Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:44 am

<< Week of July 27, 2016 >>
Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday
27 Day Month

28 Day Month

29 Day Month

30 Day Month

31 Day Month

1 Day Month

2 Day Month





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Neil deGrasse Tyson stops a religious troll 
Author Message
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15093
Location: Florida
Thanks: 2899
Thanked: 1114 times in 882 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)
Highscores: 6

 Neil deGrasse Tyson stops a religious troll
Listen to how Neil answers the religious troll! Just awesome!




Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:59 am
Profile Email WWW
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Devoted Member


Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 99
Thanks: 0
Thanked: 18 times in 17 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United Kingdom (uk)

Post Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson stops a religious troll
I love this guy he reminds me of the late great Carl Sagan... that video was just awesome.


_________________
It's a scary night in the lonesome October


Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:24 am
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15093
Location: Florida
Thanks: 2899
Thanked: 1114 times in 882 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)
Highscores: 6

Post Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson stops a religious troll
I loved his response too. It actually has me reconsidering my desire to be cremated instead of buried. Maybe I should be returning something to the earth that has been so good to me.



Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:46 pm
Profile Email WWW
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 4836
Location: Florida
Thanks: 159
Thanked: 323 times in 277 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson stops a religious troll
I am at a loss to understand why anyone is applauding or satisfied with the answer. It is blatantly bogus as cremation returns just as much energy to the biosphere as burial. In fact conservation of energy requires that either process be the same. It is true to that the return of the energy is over different time frames but will be the same either way. Who is this guy? Is he a physicist? Doesn't seem very up on physics or chemistry. I think Carl would be insulted by the comparison.


_________________
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.


Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:22 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I issue my own library cards!

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1725
Thanks: 151
Thanked: 709 times in 530 posts
Gender: Male

Post Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson stops a religious troll
stahrwe wrote:
I am at a loss to understand why anyone is applauding or satisfied with the answer. It is blatantly bogus as cremation returns just as much energy to the biosphere as burial. In fact conservation of energy requires that either process be the same. It is true to that the return of the energy is over different time frames but will be the same either way. Who is this guy? Is he a physicist? Doesn't seem very up on physics or chemistry. I think Carl would be insulted by the comparison.


Yes, but clearly there is a difference in usable energy with the two options. Animals and plants cannot get nutrients from ash, and most of the heat energy would presumably be dissipated.



Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:29 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 4836
Location: Florida
Thanks: 159
Thanked: 323 times in 277 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson stops a religious troll
Dexter wrote:
stahrwe wrote:
I am at a loss to understand why anyone is applauding or satisfied with the answer. It is blatantly bogus as cremation returns just as much energy to the biosphere as burial. In fact conservation of energy requires that either process be the same. It is true to that the return of the energy is over different time frames but will be the same either way. Who is this guy? Is he a physicist? Doesn't seem very up on physics or chemistry. I think Carl would be insulted by the comparison.


Yes, but clearly there is a difference in usable energy with the two options. Animals and plants cannot get nutrients from ash, and most of the heat energy would presumably be dissipated.


Incorrect, check on ash as fertilizer. It is usable. Were people applauding that he wanted to feed worms with his body? If so, I don't see how he shut down the questioner, or even answered the question. He Evaded it.


_________________
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.


Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I issue my own library cards!

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1725
Thanks: 151
Thanked: 709 times in 530 posts
Gender: Male

Post Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson stops a religious troll
stahrwe wrote:
Incorrect, check on ash as fertilizer. It is usable. Were people applauding that he wanted to feed worms with his body? If so, I don't see how he shut down the questioner, or even answered the question. He Evaded it.


Maybe you're right about that. All the better for him, if he wants his energy to be recycled.



Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:42 pm
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Thinks Night Out is Reading on Porch

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 3984
Location: NC
Thanks: 1525
Thanked: 1610 times in 1226 posts
Gender: Male

Post Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson stops a religious troll
Here's an approximation of the man's question.

A man is condemned to death and everything taken away from him. All he has left is his reason and his sense of self. He wants to come to terms with his pending death by consoling himself that the world has order. That there is something that keeps things together. He tries to reason why he should be at peace at the time of his death. Problem is his source of origin is a belief in God. What would you do?

Fair enough. But I would question the notion that one should feel peace at the time of one's death. I keep thinking of Dylan Thomas' "Rage, rage against the dying of the light." This man is about to be executed. I'm not sure feeling peace is a reasonable or attainable goal.

Neil deGrasse Tyson's response is that he would request to be buried, not cremated, so that the energy from his body could feed the flora and fauna, just as he has dined on flora and fauna to sustain his existence.

This doesn't seem like a dodge at all. In fact, since it is a personal question—what would you do?—there's no right or wrong answer. The idea that there's order in the universe seems perfectly compatible with Neil deGrasse Tyson's worldview. Understanding the order of the universe hardly needs to be based on a belief in God.

It's a beautiful answer. Tyson feels a connectedness with the universe and he is comfortable with the idea of death to want to give back a little from what he has taken from the universe. Death is part of the cycle of life.

As Tyson once said:

We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically


_________________
-Geo
Question everything


Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:13 pm
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 4836
Location: Florida
Thanks: 159
Thanked: 323 times in 277 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson stops a religious troll
geo wrote:
Here's an approximation of the man's question.

A man is condemned to death and everything taken away from him. All he has left is his reason and his sense of self. He wants to come to terms with his pending death by consoling himself that the world has order. That there is something that keeps things together. He tries to reason why he should be at peace at the time of his death. Problem is his source of origin is a belief in God. What would you do?

Fair enough. But I would question the notion that one should feel peace at the time of one's death. I keep thinking of Dylan Thomas' "Rage, rage against the dying of the light." This man is about to be executed. I'm not sure feeling peace is a reasonable or attainable goal.

Neil deGrasse Tyson's response is that he would request to be buried, not cremated, so that the energy from his body could feed the flora and fauna, just as he has dined on flora and fauna to sustain his existence.

This doesn't seem like a dodge at all. In fact, since it is a personal question—what would you do?—there's no right or wrong answer. The idea that there's order in the universe seems perfectly compatible with Neil deGrasse Tyson's worldview. Understanding the order of the universe hardly needs to be based on a belief in God.

It's a beautiful answer. Tyson feels a connectedness with the universe and he is comfortable with the idea of death to want to give back a little from what he has taken from the universe. Death is part of the cycle of life.

As Tyson once said:

We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically


If that is his 'final' answer then his life had no meaning other than to accumulate fuel to power lower life forms at his death. Some look for more significance in death. Some deaths has resulted in laws which make the world safer, some deaths have satisfied a perceived need for justice, some deaths have demonstrated a dedication to a cause worth dying for, some have been the result of defending family, friends and even strangers, if all Degrasse could come up with was taking a dirt nap and feeding worms, good for him, I guess, but I don't see the triumph in the answer, in fact, given the examples I gave above, it seems pretty lame.

I was nice of the moderator to allow the troll to ask his question however reluctantly he granted the permission.

Who is the Degrasse guy anyway?


_________________
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.


Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:22 am
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I issue my own library cards!

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1725
Thanks: 151
Thanked: 709 times in 530 posts
Gender: Male

Post Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson stops a religious troll
stahrwe wrote:
If that is his 'final' answer then his life had no meaning other than to accumulate fuel to power lower life forms at his death. Some look for more significance in death. Some deaths has resulted in laws which make the world safer, some deaths have satisfied a perceived need for justice, some deaths have demonstrated a dedication to a cause worth dying for, some have been the result of defending family, friends and even strangers, if all Degrasse could come up with was taking a dirt nap and feeding worms, good for him, I guess, but I don't see the triumph in the answer, in fact, given the examples I gave above, it seems pretty lame.


He didn't say that the meaning of his life was to power lower life forms. He is just accepting the fact that he won't be going to fairyland when he dies.



Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:07 am
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Thinks Night Out is Reading on Porch

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 3984
Location: NC
Thanks: 1525
Thanked: 1610 times in 1226 posts
Gender: Male

Post Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson stops a religious troll
stahrwe wrote:
If that is his 'final' answer then his life had no meaning other than to accumulate fuel to power lower life forms at his death. Some look for more significance in death.


You miss the point as usual. Was Tyson asked to list his accomplishments? As a scientist and as an educator, he has given his life plenty of meaning. Rather than partake in the delusional belief of an afterlife, Tyson would humbly offer his decaying body to the flora and fauna.


_________________
-Geo
Question everything


Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:26 am
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Diamond Contributor

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 4836
Location: Florida
Thanks: 159
Thanked: 323 times in 277 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson stops a religious troll
geo wrote:
Here's an approximation of the man's question.

A man is condemned to death and everything taken away from him. All he has left is his reason and his sense of self. He wants to come to terms with his pending death by consoling himself that the world has order. That there is something that keeps things together. He tries to reason why he should be at peace at the time of his death. Problem is his source of origin is a belief in God. What would you do?

Fair enough. But I would question the notion that one should feel peace at the time of one's death. I keep thinking of Dylan Thomas' "Rage, rage against the dying of the light." This man is about to be executed. I'm not sure feeling peace is a reasonable or attainable goal.

Neil deGrasse Tyson's response is that he would request to be buried, not cremated, so that the energy from his body could feed the flora and fauna, just as he has dined on flora and fauna to sustain his existence.

This doesn't seem like a dodge at all. In fact, since it is a personal question—what would you do?—there's no right or wrong answer. The idea that there's order in the universe seems perfectly compatible with Neil deGrasse Tyson's worldview. Understanding the order of the universe hardly needs to be based on a belief in God.

It's a beautiful answer. Tyson feels a connectedness with the universe and he is comfortable with the idea of death to want to give back a little from what he has taken from the universe. Death is part of the cycle of life.

As Tyson once said:

We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically


I disagree with this 'connected' business. It is a fiction created to soothe fears.

'Connected to each other, biologically;' there is no difference between living on the streets of NYC and living on a remote island, with no contact with other humans?

'To the earth, chemically,' I should be able to draw nourishment through the connection without eating

'To the universe atomically,' This is Star Wars Force clap trap, sure the universe affects me but I am neither connected to it or disconnected from it anymore than I am connected to my car when I drive or my bicycle when I ride it.


_________________
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.


Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:39 am
Profile Email
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Moderator
Gold Contributor

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 6846
Location: California
Thanks: 1014
Thanked: 1935 times in 1565 posts
Gender: Male
Country: United States (us)

Post Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson stops a religious troll
Quote:
I disagree with this 'connected' business. It is a fiction created to soothe fears.

'Connected to each other, biologically;' there is no difference between living on the streets of NYC and living on a remote island, with no contact with other humans?

'To the earth, chemically,' I should be able to draw nourishment through the connection without eating

'To the universe atomically,' This is Star Wars Force clap trap, sure the universe affects me but I am neither connected to it or disconnected from it anymore than I am connected to my car when I drive or my bicycle when I ride it.


Stahrwe, this is rubbish. I'm baffled as to why you even have a problem with Tyson's answer. The question asked for his opinion and he gave it, as an opinion, poetically. He wasn't framing an argument. His answer was that the matter he is composed of will be used elsewhere. Nothing more. You hiss and snarl whenever an atheist gives an answer, but this answer is docile.



Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:51 am
Profile
User avatar
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Thinks Night Out is Reading on Porch

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 3984
Location: NC
Thanks: 1525
Thanked: 1610 times in 1226 posts
Gender: Male

Post Re: Neil deGrasse Tyson stops a religious troll
Interbane wrote:
Stahrwe wrote:
I disagree with this 'connected' business. It is a fiction created to soothe fears.

'Connected to each other, biologically;' there is no difference between living on the streets of NYC and living on a remote island, with no contact with other humans?

'To the earth, chemically,' I should be able to draw nourishment through the connection without eating

'To the universe atomically,' This is Star Wars Force clap trap, sure the universe affects me but I am neither connected to it or disconnected from it anymore than I am connected to my car when I drive or my bicycle when I ride it.


Stahrwe, this is rubbish. I'm baffled as to why you even have a problem with Tyson's answer. The question asked for his opinion and he gave it, as an opinion, poetically. He wasn't framing an argument. His answer was that the matter he is composed of will be used elsewhere. Nothing more. You hiss and snarl whenever an atheist gives an answer, but this answer is docile.


He's being a troll as usual. It's certainly interesting that someone who believes in Biblical fairy tales would call the simple statement that we are are all connected a fiction. I have always liked what Sagan said, that "we are a way for the cosmos to know itself."


_________________
-Geo
Question everything


Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:38 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:



Site Links 
Forum Rules & Tips
Frequently Asked Questions
BBCode Explained
Info for Authors & Publishers
Author Interview Transcripts
Be a Book Discussion Leader!
IDEAS FOR WHAT TO READ:
Bestsellers
Book Awards
• Book Reviews
• Online Books
• Team Picks
Newspaper Book Sections

WHERE TO BUY BOOKS:
• Great resource pages are coming!

BEHIND THE BOOKS:
• Great resource pages are coming!

Featured Books

Books by New Authors


*

FACTS is a select group of active BookTalk.org members passionate about promoting Freethought, Atheism, Critical Thinking and Science.

Apply to join FACTS
See who else is in FACTS







BookTalk.org is a free book discussion group or online reading group or book club. We read and talk about both fiction and non-fiction books as a group. We host live author chats where booktalk members can interact with and interview authors. We give away free books to our members in book giveaway contests. Our booktalks are open to everybody who enjoys talking about books. Our book forums include book reviews, author interviews and book resources for readers and book lovers. Discussing books is our passion. We're a literature forum, or reading forum. Register a free book club account today! Suggest nonfiction and fiction books. Authors and publishers are welcome to advertise their books or ask for an author chat or author interview.



Copyright © BookTalk.org 2002-2016. All rights reserved.
Display Pagerank