Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 28, 2016 11:03 am

<< Week of May 28, 2016 >>
Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
28 Day Month

29 Day Month

30 Day Month

31 Day Month

1 Day Month

2 Day Month

3 Day Month

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Planetary orbit simulator. Well, there goes productivity. 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

Post Planetary orbit simulator. Well, there goes productivity.
http://phet.colorado.edu/simulations/si ... lar_System

you can add planets and set rates, or use the pre-selected sets to watch 2-d planetary orbit simulations.

Newton, if only you could see this.

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

The following user would like to thank johnson1010 for this post:
Cattleman, Rajesh, Robert Tulip
Sun May 30, 2010 12:55 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Post Re: Planetary orbit simulator. Well, there goes productivity.
This is superb. I've seen a roughly similar one before, I think called gravity simulator. I would like to work out how to illustrate the orbits of the gas giants.

There is a good one here with four stars in stable orbit. Moving the parameter for one just the slightest amount sends them haywire.

Sun May 30, 2010 5:17 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

i spent like two hours on this the other day.

Creating a new set of stable orbits that lasts for more than ten minutes is an interesting challenge.

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:23 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

I'm trying to simulate three planets around a star - See here. Will keep tinkering.

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
johnson1010
Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:28 am
Profile Email WWW

Gold Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

The sun is 99.8% of the mass of the solar system. If you make the three planets much more than 0.2% of the mass in total they become unstable.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:56 am
Profile Email WWW
Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

seems like maybe we are the only two here nerdy enough to enjoy this, RT.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:37 am
Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

All other orbit animations wish they were this one.

Seriously.

http://www.wimp.com/earthyear/

The following user would like to thank johnson1010 for this post:
Robert Tulip, youkrst
Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:40 pm
Vacuums Around Book Piles

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

johnson1010 wrote:
seems like maybe we are the only two here nerdy enough to enjoy this, RT.

I should have mentioned that I found this to be very cool as well.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:49 pm
Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

I'm glad we are in good company!

Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:51 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Better Thread Count than Your Best Linens

Gold Contributor

Highscores: 9

There went my afternoon. I had a difficult time getting the third planet in there, I wish I had come back and read the rest of the forum before I spent all that time tinkering with it.... VERY cool, an awesome time killer to be sure ;)

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:10 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Cunning Linguist

That is an awesome animation, johnson. Thanks for sharing. And add my name to the list of people spending way too much time with that simulator in the first post. :P

Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:30 pm
Profile Email
Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

Pretty cool orbit animation that produces a tone every time a planet completes an orbit.

Makes interesting "solar song".

http://www.whitevinyldesign.com/solarbeat/

Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:44 am
Professor

BookTalk.org Moderator

Epic Universal atlas presentation.

http://www.wimp.com/atlasuniverse/

Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:10 pm
Vacuums Around Book Piles

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

johnson1010 wrote:
Pretty cool orbit animation that produces a tone every time a planet completes an orbit.

That is way cool. It really shows how slow Pluto's orbit is compared with the inner planets.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:24 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Better Thread Count than Your Best Linens

Gold Contributor

Highscores: 9

johnson1010 wrote:

Nice, that was pretty, kind of like a music box, with a rng.

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:31 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next