Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 03, 2016 3:08 pm

<< Week of May 03, 2016 >>
Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday
3 Day Month

4 Day Month

5 Day Month

6 Day Month

7 Day Month

8 Day Month

9 Day Month

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
All About Neil: Biographical Information for Neil Gaiman, with Personal Commentary 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Finds books under furniture

Silver Contributor

Post All About Neil: Biographical Information for Neil Gaiman, with Personal Commentary
Neil Gaiman is known for writing science fiction and fantasy works, ranging from comic books and novels to children's books and screenplays. He grew up in England, but currently resides in the United States. He has won the Hugo, Nebula, and Bram Stoker awards, as well as the 2009 Newbery Medal.

"The extreme enthusiasm of his fans has led some to call him a "rock star" of the literary world." (Wikipedia)

I heartily agree, as he knows how to reach both youth culture and older science fiction fans, as well as brings the British wit of the likes of Monty Python and Douglas Adams to everything he touches, keeping that spirit alive in the current scene as well as in generations to come. He knows how to write the outcast and make him/her lovable, silly, and well accepting of their human flaws, and the paths they are forced to follow in their strange and magical lives. To Gaiman, gods are his playthings, and humans are human without exception, and act how you'd expect them to act, except when they don't. If I were to be any writer in the world, from any time period, in any style, I would be Neil Gaiman. His work has changed not only how I view reading, the novel, and the world of sci-fi/fantasy, but has also had a profound effect on my writing, which was waiting for something to bring it forward and fit me more comfortably, and his style and magic was just the push I needed to find my own voice. While all of his works are classified as science fiction or fantasy (or even children's), he is not to be written off as simply a genre writer, but should be looked at with equal attention and deliberation as the likes of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, John Updike, and even Franz Kafka, for one can see all of their works influencing his hand at every word. We are in for a real treat when we begin reading and discussing Good Omens.

Biographical Links:

Neil Gaiman on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Gaiman

The Official Neil Gaiman Website:
http://www.neilgaiman.com/

For those of you who Twitter, Neil Gaiman on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/neilhimself

Neil Gaiman's works on film:

Stardust, the movie:
netflix.com/Movie/Stardust/70054920?str ... kid=222336

Coraline, the movie:
netflix.com/Movie/Coraline/70105599?str ... kid=222336

Neverwhere, the BBC mini-series:
netflix.com/Movie/Neverwhere/60030967?s ... kid=222336

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:32 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.