• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Creating Book Trailers

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Natasha Larry
Almost Comfortable

Creating Book Trailers

Unread post

Does anyone here have any tips/tricks for creating a book trailer for you tube. I considered hiring a company to do so, but I would REALLY rather not. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: Creating Book Trailers

Unread post

Check out what other authors have done for their book trailers.

Check out what Marvel comics, and other illustration oriented media do to promote new trends in their publishing.

Seeing what lengths people have pushed their projects to can inspire you to match, or best them.

I would recommend doing an illustrated, or animated trailer, unless you have access to HIGH quality filming techniques and actors. Check out still photo animations with evocative narration / text animation / music.

Poorly done, or even moderately skilled live action is much easier to spot than animation. It can be difficult enough to get your audience to tune to your trailer. Shooting something on your camera phone with dudes you found at the YMCA trying to act out a scene from your book is just begging to be skipped.

If you are not familiar with animation or producing live action video, you will want to hire someone who is to do it for you, or at least assist in bringing your ideas to life.

There is a lot of effort that goes into producing even short original videos and the learning curve itself will consume your first couple projects. If you are looking for results NOW, then you need someone with experience to help you.

This doesn't have to be terribly expensive. Try looking at a local college for a film or animation major to assist. You can pay them a pittance compared to normal production prices (baseline 100 dollars an hour) and get pretty good results.

If you do use a student, check with their teachers or other reliable sources to determine their work ethic.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Natasha Larry
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Thank you that helps alot. I would have never thought of checking into college students, I think that is something I will certainly look into
Rob Dunbar
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

You might want to check out YourBookTube.
Robert Dunbar
UninvitedBooks.com
DunbarAuthor.com
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I think johnson1010 has given you as good of advice as you'll get. The argument to use animation sounds solid. Cheap video will scare away your audience.
James043
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

We just finished one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RRwiT7PVbo

There are some really cool ones out there though and we're hoping to continue to refine the process.

I would imagine the trailer would really depend on the type of book. For example, a sci-fi trailer would be entirely different than a tearjerker. If you have graphics for the book that's a big help. Otherwise you'll need quite a bit of text. Of course you'll probably need that anyways. Music or ambient noise is always important so that would be what I consider next. By any stretch ours is pretty basic, but it provides another mechanism with which to draw people to the book. Length is another factor... how long does it need to be or even should it be.

Our next venture will be incorporating flash animations, but again really basic... setting things to paths and letting them just move through, winding up at the end form/result.

James

Return to “Author's Lounge”