it's answering a very simple question that nobody had thought to really ask until that point.

I've heard - and only heard from a non-reliable source; ie, some guy I know -that a few of his suppositions have proven incorrect. But, really, in my opinion, it's all debatable, and a truly awesome book.

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:09 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor

I began the book a few months ago and think I got about halfway before I got distracted by other things. I like the book, but for me the author's style isn't the most enticing; he's kind of plodding and deliberate, which doesn't make for a page-turner. However, his conclusions seem carefully prepared and are valuable if valid. I'd like to finish the book, so if others are interested, let's go for it.

No, it is impossible; it is impossible to convey the life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence--that which makes its truth, its meaning--its subtle penetrating essence. It is impossible. We live as we dream--alone.

Joseph Conrad, The Heart of Darkness

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:57 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

This thread is being moved into the "Guns, Germs and Steel" forum. That forum has been pulled out of the Archives and is now sitting right there out in the open ready for your enjoyment. Please make a post or two in the forum so people know who is planning on participating.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:45 pm
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Bumping this up to the top.

All old threads from our discussion 9 years ago have been temporarily locked so they don't confuse the current discussion.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:08 pm
Profile Email WWW
Reads During Parties

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

I'm a bit overzealous at times. I don't see being able to read this for awhile. Sorry.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:23 pm
Thread Flintstone

Platinum Contributor

It's excellent that DWill is leading this discussion, thank you. I've ordered my book and meanwhile I've watched one of the three Nat Geo episodes. Thanks for the information on those, I think they serve as a good introduction to Jared Diamond's ideas. I'll be away for a couple weeks but I'll join the discussion when I return. And Geo maybe you can chime in here and there, like to hear your views.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:39 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Platinum Contributor

geo wrote:
I'm a bit overzealous at times. I don't see being able to read this for awhile. Sorry.

What was it our moms told us--"your eyes are bigger than your stomach?'' I do that all the time, think I have the time for something when I don't. But maybe you'll have time to watch those videos on the book, at least.Hope to see you around.

No, it is impossible; it is impossible to convey the life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence--that which makes its truth, its meaning--its subtle penetrating essence. It is impossible. We live as we dream--alone.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:45 pm

Platinum Contributor

giselle wrote:
I've ordered my book and meanwhile I've watched one of the three Nat Geo episodes. Thanks for the information on those, I think they serve as a good introduction to Jared Diamond's ideas. I'll be away for a couple weeks but I'll join the discussion when I return. And Geo maybe you can chime in here and there, like to hear your views.

Is that a gazelle, by the way, giselle? It sounds like a good idea to watch the videos as an appetizer and then see how far we can get into the main course.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:48 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

DWill wrote:
I began the book a few months ago and think I got about halfway before I got distracted by other things. I like the book, but for me the author's style isn't the most enticing; he's kind of plodding and deliberate, which doesn't make for a page-turner. However, his conclusions seem carefully prepared and are valuable if valid. I'd like to finish the book, so if others are interested, let's go for it.

I have a copy of the book, and I recall that I started it and never finished it. I'll give it another shot.

Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:59 pm
Profile Email

Platinum Contributor

Cool. I'd never be one to dis a book--well, that's not exactly true, I would--but you might also try the Nat. Geo programs at documentary heaven. The book does condense well, I think.

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:49 pm
Thread Flintstone

Platinum Contributor

DWill wrote:
Is that a gazelle,

Yup, I like things that rhyme. 8)

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:59 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2