• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

"The Glass Bead Game", A General Introduction to it's History for the Layman

#97: June - July 2011 (Fiction)
hesse
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Re: "The Glass Bead Game", A General Introduction to it's History for the Layman

Unread post

Thanks for a fascinating look at the balance of the universe. By what method(s) did you arrive at these findings?

I believe a central theme of the Glass Bead Game is that reason and experience are Yin and Yang of the Oneness.....
I can think, I can wait, I can fast........
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: "The Glass Bead Game", A General Introduction to it's History for the Layman

Unread post

hesse wrote:Thanks for a fascinating look at the balance of the universe. By what method(s) did you arrive at these findings?
Hello Hesse. I discuss the methods regarding my findings on the balance of the solar system at the paper I linked above, The Gas Giant Planets, the Great Year and the Holy City. If you wish to understand the methods in more detail, please see bautforum.com/showthread.php/80362-Spir ... lar-System. On a point of detail, this does not describe a balance of the universe (your phrase) but is restricted to considering the solar system as an isolated entity. This is a reasonable approach, given that if the solar system was the size of a coin the nearest star would be 100 yards away. I studied this material by obtaining data from NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, which provides information on the estimated position of the center of mass over the last 6000 years.

For many years I have been interested in the question of how the solar system can be analysed as a physical unity. The balance point of the system, the spot on which a scale model would rest evenly, is called the center of mass, or barycenter. My scientific discovery is that this point moves in relation to the sun in a regular 179 year pattern driven by the movement of Jupiter, Saturn and Neptune, and that this period appears to be in resonance with the spin wobble of the earth.

Intriguingly, this 179 year cycle of the sun is exactly the period known in astrology as 'the house of the age', one twelfth of a Zodiac Age. The astrologer Dane Rudhyar discusses this period in his book Astrological Timing, but does not link it to the center of mass. My finding shows that as each new 'house' begins, Jupiter Saturn and Neptune come together exactly one zodiac sign further on from their last meeting point. This is a purely empirical finding, but one that opens a door to analysis of the physical basis of astrology. For the purpose of this analysis I ignore all speculative symbolic interpretation, sticking purely to facts.

I find it quite intriguing that this scientific finding of the real harmony of the spheres is of no interest to astronomers, solely because of the astrological association. In terms of the glass bead game, the contrast here is between scientific observation and cultural tradition. The study of this material can explore how these conflicting attitudes relate to each other and how they can be harmonized.
I believe a central theme of the Glass Bead Game is that reason and experience are Yin and Yang of the Oneness.....
That is a very metaphysical comment. You will probably have to expand on it if you wish people to discuss it. It reminds me of the discussion I just had with DWill regarding Sartre and the theory of freedom in the thread on Dostoyevsky and Existentialism. Reason is our capacity to project upon the world in existential freedom. Experience is our observation of the results of rational projection. Sartre argues that experience (essence) should not constrain rational projection (existence). This is a radical claim that rejects Plato's view that essence precedes existence. I agree more with Plato than with Sartre, but your introduction of the Chinese metaphysics of yin and yang illustrates that in this tension between reason and experience we can see two sides of psychology in dialectical relation.
Murrill
Gaining experience

Unread post

hesse wrote:Just as a footnote to the introduction, and to help you understand the world Hesse had recently experienced, it is necessary to understand the reference to Pope Pius XV is actually aimed at Pope Pius XII, please do a search....
Thanks for the clue. I did a search, and I can understand why the author might have taken aim at Pope Pius XII: He refused to publically condemn Germany for atrocities against the Jews, and he deferred to the teaching authority of the Church. It seems he believe the soul, or essence, came first and was followed by being. I've read only the Introduction, but from what I've read in other posts I suspect these themes will feature prominently as the story unfolds.
hesse

Unread post

Murrill wrote:
hesse wrote:Just as a footnote to the introduction, and to help you understand the world Hesse had recently experienced, it is necessary to understand the reference to Pope Pius XV is actually aimed at Pope Pius XII, please do a search....
Thanks for the clue. I did a search, and I can understand why the author might have taken aim at Pope Pius XII: He refused to publically condemn Germany for atrocities against the Jews, and he deferred to the teaching authority of the Church. It seems he believe the soul, or essence, came first and was followed by being. I've read only the Introduction, but from what I've read in other posts I suspect these themes will feature prominently as the story unfolds.
Think of Pius's character, and then read that he was an avid GBG player at one point....this should dispel any notion that this game is some divinely driven mechanism....

The first question to be asked is "What is Castalia and who put them in charge"....
hesse

Unread post

For many years I have been interested in the question of how the solar system can be analysed as a physical unity. The balance point of the system, the spot on which a scale model would rest evenly, is called the center of mass, or barycenter. My scientific discovery is that this point moves in relation to the sun in a regular 179 year pattern driven by the movement of Jupiter, Saturn and Neptune, and that this period appears to be in resonance with the spin wobble of the earth....

Intriguingly, this 179 year cycle of the sun is exactly the period known in astrology as 'the house of the age', one twelfth of a Zodiac Age. The astrologer Dane Rudhyar discusses this period in his book Astrological Timing, but does not link it to the center of mass. My finding shows that as each new 'house' begins, Jupiter Saturn and Neptune come together exactly one zodiac sign further on from their last meeting point. This is a purely empirical finding, but one that opens a door to analysis of the physical basis of astrology. For the purpose of this analysis I ignore all speculative symbolic interpretation, sticking purely to facts.
I thoroughly understand your adherence to the scientific method and yet something inside of me says "This guy had a to have had some kernel of faith to undertake such an arduous journey".....
Murrill
Gaining experience

Unread post

hesse wrote:
Murrill wrote:
Think of Pius's character, and then read that he was an avid GBG player at one point....this should dispel any notion that this game is some divinely driven mechanism....

The first question to be asked is "What is Castalia and who put them in charge"....
There seem to be dichotomous reports of Pius' treatment of the Jews and others involved in WWII. It seems that he changed from when he was a cardinal---when he was an avid GBG player, perhaps?---until he was the pope & outlawed the game. I did not think of the GBG as divinely inspired. Rather it seemed more abstract....sort of a "think tank," if you will. Isn't one of the characteristics of the game that its essence, the point of departure, is timeless, unchanging, though it may be enhanced & developed with time as other influences become involved?
As for Castalia: I don't think I am "there" yet, but I appreciate the cue.
hesse

Unread post

The reference to Pius went right by me the first time I read this book...upon rereading it (many times now) it dawned on me that perhaps Hesse was ever so slightly nudging the reader to "read between the lines"....
Aqueda_Veronica
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I picked out the book from my local library with a hint of hesitation. I don't know that much about German literature and figured that TGBG would be a challenging read. Usually I don't even read introductions, but now all I can say is "Oh wow!". Pleasant surprise :)
If the novel itself will be as fascinating, I am in for a compelling read.

I absolutely LOVED the paragraphs about classical music and music appreciation. Back in college my roommate's major was musicology, so I think I understand the points stated by the narrator.

I was shocked to notice TGBG was written in 1930s/40s cause all the critique of the Feuilleton era sure sounded pretty up to date to me. Do we really need to look any further than reality tv, tabloids, university education depreciation and so on?

Oh, and I don't care what Hesse says, I do love my crossword puzzles ;)
"From childhood's hour I have not been as others were
I have not seen as others saw
I could not bring my passions from a common spring
From the same source I have not taken my sorrow
I could not awake my heart to joy at the same tone
And all I loved - I loved alone"

E.A.Poe
hesse

Unread post

Oh, and I don't care what Hesse says, I do love my crossword puzzles
Blasphemy! :lol:

Welcome Veronica.....
hesse

Unread post

Following a hunch I looked into the latest iteration of the novel and I see they have failed to reprint the Foreword from Theodore Ziolkowski that is contained in my 1970 copy....it is must reading....

http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgu ... seludi.rtf

Return to “The Glass Bead Game: A Novel - by Hermann Hesse”