• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Part 2 - Ch. 1: Emanations

#95: Mar. - May 2011 (Non-Fiction)
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Part 2 - Ch. 1: Emanations

Unread post

geo wrote: I had previously speculated that prehistoric folk would have viewed the world in a more metaphorical—less certain—way. They told stories to explain the workings of the world which is why so many of the old stories end with that's why the cheetah has spots or elephants large ears. The ancient people would not have had the certainty which came later with empirical study. This would also explain why during our polytheistic phase that we could so easily take on more gods or could choose between cults that worshipped specific deities while acknowledging the existence of others.
This seems a difficult one to decide, if it even has a general answer. When I consider hunter-gatherer or chieftain societies viewing gods metaphorically, I have trouble seeing people sacrificing to, appeasing, praying to, or worshiping a metaphor. There is a true efficacy in the gods for the early societies, so I'd lean toward thinking they see gods less metaphorically than do the citizens of more developed societies. Polytheists may accept other gods readily, but could the reason be that they view them as actually existing? There would be less point in accepting more metaphors. Wright outlines the evolution of God as going from polytheism to monolatry--with monolatry being the stage where all the gods are real, but only one is the special god of the group--to monotheism, where just the group's god is real. I think of a metaphorically inclined religion as the phase in which the religion has the weakest hold on the believer. I know Christians who are like this, not believing that Christ's resurrection is meant to be taken literally (and RT seems to be in this group).

So I think I am looking at this question more historically than Campbell is. His passages point out the dangers of people mistaking the shadows for substance, but I don't know if he somehow establishes that in history there was a time when this wasn't the case. There would have to be evidence of such a 'paradigm shift' happening.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

You're hitting a real important point here Dwill. As metaphor the religion is far weaker in terms of social power and control as opposed to an exoteric literalist reading. Just look around. There would be no fundamentalist movements without the literal historical readings. They are the call to arms for Christian soliders fighting for the lord... You can't rally that kind of hatred (gays, Jews, any non-Christian) and superiority with a metaphorical structured set of symbolism aimed at realizing that the God you seek to know through the religion is simply the mystery of existence itself, and in it's within you and all those around you. Not a very effect call to arms.

Campbell never established any point on an historical chart and says, 'literalism all started right here.' That isn't really what he's talking about anyways. I don't even think that Tulip would make that claim either because there seems to have always been a mix of literalists and non-literalists. But the myth makers who constructed many of these organized sets of symbols obviously knew what they were organizing as they did it. The solar mysteries about the seasonal changes and life cycles are obviously about nature, not literal Gods and God-Men. Did the creators of the Horus myth really believe that a Falcon headed God-Man walked and ruled in Egypt? Not likely. Did common folks think that Horus was really an ancient ruler of Egypt during the Neter reign? Probably so...
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Just considering the Greek (and Roman) Gods, which are probably the best known, the pantheon included

Poseidon (Neptune) - God of the Sea
Apollo - God of the Sun
Hades (Pluto) - God of Death
Zeus (Jupiter) - King of the Gods - Sky Father
Hera (Juno) Queen of the Gods - Sky Mother
Athena (Minerva) - Goddess of Wisdom
Demeter (Ceres) - Goddess of the Harvest
Aphrodite (Venus) - Goddess of Beauty
Hermes (Mercury) - Messenger of the Gods

When you read the myths, it is apparent that the gods symbolise their realm, so Poseidon in this sense actually is the sea. Gradually, the personification of the deity separated Poseidon from the sea itself, becoming a transcendental deity who controls the sea. Throughout, there is a tension between a rational scientific mentality that uses language of the gods as metaphor, and a credulous popular mentality that takes the metaphor as literal truth. Because literalism has such emotional resonance it has tended to win out, leading contemporary rational people to simply reject all god talk, without seeing that the literal stories are a degraded ignorant corruption of an original real insight.

This applies throughout Christianity as well. The idea that Jesus Christ is a metaphor for the sun has strong explanatory power for the original motivations of the authors of the New Testament. However, the frenzy of orthodox conformism has blinded us to this deconstruction.

Campbell, in his reading of Freud and Jung, provides an immensely valuable psychoanalytic deconstruction of the meaning of myth. People cannot comprehend the scale of literalist delusion, so the therapeutic task has to progressively circle around the discussion in order gradually to home in on the assumptions that are hidden beneath popular belief. Understanding the real meaning of symbols has a liberatory social and psychic impact, but the forces of repression and suppression remain very strong.

Another book that picks up these themes in a valuable way is The Cry for Myth by Rollo May. He argues that myths are the stories that give meaning to our lives. By this understanding, even true beliefs have a mythic function when they provide people with an ultimate sense of purpose and direction.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:I have trouble seeing people sacrificing to, appeasing, praying to, or worshiping a metaphor. There is a true efficacy in the gods for the early societies, so I'd lean toward thinking they see gods less metaphorically than do the citizens of more developed societies. Polytheists may accept other gods readily, but could the reason be that they view them as actually existing?
Robert Tulip wrote:When you read the myths, it is apparent that the gods symbolise their realm, so Poseidon in this sense actually is the sea. Gradually, the personification of the deity separated Poseidon from the sea itself, becoming a transcendental deity who controls the sea. Throughout, there is a tension between a rational scientific mentality that uses language of the gods as metaphor, and a credulous popular mentality that takes the metaphor as literal truth.
I know I'm throwing out some half-baked ideas here and not articulating them very well. But when I say that the ancients viewed the world in a less defined or more dream-like way (better than "metaphorical"), it is as a child's way of seeing the world versus an adult's. That's not to say, the ancients didn't take their rituals and sacred myths seriously. They lived in a world of life-and-death struggles where any flood or drought would have been perceived as punishment by angry gods. So I can imagine that an animal sacrifice or any other perceived connection to the unknown would have been taken very seriously. But as time went on and we began to view the world in more concrete ways, understanding weather patterns not as the vindictiveness of the gods but as random natural events, we began to lose that child-like perspective. The ancients would have had been more in tune to the metaphorical meanings of symbols because they saw the whole world that way. Indeed, to hunter-gatherers there was no separation between the spiritual and physical worlds. Spirits existed, not only in humans, but in all other animals, plants, rocks, and natural phenomena such as thunder and floods and earthquakes. (Robert does an exceptional job explaining this above).

I read somewhere that the ancient Greeks really believed in Zeus and others as literal deities, but that later when Athens and Sparta became major city-states, the gods were viewed more metaphorically. As Campbell says: "In Hellenistic Greece and in Imperial Rome, the ancient gods were reduced to mere civic patrons, household pets, and literary favorites." Perhaps as the gods became less literal--less real--the world itself likewise became less mystical. A division was made between the spirit world and natural world and those metaphorical meanings of symbols were lost.

Campbell actually describes this as a fall from "superconsciousness" to "unconsciousness" in the first chapter of Part II—The Cosmogenic Cycle:

"Indeed, the lapse of superconsciousness into the state of unconsciousness is precisely the meaning of the Biblical image of the Fall. The constriction of consciousness, to which we owe the fact that we see not the source of the universal power but only the phenomenal forms reflected from that power, turns superconsciousness into unconsciousness and, at the same instant and by the same token, creates the world. Redemption consists in the return to superconsciousness and therewith the dissolution of the world. This is the great theme and formula of the cosmogonic cycle, the mythical image of the world's coming to manifestation and subsequent return into the nonmanifest condition."

I've said before that the Fall is the time when we began to see ourselves as above nature, fashioned in God's image and saved by Jesus and blessed with everlasting life. Maybe this is kind of what Campbell is saying here.
-Geo
Question everything
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:Campbell never established any point on an historical chart and says, 'literalism all started right here.'
Here's an interesting footnote on page 222:

By the way, it's good to have a PDF of Campbell's book on my desktop, so that whenever I want to quote something from the text, all I have to do is search a few words of the sentence and then I can copy and paste from the PDF.

"This recognition of the secondary nature of the personality of whatever deity is worshiped is characteristic of most of the traditions of the world (see, for example, supra, p. 164, note 154). In Christianity, Mohammedanism, and Judaism, however, the personality of the divinity is taught to be final—which makes it comparatively difficult for the members of these communions to understand how one may go beyond the limitations of their own anthropomorphic divinity. The result has been, on the one hand, a general obfuscation of the symbols, and on the other, a god-ridden bigotry such as is unmatched elsewhere in the history of religion. For a discussion of the possible origin of this aberration, see Sigmund Freud, Moses and Monotheism (translated by James Strachey; Standard Edn., XXIII, 1964). (Orig. 1939.)"
-Geo
Question everything
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

The literalism is still difficult to pin down. Freud offers a possible origin explanation in Moses and Monotheism but there's no concrete solution on the table. I don't know how there could be. The way Origen speaks of the creation account it makes me wonder how many of the leaders actually took it completely literal. It's complete nonsense when taken literal and that much was evidence enough even back in Origens day. He believed that a God created the world but he didn't take the myth literally to the letter.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:The literalism is still difficult to pin down. Freud offers a possible origin explanation in Moses and Monotheism but there's no concrete solution on the table. I don't know how there could be. The way Origen speaks of the creation account it makes me wonder how many of the leaders actually took it completely literal. It's complete nonsense when taken literal and that much was evidence enough even back in Origens day. He believed that a God created the world but he didn't take the myth literally to the letter.
I agree, Tat. I just posted that footnote because it came up in my reading.

I'm not familiar with Freud's thoughts on the subject, but I would imagine that this "aberration" (the move to a more literal view of a culture's myths) must evolve with religion itself in its transition from animism to polytheism to monotheism as societies themselves evolved from chiefdom, to nation-state, to empire. As a society progresses and becomes more complex, the role of religion seems to change. As Tat says, a metaphorical religion is far weaker in terms of social power and control as opposed to a literalist reading. If this is true, we are indeed tools of religion.

Apologies to Wright.
-Geo
Question everything
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote: Campbell never established any point on an historical chart and says, 'literalism all started right here.' That isn't really what he's talking about anyways. I don't even think that Tulip would make that claim either because there seems to have always been a mix of literalists and non-literalists. But the myth makers who constructed many of these organized sets of symbols obviously knew what they were organizing as they did it. The solar mysteries about the seasonal changes and life cycles are obviously about nature, not literal Gods and God-Men. Did the creators of the Horus myth really believe that a Falcon headed God-Man walked and ruled in Egypt? Not likely. Did common folks think that Horus was really an ancient ruler of Egypt during the Neter reign? Probably so...
The flexibility regarding the historical question is helpful. Probably today we still have roughly the same proportion of those who head for the exoteric content vs. the esoteric. Exoteric=popular, I would think is a fair generalization. I also see the value in flexibility about whether texts have primarily an eso- or exoteric thrust. Again, there is likely to be a mixture, especially for writings like the Gospels, whose authors didn't exercise strong authorial control over the contents. They apparently tried to summarize both the events and the theology rather than injecting novel content. Of course their own perspectives played some role in what they emphasized. For me, the exoteric purpose of the gospels stands out as the reason they were written in the first place. I can't see these narratives being written as allegories of ancient symbolism, though that may be seen as a constituent in them. There is too much that relates to the situation, socially and religiously, that the writers looked out on. The Gospels as well as Acts are propaganda, if I can use that word without the highly negative meaning it usually has. The exoteric nature of the Gospels could be what recommended them to the church fathers compiling the Bible in the 4th Century, as opposed to the gnostic books. So considering every text individually seems to be the best approach.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Geo, this is a fast forward in time from the Hero but here's a bit from "Thou Art That: transforming religious metaphor" p.43 - 49
"Two mythologies are found in the story of the flood. One is that of the planting culture, the old-city mythology of cyclic karma - of the ages of gold, silver, bronze, iron, during which the worlds moral condition deteriorated. The flood then came and wiped it out to bring about a fresh start. India abounds in flood stories of this kind, for the flood is a basic story associated with this cyclic experience through what we might term a year of years.

The second mythology is that of a God who created people, some of whom misbehave. Then he said, "I regret that I have created these people. Look what I have done! I am going to wipe them all out." That is another God, and certainly not the same God as in the first mythology. I emphasize this observation because two totally different idea of God are involved in the word "God." The latter God is one who creates. One thinks of that God as a fact. That we might say, is the Creator. We conceptualize that God as an IT. On the other hand, in the impersonal dynamism of the cycles of time the gods are simply the agent of the cycle. The Hindu gods are not, therefore, creators in the way that Yahweh is a creator. This Yahweh creator is, one might say, a metaphysical fact. When he makes up his mind to do something, it is promptly accomplished. This one of the mythologies of God in the Bible was brought in by the nomads who, as herding people, had inherited the mythology of the hunting process in which God is considered out there. The planting people have a mythology of God in here as the dynamism that informs all of life.

To give a sense of the real meaning of this agricultural mythology, one must examine the actual number of years it takes for the spring equinox to pass through all of the signs of the zodiac. Called "the precession of the equinoxes," it takes 25,920 years to complete a cycle of the zodiac. Divide 25,920 by 60, and you get 432. This number, as we shall see, provides the link between the agricultural mythology and the actual cycles of time...

These numbers, anchored in the Sumerian discovery that the order of the universe can be discovered mathematically, are found almost everywhere. In the Hindu sacred epics, the number of years calculated to the present cycle of time, the Kali Yuga as it is known, is 432,000, the number of the "great cycle" (mahayuga) being 4,320,000. In the Icelandic Eddas, one reads of the 540 doors in Othin's (Wotan's) hall, through which, at the end of the current cycle of time, 800 divine warriors would pass to battle the antigods in that "Day of the Wolf" to mutual annihilation. Multiplying 540 by 800 equals 432,000. An early Babylonian account, translated into Greek by a Babylonian priest named Berossos in 280 B.C., tells us that 432,000 years passed between the time of the rise of the city Kish and the coming of the mythological flood (the biblical story derives from this earlier source). In a famous paper on "Dates in Genesis," the Jewish Assyriologist Julius Oppert, in 1887, showed that in the 1,656 years from the creation to the Flood, 86,400 years had passed. Divided by two, that again produces 43,200.

That is a hint, buried in Genesis, that two notions of God are to be found in the pages. The first was the willful, personal creator who greived at the wickedness of his creatures and vowed to wipe them out. The other God, in complete contrast, is found hidden in that disguised number, 86,400. a veiled reference to the Gentile, Sumero-Babylonian, mathematical cosmology of cycles, ever recurring, of impersonal time. During this cycle, kingdoms and peoples arise and recede in seasons of the mulitple of 43,200. We recall that the Jewish people were exiles in Babylon for half a century and could, indeed, have absorbed these notions that, exquisitely hidden, provide a subtext of recurring cycle of time in their scriptures.

The mysterious procession of the night sky, then, with the soundless movement of planetary lights through the fixed stars, had provided the fundamental revelation, when mathematically charted, of a cosmic order. The human imagination reacted from its core, and a vast concept took form: The universe as a living being in the image of a great mother, within whose womb all the worlds, both of life and death, had their existence... ...The old mythologies, then, put the society in accord with nature. Their festivals were correlated with the cycles of the seasons. That also put the individual in accord with the society and through that in harmony with nature. There is no sense of tension between individual and society in such a mythological world....

Genesis

It is very interesting to note, in chapters five and six of Genesis, how the priests worked out the relationship between the Mesopotamina Kings, who lived for that period 43,200 years, and the ten Jewish patriarchs. They thereby united the two mythologies of Yahweh and of the mathematically worked out cycles of time.

The first part of the book of Genesis is sheer mythology, and it is largely that of the Mesopotamian people. Here we have the Garden of Eden, for this si the mythological age in which we enter a mythological garden. The story of not eating the apple of the forbidden tree is an old folklore motif, that is called "the one forbidden thing." Do not open this door, do not look over here, do not eat this food. If you want to understand why God would have doen a thing like that, all you need do is tell somebody, "Don't do this." Human nature will do the rest...."
And what Campbell didn't delve into, which he knew of course, is this evolution from polytheism to monolatry and finally to monotheism. The creator God in Genesis was not a God, but rather the "Gods", the Elohim of Canaanite origins. So it was really two stories of "Gods", both of which came from a more remote Middle Eastern period and then were eventually interpreted in singular God terms much later. Campbell, for the sake of the audience, relayed the myth in terms of how it's generally understood by modern monotheistic understanding audiences. It's evident that these creation and flood myths were not originally on the literalistic level that came much later with the late evolution of a monotheistic reading. But the deeper mythological roots founding it all is evident and can be brought to the surface for closer analysis. There's a clash of Nomad myth with agriculturalist myth and the whole thing is sort of thrown together...
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote: The flexibility regarding the historical question is helpful. Probably today we still have roughly the same proportion of those who head for the exoteric content vs. the esoteric. Exoteric=popular, I would think is a fair generalization. I also see the value in flexibility about whether texts have primarily an eso- or exoteric thrust. Again, there is likely to be a mixture, especially for writings like the Gospels, whose authors didn't exercise strong authorial control over the contents. They apparently tried to summarize both the events and the theology rather than injecting novel content. Of course their own perspectives played some role in what they emphasized. For me, the exoteric purpose of the gospels stands out as the reason they were written in the first place. I can't see these narratives being written as allegories of ancient symbolism, though that may be seen as a constituent in them. There is too much that relates to the situation, socially and religiously, that the writers looked out on. The Gospels as well as Acts are propaganda, if I can use that word without the highly negative meaning it usually has. The exoteric nature of the Gospels could be what recommended them to the church fathers compiling the Bible in the 4th Century, as opposed to the gnostic books. So considering every text individually seems to be the best approach.
Thanks, DWill, you make some excellent points. It does seem that with any religious text you will get the full gamut of interpretation--from exoteric to esoteric, probably from the start. The proportions may fluctuate some over time in response to conditions on the ground. When things are bad, for example, a more exoteric perspective is called for to summon hatred for the enemy. Asserting that the myths were intended as esoteric from the start may be farfetched. Though I still think it's difficult from the 21st-century to really understand the ancient perspective. With so much uncertainty in their lives, certainty would have been a strange concept to them. It seems possible that stories were told as possible explanations for the way things were, one easily substituted for another or all held equally valid. Another factor is that a great many of the ancient myths we are talking about existed, in some cases for many centuries, strictly as an oral tradition. As such, the stories would have been in a constant state of flux, adjusted to suit differing cultures and conditions, before eventually being written down. The bards would have told the same tale in different ways. The medium itself was inconsistent.

There are many such creation myths and flood myths that resemble one another in some ways, but also differ significantly in other ways. The Iliad seems to bolster DWill's view that myths were viewed more literally early on and more metaphorically later. The scholarly view is that the ancient Greeks (1000 BC) possibly would have literally believed the instances of divine interventions in the epic poem, but around Homer's time, the Greeks supposedly were more skeptical of those deities and probably read them as entertainment or nostalgia of ye olde days.
-Geo
Question everything

Return to “The Hero with a Thousand Faces - by Joseph Campbell”