• In total there are 10 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

PRECIOUS JEWELS, A SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST FAMILY SAGA

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
DAWintsmith
Getting Comfortable

Re: PRECIOUS JEWELS, A SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST FAMILY SAGA

Unread post

THOUGHTS ON "A HIGHER STANDARD"

I visualize "higher standard" as a flag on a tall pole, and "holding to" it as holding that flag up against a wind that would tear it down if not for a great effort. In this sense, the characters of PRECIOUS JEWELS held to the higher standard in the face of the winds of desire and heartbreak that buffeted them.

Flags generally represent nations, but they can also represent beliefs and symbolize our most cherished values. To raise the flag and to hold to its standard does involve the sense of height, for a flag is raised above one's head, and to raise it higher means to keep it within ones' sight. A lower standard is a flag not raised--or one not raised high enough so that one may keep one's eyes on the goal. So the "higher standard" that I speak of is a comparison with itself, the standard raised or not raised.

--excerpted from a longer entry on my wee blog, Storystone Journal at storystonejournal.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... ndard.html

I would also like to recommend a book by Brad Hirschfield, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE WRONG FOR ME TO BE RIGHT. He discusses the pitfalls of fervent beliefs, whether it be religion, politics or any other cause that narrows the vision to "I am right and you are wrong." He approaches it with an attitude of having forgiven himself for having embraced the fanaticism of certain Israelis who have lost touch with their humanity in their conviction that the land of Israel is their God-given right. Hirschfield was shaken out of that view when two Palestinian girls were killed and no one else in his group seemed upset. He speaks of moving on without being ashamed of where he was in his thinking, and of forgiving those who have not moved on with him. (I rarely think that someone else has said something better than I could, ahem, but I think possibly Hirschfield has.)
D. A. Wintsmith, Author of Precious Jewels, A Seventh-Day Adventist Family Saga and Voracious Reader of Other People's Books

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”