• In total there are 8 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Ch. 12 - Survival of the Fittest Christianity

#88: Sept. - Oct. 2010 (Non-Fiction)
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Ch. 12 - Survival of the Fittest Christianity

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:
Popularity is not a measure of the fittness of Christianity. Prophecy says that as the end times near there will be a great falling away. A world 'church' will emerge which is an amalgum of all religions. Only a remnant of true Christianity will remain. The fact that true Christainity is nearly gone does not mean that it is not the fittest. That is what I mean.
But yes, in Darwinian terms (even though Darwin never used the phrase "survival of the fittest") "fittest" is the form most likely to survive. It doesn't confer any value, just a kind of brute force. I do have to say that the end you see as so terrible seems to me a welcome development.
Last edited by DWill on Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

DWill wrote:
stahrwe wrote:
Popularity is not a measure of the fittness of Christianity. Prophecy says that as the end times near there will be a great falling away. A world 'church' will emerge which is an amalgum of all religions. Only a remnant of true Christianity will remain. The fact that true Christainity is nearly gone does not mean that it is not the fittest. That is what I mean.
But yes, in Darwinian terms (even though Darwin never used the phrase "survival of the fittest") "fittest" is the form most likely to survive. It doesn't confer any value, just a kind of brute force. I do have to say that the end you see as so terrible seems to me a welcome development.
The stage I described was only an intermediate step, it will be followed by every everyone bowing and acknowledging that Jesus is Lord when He reveals Himself, sorry.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

If you're still a member of Booktalk when that date comes and goes, I'd very much like to hear your explanation as to why it didn't happen. Breaking the pinata that is.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Interbane wrote:If you're still a member of Booktalk when that date comes and goes, I'd very much like to hear your explanation as to why it didn't happen. Breaking the pinata that is.
Your reference to pinata lost me.
As for the date, don't know when that date will be.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Bunches of mentally immature people greedily awaiting something they greatly desire. That's the image the rapture brings to mind every time I hear of it.

This is a tangent, I don't mean to barb you into making a response. Sorry Dwill.

Back to the subject, only after Jesus returns with the "true" religion resurface as the fittest? This is prophecy and is non-sequitur. This is one of the problems with bringing mysticism into a rational discussion, you abandon logic. Please stick to what is real in these discussions. There may be other avenues of logical approach to show that those churches which are currently most popular will not in the future be the fittest. But for now, they are.

Return to “The Evolution of God - by Robert Wright”