Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:28 am

<< Week of July 28, 2016 >>
Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday
28 Day Month

29 Day Month

30 Day Month

31 Day Month

1 Day Month

2 Day Month

3 Day Month

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
A Proposition For My Absent Good Omens Readers 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Finds books under furniture

Silver Contributor

Post A Proposition For My Absent Good Omens Readers
Come on, guys, don't give up on discussing Good Omens just yet! We haven't even discussed the title character, one Agnes Nutter, or her descendant, Anathema Device! We have yet to talk about Newton Pulsifer, the last Witchfinder Private, or his Sergeant, the insane but lovable Shadwell, and his landlady, the sometimes medium, sometimes Jezebel, Madame Tracy!

I've got an idea in mind, a proposition, if you will, to change things up a bit and make this discussion more interesting.

How about a photographic literary scavenger hunt! I'll name certain objects/events from each chapter (starting at "Wednesday," since we've already discussed the first two chapters), and all of you readers can take photos of whatever you interpret these objects/events to be in the world around you, and post them here or link them to a Photobucket/Flickr/MySpace/Facebook account. What do you say to that? Any takers? Anyone adventurous enough to play with me (and Neil and Terry, too)?

Let me know who's in so we can do this thing! :mrgreen:

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:40 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Post Re: A Proposition For My Absent Good Omens Readers
bleachededen wrote:
Come on, guys, don't give up on discussing Good Omens just yet! We haven't even discussed the title character, one Agnes Nutter, or her descendant, Anathema Device! We have yet to talk about Newton Pulsifer, the last Witchfinder Private, or his Sergeant, the insane but lovable Shadwell, and his landlady, the sometimes medium, sometimes Jezebel, Madame Tracy!

I've got an idea in mind, a proposition, if you will, to change things up a bit and make this discussion more interesting.

How about a photographic literary scavenger hunt! I'll name certain objects/events from each chapter (starting at "Wednesday," since we've already discussed the first two chapters), and all of you readers can take photos of whatever you interpret these objects/events to be in the world around you, and post them here or link them to a Photobucket/Flickr/MySpace/Facebook account. What do you say to that? Any takers? Anyone adventurous enough to play with me (and Neil and Terry, too)?

Let me know who's in so we can do this thing! :mrgreen:
Agnes Nutter wrote the fictional story of the end of the world in Good Omens. And, secretly, arch warlock Alastair Crowley is the main character! God v Satan, via angels and demons, is an interesting topic to satirise by implying that anybody who reads this sort of stuff is nuts. It is a way to bracket religion, opening the Bible, as the core predictive text of the shape of history, to mockery and ridicule. I like Neil Gaiman, having read American Gods. I haven't previously read anything else by Terry Pratchett. I noticed on a web page some information about which of them wrote which bits of Good Omens, so it is interesting to listen for their voices in the interplay of the book.

I read about half of Good Omens and then accidentally put it aside. I got up to where Anathema Device accidentally gives the only copy of the book by her ancestor Ms Nutter to the creepy crawly dynamic duo from heaven and hell.

Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:12 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Silver Contributor

She makes do without it, but you'll get to that when you pick the book up again. ;)

Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:32 am

Silver Contributor

Seriously, where did everybody go? Is anyone still reading?

Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:39 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Graduate Student

Silver Contributor

:( I bought the book. I am still working through other books on the booktalk lists. :P I am a little obsessed about reading all of them but the ones I am really not interested in. Plus, I have a library full of books I am working on. Need more time in the day! :mrgreen:

Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:04 am
Almost Comfortable

count me in.. i'll have to fine my old copy of good omens

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:37 pm
Profile Email

Silver Contributor

Yay! I don't care if we start back at the first chapter, I just want my discussion back! I can't discuss it with myself, that's just silly. Besides, I already did that the first time I read the book! :lol:

Welcome, all, the more the merrier! This book is seriously too much fun to miss! :)

Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:46 pm
Eligible to vote in book polls!

bleachededen wrote:
Yay! I don't care if we start back at the first chapter, I just want my discussion back! I can't discuss it with myself, that's just silly. Besides, I already did that the first time I read the book! :lol:

Welcome, all, the more the merrier! This book is seriously too much fun to miss! :)

Okay, good, my copy just arrived in the mail. I'll start reading and post my first impressions.

Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:26 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.