• In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Unraveling the supernatural

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Vishnu
Intern

Re: Unraveling the supernatural.

Unread post

Wow, very fascinating story Tat, thanks for sharing! A side you I don't think I've seen before.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

That was super, tat. One comment I have just incidentally, is that it seems somehow more genuine to me for your grandfather to call his god Yahweh. I have kind of a problem with the name 'God' and sense that Christians don't like it when we call God Yahweh instead. But why should it bother them?
Azrael
Masters

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:I just think that it's better to take an uncertain position on an after life. The evidence is actually several fold concerning consciousness. We see things die and life go out of them for sure, but then again we also see people die and revive with elaborate accounts of conscious continuing uninterrupted throughout the whole ordeal.

One strange case was the Russian who was in the morgue for several days and then came to when they cut into him for autopsy. He claimed to be conscious the entire time. My grandfather died several times over heart attack related issues and had a quadruple bypass surgery in the process. He had long winded tales of seeing a bright light, which, coincidentally told him "I am" when my grandfather asked this light who it was. The light asked him if he'd like to stay or go back to his body as the story goes. He told me that there was no pain in the presence of this light that says "I am", so he answered that he prefered to stay with the light. Apparently that wasn't the answer that the light was hoping for and so he was told no, you have to go back because your family needs you a while longer. And bam, he was back in his body in the hospital. He remembered sitting up and vomiting which hit a male CNA who was by his bed side and the CNA slapped his face causing him to choke on his own vomit and then he blacked out. When he came to the CNA wasn't there and he couldn't communicate vocally what had happened to those who were there.

When he was released home he started telling me about his perception of the whole ordeal of dieing and the meeting with the light. I listened but I was already an atheist at that point in life and didn't believe any of it. The light thing is obviously coming from the fact that he grew with the story of Moses and the burning bush and the great "I am that I am" myth. If he were raised Hindu or Buddhist he would have had some other experience during the death or near death time periods. But the odd thing is that when I finally came to him and agreed to listen to his bible study on Yahweh and the sacred names of God that he kept pressing to tell me, he actually died in his sleep the very next Friday night before he had the chance to finish what he started the previous weekend. He believed that he had to come back from the bypass surgery because he hadn't passed on his bible study about the sacred name of Yahweh to me, his oldest grandson. And it actually took several years before I decided to let him tell me what he wanted to say about the tetragrammaton. And so when my grandfather finally did pass on his bible study I guess he felt a peace of mind and just let go on his own terms and felt that it was time to move on. He didn't fear death any more after his ordeal at the hospital. He seemed like he was ready to go whenever, but felt like he had to stick around a while longer to pass on this information about Yahweh. I lived about two hours away and I was planning on going down that Friday night but stayed home instead. I woke up to my mom knocking on my door crying and she told me that Pop died.

Out of respect for his intentions I went through his personal library and followed a paper trail of info about Yahweh. And thus began an investigation into the sacred names of God which kept unfolding and unfolding until I finally understood that Yahweh was a pagan pantheon deity originally and how the old Canaanite deity reflected older myths of Isis as the great "I was, am, will be". I began to understand that these myths are addressed to mere existence itself and drop clues along the way that make it possible to realized this. The big lesson turned out to be nothing more than finally putting it all together and realizing that the Gods of mythology are oriented towards pointing at mere existence as this all encompassing totality that has no fixed beginning or end and is the source, end, and supporting ground of life and being.

I have no idea whether or not my grandfather was truly brain dead or not during the several flat lines he went through. He thought he was conscious throughout. And I have to wonder whether or not existence is itself some type of primal consciousness from which we emerge and to which we all return. I'm agnostic on the whole thing for several reasons. It's possible that his experience was linked into a return to the primal consciousness of existence itself, which he perceived as this "light" as in the biblical myths, but then again he could have just as easily made the whole thing up as some ploy to get me back into the church again and dedicate my life to Yahweh or something. But it actually served to make me all the more atheist and agnostic in the end because I gained a detailed understanding about mythology and how the biblical names of God originally were all reference to different gods and then later masked and disguised with terms like "lord" and "lord of hosts" to try and hide that fact. While it's clear that the myths are non literal it's still not so clear to me as to whether or not existence itself comes with a certain intention geared towards the emergence of life in suitable environments throughout space as a way for the universe to look around at itself and investigate it's depths. If so, this primal urge, or consciousness, would not see anything until it evolves eyes to see. That's where life comes in. Perhaps there is a constant stream of coming and going to and from this primal energy consciousness of sorts and that's why so many traditions and people swear by these experiences. I just don't know until I actually get there myself. At which point I will either experience a transition of consciousness or completely black out into no consciousness whatsoever. And I fear neither of the two outcomes. Like you I tend to lean towards the latter of the two because it's the most logical when you really think about it. But I just can't shut the door on option one. I'm stuck in an agnostic standstill for the time being...

:mrgreen:
One strange case was the Russian who was in the morgue for several days and then came to when they cut into him for autopsy.
I find this highly unlikely. I do not know what Russian morgues are like but in order to prevent putrefaction especially after several days the body would have to have been kept at temperatures close to freezing.....brain cells die after 4 to 6 minutes without oxygen so at most he would have been brain dead.
Brief description of putrefaction of a human body with respect to time of death

2–3 days: Staining begins on the abdomen. The body begins to swell, owing to gas formation.
3–4 days: The staining spreads and veins become discolored.
5–6 days: The abdomen swells with gas (produced by the bacteria that decompose the body), and the skin blisters.
2 weeks: The abdomen becomes very tight and swollen.
3 weeks: Tissues begin to soften. Organs and cavities are bursting. The nails fall off.
4 weeks: Soft tissues begin to liquefy, and the face becomes unrecognizable.

The exact rate of putrefaction is dependent upon many factors, such as weather, exposure and location. Thus, refrigeration at a morgue or funeral home can retard the process, allowing for burial in three days or so following death without embalming.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putrefaction

This is often termed the worst stage of death and its not pretty. Even embalming and burial cannot stop the natural decomposition of the body. Thats the reason caskets are not made air tight as the chemical processes begin to break down the body gases are given off normally in the form of hydrogen sulfide if they were air tight these gases would blow the lid off the casket. I find these NDE's far fetched at best.

Most embalmers are taught that if you touch a body and its warm STOP! So if the Russian was not dead the ME would have known simply by touching the skin as it would have been warm to the touch......in the world of the dead you do not assume anything....
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

The Russian guy was giving his testimony on a show I watched about near death experiences, along with an interesting story about a woman covered by an avalanche who died and returned. I have no idea whether they were true or not, it's just that I went through a time of interest with death and near death experiences and wound up reading "Life After Life" in the process. I was interested in hearing a variety of accounts on the matter...
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Vishnu wrote:Wow, very fascinating story Tat, thanks for sharing! A side you I don't think I've seen before.
I haven't personally experienced any of this but the closest thing to it was talking to my grandfather about his. I don't propose that any of this supernatural either. If existence turns out have the properties of a primal consciousness of sorts then I see it as a description of the natural universe, permitting that ever becomes proven as the way it all actually works. People would have been mistaking something perfectly natural as supernatural.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

DWill wrote:That was super, tat. One comment I have just incidentally, is that it seems somehow more genuine to me for your grandfather to call his god Yahweh. I have kind of a problem with the name 'God' and sense that Christians don't like it when we call God Yahweh instead. But why should it bother them?
Thanks DWill. Let me elaborate further on my grandfathers Yahweh study. He was under the impression that the names Yahweh and Yahshua are to be used and not the more corrupted forms of Jehovah and Jesus. And he went through the reasons for concluding on that.

Forgive me freethinkers and anti-mystical atheists browsing through the thread because I'm about to write something that may burn your eyes for a moment. My grandfather looked me dead in the eye and said Yahweh means "I am that I am" and Yahshua means "Yahweh Saves", or rather "Yahweh is Salvation". And then we went through texts talking about God saying "I give you my name" and everything emphasizing the aspect of the names of God the father and son. He said, "Yahshua - Stephen". WTF did that mean I wondered? I didn't make sense at the time. Not until years later when I penetrated the tetragramaton down to it's bare mythological meaning. The father here is replacing what had been previously the purpose of the goddess myths, "I am" was formerly Isis and Neith and the like. With the patriarchal take over of the previously matriarchal myths the father now took on the representation of mere existence as the totality - "all that ever was, is, or shall ever be.." You have the realm of existence on one hand - infinite and eternal and grounded in deep wonder and mystery - and then we come to the son of existence, the human form, which is ultimately one with the father as it were. "I give you my name..." The myths began to open up to me in ways I never previously understood. "Yahshua - Stephen". "I am that I am is Salvation" But salvation from what? I began to understand that it's a type of salvation from the ignorance of not recognizing who and what we all actually are. We are the universe itself, we are the realm of existence experiencing itself from the perspective of a living creature. There's something in the way of a valid human experience being expressed here in the mythology and like Tulip I took off thinking that major reformation is in order that should sweep across the whole of Christianity. It was an extreme mystical time in my life, but a time of completely atheistic, pantheistic based mysticism if you can follow what I mean by that.

But the more I studied the more I began to realize that the only reason I was detecting these deeper pantheist concepts in the Christian mythos is because it was largely thrown together in Alexandria Egypt with a strong Antioch - Alexandrian connection throughout. Bits of eastern enlightment tossed in with western Judaized views, some of with a strong esotric purpose and some of it totally exoteric. I eventually realized that the notion of any large scale reformation of Christianity is ultimately futile. Sure a case can be made that there are certain things described in the mythos which can be re-interpreted and changed around to suite a modern understanding, but people are set in their ways and any suggestion of change is immediately the realm of anti-christ accusation and negative response. So why bother?

What I did was take a personal interpretation out of it that suites my own world view. God is existence and I am one with that God. It may or may not be a mind, I don't know in any absolute terms. But what ever the realm of existence is or is not, I am that, plain and simple. I get up in the morning and set my eyes on a river stone talisman that I engraved with the tetragramaton written from top to bottom which forms the human image when written that way - as the kabbalists portray it ( www.Yhwh.com). And it's a way of grounding myself in the understanding that I and the whole are one regardless of the appearence of space, distance between objects, and separateness... That's one of my own personal mystical practices which is oriented towards a completely natural based pantheistic form of mystical thinking. I mean this should not come as all too surprising considering the screen name I've chosen, which is simply the exact same type of understanding given in a sanskrit form.

This forum is rather hostile towards mystics and I know this and I have been a part of the hostility at times. But only towards the mysticism of "supernaturalism". As for natural based mystics I have no real problem, I am of that fold. Mysticism to me is very simple. It only has to do with an interest and focus on the mystery underlying existence itself with respect to one's own person existence. It doesn't have to refer to anything unnatural or supernatural. But at the same time I'm willing to admit that this entire worldview I've developed over the years is nothing more than the fact that I was raised a theist brought up to think in supernatural terms and simply kicked the supernatural out of the mix and continued on with a natural form of mystical thinking instead. And those brought up differently who may not suffer from any internal urge towards some type of mystical thinking simply can not understand why an atheist would bother to think in these terms. The psychological aspect of it is interesting to analyze and I was hoping that Johnson may take issue with my posts and offer some advice. I've followed many of his posts about death and near death experiences and the problems with pop culture mystics and such, and I largely enjoy what he has to say about all of it and do agree with a lot of it. I've just sort of thrown my own experiences and stories on the chopping block here for analytical scrutiny...

:wink:
Azrael
Masters

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:The Russian guy was giving his testimony on a show I watched about near death experiences, along with an interesting story about a woman covered by an avalanche who died and returned. I have no idea whether they were true or not, it's just that I went through a time of interest with death and near death experiences and wound up reading "Life After Life" in the process. I was interested in hearing a variety of accounts on the matter...
Not doubting you Tat, as you only have their word sorry if you took it that way.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

And the truth is that I only have the word of someone else as I have never died, been near death, or had any out of body experience myself. The Russian, the woman packed in snow, my grandfather, or even my mothers claim to have been out of her body looking down during the birth of my youngest sister, could all be complete bullshit through and through. But once again that goes back to the agnostic position because this is something that I just don't know one way or the other. Maybe they really did experience these things and maybe they didn't.

Actually, the closest I've come to any possible near death experience is where I was pinned down to the bottom a few times (rolling underwater) while surfing a hurricane swell when I was younger. I went down on a big close out set on the outside break at New Smyrna Inlet while hurricane Andrew was hitting south Miami. I went past the point of struggling to get to the surface and into the point of just letting go and feeling a peaceful feeling come over before blacking out completely. When I came to I was on the surface coughing out water wondering how in the hell I got there. I don't recall anything during the time period where I blacked out. And I don't think I died at any point during the struggle either. But the experience was one that seemed like a brief loss of consciousness only to regain it again. No light at the end of any tunnel or anything like that...

Unless of course I'm about to have a Bruce Willis moment right now and suddenly realize, hey, wait a minute, I died that day and this forum and everything else has all been taking place in the afterlife all the while???

:lol:
Azrael
Masters

Unread post

"Sweet is Death, who comes like a lover."
Vishnu
Intern

Unread post

I died that day and this forum and everything else has all been taking place in the afterlife all the while???
Shit, the jig is up Star Burst.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”