• In total there are 10 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

lolita dresses

#55: Oct. - Nov. 2008 (Fiction)
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Re: lolita dresses

Unread post

That's exactly it. It looks as though men are being cheated. Girls wear more revealing clothing but they've lost a good deal of costume. The dresses get shorter, tighter, and simpler. That's all well and good. In fact, that's awesome. But every once in a long while I'd like to see a girl fully decked out.

I want to see refinery and a pretty face in a large, multi-layered dress that looks like it took her all of two hours to put on. That's something to see. Despite the encumbrance she's graceful and pleasant. She's charming and slightly coquettish. She hides the bones in her closet so well you'd think she was an angel. She has pleasant conversation and enjoys speaking but no one would consider her overbearing. Everyone's simply captivated by her conversation and they yield the floor to her. She has many passages of great works memorized and her manner recalls of more noble days long past.

Then the next day she's a hot, highly promiscuous blond in shorts and a tight blouse that's more bra than blouse.

Just something to change things up a bit.... lol

When I was in Japan I witnessed people dressed in a wide array of styles. It isn't like the United States where there is basically a small batch of styles to choose from. In Japan, there are some really bizarre styles. You can see every style the United States has come up with since the 50's there. These people dress themselves in a time period or model themselves on a single person. They're very dedicated to it, too. They hang out with like minded individuals and sometimes they're even a tourist attraction - like the Harajuku girls.

I think this is more a phase of life than anything else just like here in the states. But over there they really go all out and there is more of a selection and greater availability of costume clothing.
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I can't remember ever seeing a guy who looked like he spent two hours on his appearance. Usually "a lot of effort" from a guy is putting on a suit (less than five minutes), a tie (which he will complain about all night cuz it's "strangling" him), and combing his hair. Maybe 15 minutes? Chee, what a hardship. Meanwhile the ladies are in dresses and get ups that take ages to put together, wearing shoes that are literally crippling them, outfits that crush their whole bodies so they can't breathe (gotta rock the corsets, nylons, etc), and then make-up, hair, etc, which can take over an hour by itself.

I'm sure a lot of guys would prefer a return to the demure and fully decorated women of the past. Sadly women having rights and the acknowledgement of status as a citizen has (for the most part) put their days as a decorative object somewhat behind them. Beyond which, on a daily basis most women put in a lot more time on their appearance than men. Asking women to put in effort that men won't do seems pretty hypocritical!

"Just a Girl" by No Doubt just came on my player. How appropriate!
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Oh Pres., you are so charismatically macho!
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

You're right Theo... but I think if girls demanded that their men dress a certain way it would be within 24 hours that you'd see most every guy dressed in whatever fashion women wanted.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Not to mention that women who were those dresses came from noble families who could afford a new dress every day... (Wear the same dress twice? Scandalous!) Those dresses did require a couple servants or ladies-in-waiting to help get you into them. :lol:

I generally like the style of dresses made after the 19th century..
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

When I was a little kid I thought the way people dressed up for the prom or what have you was the same as the clothes that Sleeping Beautiful wore.. with the big skirts, decorated tops, and those long sleeves that go down and cover the hand. I don't know if I'm happy or sad that that is not the case! Maybe a little of both.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

You're Canadian so it doesn't really matter. Don't you girls wear like moose skins anyway? :P
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Maybe for mucking about, but we bring out the polar bear fur and seal skin when we want to look classy.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Return to “Lolita - by Vladimir Nabokov”