• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

Unread post

Invisible Man, the one by Ralph Ellison published in 1952. It's the only book he published in his lifetime. As most know, it is the story of a never-named narrator's growth of consciousness about the meaning of race in this country. "Nightmare" has sometimes been used to describe the narrator's experience in this very intense tale of the after-effects of slavery. I'm drawn to it because the narrator's experience is so completely foreign to my own. I'm not able to conceive of any matter of appearance having a determining effect on my life.
eileeness311
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I'm only a few chapers in but so far so good!
EndlessLaymon
Devoted Member

Unread post

Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist.
It's a scary night in the lonesome October
BookCritic101
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Right now I'm re-reading "Oracle - Sunken Earth," by C.W. Trisef. It's the first in a new 7-book series. And yep, I'm re-reading it because it was SO GOOD the first time; want to make sure I didn't miss anything! This is a MUST read!! Also casually reading Wuthering Heights.
[bookworm]
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I'm reading a few books at the moment! One of them is READ THIS NEXT: And Discover Your 500 New Favourite Books by Sandra Newman, which is basically an excuse for me to say 'Well, I read somewhere that such and such is an amazing book and I simple had to buy it!' I'm always looking for new things to read, and rather than just browsing Amazon.com as I so often do, I thought I'd see what comes recommended from this book!

Then again, I do take notice of other recommendations, too! My best friend recommended that I read Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts, which is based on the author's life. He'd been imprisoned for 19 years, and it's the story of his when he went to Bombay after escaping, in broad daylight, from a maximum security prison! Doesn't that just grip you and make you want to read more? I love it when a book does that to me!

Also, because I'm an avid sewer and want to open up my own online craft store on Etsy, I am reading (almost finished!) Etsy Success - How To Make a Full-Time Income Selling Jewelry, Crafts, and Other Handmade Items Online by Kathleen Donovan, which is basically my way of building up my confidence and make sure I understand everything before I jump in and open the shop.

And lastly I'm reading Women of the Suffrage Movement by Lydia Bjornlund, because I find the whole fight for the equality of women and right to vote a fascinating subject and wanted to get a better insight into it! This particular book is focused on the American Women's Suffrage Movement, though I'm also very interested in the British movement, so if anyone knows any good books on the subject, please let me know! :)
EndlessLaymon
Devoted Member

Unread post

Just finished The Woman In Black by Susan Hill major fuckin disappointment.
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

eileeness311 wrote:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I'm only a few chapers in but so far so good!
Are you still enjoying it? It's on my TBR list.
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

I am currently half way through A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. If you are into Witch's, Vampires and Daemons this you might like. I don't usually read this sort of thing but find I am enjoying it. Apparently there will be a movie next year.

http://deborahharkness.com/discovery-of-witches/
Aubrey.Alexis
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I'm also reading Les Miserables. I'm only 8% of the way into it (thank you Kindle for that weird way of looking at progress), but I'm really enjoying it.
EndlessLaymon
Devoted Member

Unread post

In the Deep Woods by Nicholas Conde.

Return to “Everything Else”