Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:59 am

<< Week of December 06, 2016 >>
Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday
6 Day Month

7 Day Month

8 Day Month

9 Day Month

10 Day Month

11 Day Month

12 Day Month





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Let’s all place our well-appointed ridicule of Tea Baggers here. 
Author Message
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Masters


Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 467
Location: canada
Thanks: 66
Thanked: 179 times in 132 posts
Gender: Male
Country: Canada (ca)

Post Re: Let’s all place our well-appointed ridicule of Tea Baggers here.
stahrwe wrote:
Interbane wrote:
Raise taxes on the rich first, back to the same percentage it had been for the majority of this century.



For the majority of THIS century it has been what it is now, therefore your argument, while awkwardly phrased is to make the Bush Tax cut permanent.



Glibness aside, let’s look at how tax rates have compared to the workings of the economy over the last “century”.


Early 1900’s- The age of the Robber Barons, obscene polarization of wealth, class violence…… but a low top tax rate.

Early 1920’s- There is a surge in taxes for the rich, followed by a boom decade.

Late 1920’s- Taxes for the rich plummet. A huge speculative bubble develops, causing a run on banks, and the great depression.

1930’s and 1940’s- Taxes on the top end gradually increase. The economy gradually recovers.

1950’s and 1960’s- Highest top tax rates ever, reaching 91%. Most sustained economic boom ever, with a rapidly expanding middle class, and general affluence that comes to be taken for granted, despite the repayment of massive wartime debt.

1980’s to the Present- Taxes on the top income brackets drop sharply. Speculative bubbles form in the Savings and Loan industry, in high tech stocks, and then in real estate. A crisis develops as social programs become unfunded, and infrastructure becomes neglected. Class distinctions reappear, polarization of wealth increases.


I’ve been put off drinking tea lately, but today I may have a shot of whisky, depending on the outcome of today’s show.


_________________
"I suspect that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose"
— JBS Haldane


The following user would like to thank etudiant for this post:
Interbane, johnson1010
Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:55 am
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intern


Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 165
Thanks: 21
Thanked: 13 times in 12 posts
Gender: Female
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Let’s all place our well-appointed ridicule of Tea Baggers here.
wilde wrote:
Tee hee. "Tea baggers."


If only they knew....


Wilde.... what do you mean by tee. hee.....tea baggers? If you don't know this by now, and I am sure that u do, I am a huge tea party activist. I believe, or rather I know that it the tea party had a huge victory on election Day. That is definitely nothing to sneeze at! Now we will wait and see what happens in January when all of these tea bag constituents were sworn in. I really believe that this is a huge victory for this entire country but it will be interesting to follow.



Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:01 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 4836
Location: Florida
Thanks: 159
Thanked: 323 times in 277 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Let’s all place our well-appointed ridicule of Tea Baggers here.
phillies4evr wrote:
wilde wrote:
Tee hee. "Tea baggers."


If only they knew....


Wilde.... what do you mean by tee. hee.....tea baggers? If you don't know this by now, and I am sure that u do, I am a huge tea party activist. I believe, or rather I know that it the tea party had a huge victory on election Day. That is definitely nothing to sneeze at! Now we will wait and see what happens in January when all of these tea bag constituents were sworn in. I really believe that this is a huge victory for this entire country but it will be interesting to follow.


Wilde was referring to the potty humor meaning of tea bagging. If you don't know what it refers to you aren't missing anything. The fiscally challenged delight in saying it with smirks and giggles but they seem to be the only ones who get any stimulation from it. I liken it to the Yankee which was a term of derision used by the British during the revolution. It backfired when the colonists co-opted it.

As far as the future is concerned, I am still as worried. Despite the Tea Party victory, our fiscal house is such a mess that it seems unlikely that it can be repaired.


_________________
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.


Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:44 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Intern


Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 165
Thanks: 21
Thanked: 13 times in 12 posts
Gender: Female
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Let’s all place our well-appointed ridicule of Tea Baggers here.
stahrwe wrote:
phillies4evr wrote:
wilde wrote:
Tee hee. "Tea baggers."


If only they knew....


Wilde.... what do you mean by tee. hee.....tea baggers? If you don't know this by now, and I am sure that u do, I am a huge tea party activist. I believe, or rather I know that it the tea party had a huge victory on election Day. That is definitely nothing to sneeze at! Now we will wait and see what happens in January when all of these tea bag constituents were sworn in. I really believe that this is a huge victory for this entire country but it will be interesting to follow.


Wilde was referring to the potty humor meaning of tea bagging. If you don't know what it refers to you aren't missing anything. The fiscally challenged delight in saying it with smirks and giggles but they seem to be the only ones who get any stimulation from it. I liken it to the Yankee which was a term of derision used by the British during the revolution. It backfired when the colonists co-opted it.

As far as the future is concerned, I am still as worried. Despite the Tea Party victory, our fiscal house is such a mess that it seems unlikely that it can be repaired.


stahrwe......that is exactly what the tea party is all about; fixing the mess that has gotten so out of control. With time I do believe that the tea partists will turn things around for this country. It won't happen overnight and since so much damage has already been done, because honestly Obama has nobody to blame but himself and their are so many more people that believe the same thing because this past election has made me realize that Obama is doing such a horrible job at the tea partyists had given everyone who voted the way they did something amazing and that is definitely a move in the right position for us tea party activists!



Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:02 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 3551
Location: Michigan
Thanks: 1320
Thanked: 1140 times in 838 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Let’s all place our well-appointed ridicule of Tea Baggers here.
http://www.slate.com/id/2276583/

yep.


_________________
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.


Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:53 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 3551
Location: Michigan
Thanks: 1320
Thanked: 1140 times in 838 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Let’s all place our well-appointed ridicule of Tea Baggers here.
http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_ ... index.html

Tea Partiers demanding that we white wash america's history and put founding fathers on gleaming pedestals of "not slave owners" and "were fair to the indigenous peoples".

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arc ... ess/69530/

Tea partiers erupt in hate filled mob mentality, shouting "jew" at democratic candidate who defeated the tea party candidate. Tea party candidate himself found to be front and center of boiling cauldron of stupidity, egging his supporters on.

Now is your chance tea partiers. Denounce these acts of stupidity as the embarrasment that they are. Your silence is viewed as support of this behavior. You don't do it by saying, "I'm one of them, and we are all bad." you do it by saying "These guys call themselves tea partiers, but they are 100% asshole, and i don't want them speaking for me."


_________________
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.


Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:58 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 3551
Location: Michigan
Thanks: 1320
Thanked: 1140 times in 838 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Let’s all place our well-appointed ridicule of Tea Baggers here.
http://www.guessthatteapartier.com/

So, this site just puts up quotes from tea partiers... and you match the crazy to the crazy person.

Fun... and very sad. These people hold office in our country.

Explain yourself, america.


_________________
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.


Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:52 am
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 3551
Location: Michigan
Thanks: 1320
Thanked: 1140 times in 838 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Let’s all place our well-appointed ridicule of Tea Baggers here.
Michele Bachmann... wrong about something?!?

Oh, no wait. Michele Bachmann is always wrong.

http://io9.com/5840104/american-academy ... etardation


_________________
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.


Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:33 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Wearing Out Library Card


Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 229
Location: Central Florida
Thanks: 166
Thanked: 114 times in 80 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Let’s all place our well-appointed ridicule of Tea Baggers here.
This is a pretty valiant, powerful and poignant rebuke of the Teabaggers and ultra-right-wing conservatives (if you scroll down, there is a video tribute to the craftsmanship of the victim in question).

dailykos.com/story/2011/09/13/1016557/- ... ia=siderec


_________________
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/


The following user would like to thank R. LeBeaux for this post:
Interbane, johnson1010
Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:43 pm
Profile Email WWW
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 3551
Location: Michigan
Thanks: 1320
Thanked: 1140 times in 838 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Let’s all place our well-appointed ridicule of Tea Baggers here.
http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_ ... index.html

Bachmann doubles down on the stupid.


_________________
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.


The following user would like to thank johnson1010 for this post:
R. LeBeaux
Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:08 am
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 3551
Location: Michigan
Thanks: 1320
Thanked: 1140 times in 838 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Let’s all place our well-appointed ridicule of Tea Baggers here.
Of course.

Quote:
I, an American small business owner, part of the class that produces the vast majority of real, wealth producing jobs in this country, hereby resolve that I will not hire a single person until this war against business and my country is stopped.


Tea party nation advises that small business owners should refuse to hire people and spike the economy to hurt Obama's presidency.

wow.

http://www.teapartynation.com/profiles/ ... share_post


_________________
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.


Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:39 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Thinks Abridged Editions are an Abomination

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4066
Location: NC
Thanks: 1575
Thanked: 1652 times in 1260 posts
Gender: Male

Post Re: Let’s all place our well-appointed ridicule of Tea Baggers here.
We can probably take it for granted that most of those who identify with the Tea Party movement would not resort to such antics.

This was a recent blog by James Sinclair showing the overlap between the Tea Party and the Occupy Wallstreet movements. It includes this Venn diagram. Very interesting post and worth a read.

Image

http://howconservativesdrovemeaway.blog ... party.html


_________________
-Geo
Question everything


Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:27 pm
Profile
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Creative Writing Student


Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 33
Thanks: 1
Thanked: 10 times in 10 posts
Gender: None specified

Post Re: Let’s all place our well-appointed ridicule of Tea Baggers here.
Ridicule of others, how fun, let me take a try. Since they didn't call themselves "Tea Baggers" but those who disliked them gave them that name, let me drop my balls on your nose and give a name to another group of protestors in the news. Lets call "Occupy Wall Street" (and this will make it more concise as well) "Douche Baggers". I think it fits. As for Venn Diagrams, it is true that the Tea Baggers and the Douche Baggers identified some of the same problems, but I am like John Lennon "I'd love to see the plan" before I get on board with anyone, and their plans define them more then what they are protesting against. I like others get great felicity from name calling (not) instead of talking about solutions, and it really advances our society to make fun of and name call everyone. Most people choose their politics based on one issue (correctly perceived or not) they think the perticular political party of their choosing is on the "right" side of, and then they follow (or better to say attempt to defend) every other position this party takes no matter how absurd.

OK, ready, aim, fire at will.



Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:31 pm
Profile Email
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:

BookTalk.org Newsletter 

Announcements 

• What fiction book should we start January 1, 2017?
Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:57 pm



Site Links 
Forum Rules & Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
BBCode Explained
Info for Authors & Publishers
Author Interview Transcripts
Be a Book Discussion Leader!
IDEAS FOR WHAT TO READ:
Bestsellers
Book Awards
• Book Reviews
• Online Books
• Team Picks
Newspaper Book Sections

WHERE TO BUY BOOKS:
• Great resource pages are coming!

BEHIND THE BOOKS:
• Great resource pages are coming!

Featured Books

Books by New Authors


*

FACTS is a select group of active BookTalk.org members passionate about promoting Freethought, Atheism, Critical Thinking and Science.

Apply to join FACTS
See who else is in FACTS







BookTalk.org is a free book discussion group or online reading group or book club. We read and talk about both fiction and non-fiction books as a group. We host live author chats where booktalk members can interact with and interview authors. We give away free books to our members in book giveaway contests. Our booktalks are open to everybody who enjoys talking about books. Our book forums include book reviews, author interviews and book resources for readers and book lovers. Discussing books is our passion. We're a literature forum, or reading forum. Register a free book club account today! Suggest nonfiction and fiction books. Authors and publishers are welcome to advertise their books or ask for an author chat or author interview.



Copyright © BookTalk.org 2002-2016. All rights reserved.
Display Pagerank