• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Short or long stories?

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
dangerousandmoving
Getting Comfortable

Short or long stories?

Unread post

Which do you prefer to write, short or long stories? And why do you prefer to write them?

Personally I prefer writing short stories, but that is usually because my ideas work best as short stories rather than long :D
bravestboy
Getting Comfortable

Re: Short or long stories?

Unread post

I agree short stories; It's easier to get the point across without losing it.
dangerousandmoving
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Exactly. Obviously won't work for all short stories, but with what I generally write about I find that I can focus more on the plot than the characters and setting. Some stories require more description that others, but I tend to find less description works better. Where as with a long story more description is needed and more focus on the characters is needed as they have to develop and so on. I find that when the focus goes off the plot too much I get bored writing it
NY152
Upwardly Mobile

Unread post

I tried to write long stories. Mostly I like talking, and I love explaining things. But then they started to get way to long, and I started to get lazy, and not care, so I quit. I started writing short stories and they somehow still come out long stories. I'm not sure what I should do, but I have been thinking of writing short plays. Like Shakespeare. We'll just have to see.
EndlessLaymon
Devoted Member

Unread post

I usually aim to write long novels but both of my novels ended up being shorter than I anticipated :wall:
It's a scary night in the lonesome October
Gao Yu Qing
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

long stories. *cough250,000wordnovelcough* Perhaps I just can't learn to tell a short story >.> *looks at the list of other novels in progress and sighs*

Return to “Author's Lounge”