• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 836 on Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:57 pm

SuPer Duper Late!

#82: April - May 2010 (Fiction)
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: SuPer Duper Late!

Unread post

Grim wrote:This book is a lot easier to read than I thought, I was expecting tangled prose, this is reading like a novel. I'll be done in a week (work load depending of course).
No, it's the very opposite of tangled prose, and of course it is a novel, or at least close to a novel.
Seraphim
Gaining experience

Unread post

Yay for other late readers! I was in a small bookstore the other day and found the book for cheap, so I snagged it and will begin it soon once I get a bit further in the other books I'm currently reading. Hopefully I'll be joining y'all soon in the discussion. :)
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic. ~ Frank Herbert, Dune
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Grim wrote: expecting tangled prose, this is reading like a novel.
Don Quixote, the knight of the sorrowful face, who becomes the knight of the lions, is an intriguing psychological portrait.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

Has anyone seen the movie?
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

I haven't seen any Don Quixote movies. The other day in a record shop I saw a kid's DVD of Don Quixote for $3.95, but I didn't buy it.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

Probably for the best, Orson Wells has a rendition that I am acquiring, there have been a few newer films released as well.
Seraphim
Gaining experience

Unread post

I've seen most of Man of La Mancha, the 1972 movie with Peter O'Toole and Sophia Loren. It ties in a bit about Cervantes in addition to the actual Don Quixote story. It's pretty good, but it's the music that really makes the movie.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic. ~ Frank Herbert, Dune
meliamom
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Grim wrote:Has anyone seen the movie?
I tried looking for a movie version on Netflix. There is a children's cartoon version and an old black and white version directed by Orson Welles. The reviews for the latter were pretty scathing, so I haven't watched either yet. There is also a ballet inspired by the play on Netflix as well. I guess it would be pretty hard to make a movie version without cutting out huge chunks of plot.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

Interesting I had not come across the ballet. There is an opera titled Don Quichotte, and also a Broadway musical with book adaptation titled Man of La Mancha.

This is really great:

Bravo, Bravo!!

Seraphim
Gaining experience

Unread post

I love the Broadway musical. They turned it into a movie in 1972, which I mentioned in my previous post. The music is so beautiful in it, and if you haven't heard it yet, listen to the song The Impossible Dream as well:

Return to “Don Quixote - Translated by Edith Grossman”