• In total there are 22 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 22 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Italian literature

A platform to express and share your enthusiasm and passion for poetry. What are your treasured poems and poets? Don't hesitate to showcase the poems you've penned yourself!
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
justanumber
Almost Comfortable

Italian literature

Unread post

I've already asked it to another forum, but no one seems interested in it.

Well... Have you ever read an italian poem?
Maybe not on the original lang.. but read, anyway.....
I find italian literature extremely interesting, but of course we have miscellaneous traditions in it.
I often read greek poems, and I've always noticed how they've influenced our culture.
But I could never put apart the latin ones.
Well... have you ever tried to have a glance at them?
Last edited by justanumber on Sat May 29, 2010 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emperorbjt
The Great Gabsby

Re: Italian literature

Unread post

Would you count Dante's The Divine Comedy?

I took four years of Italian in High School but sadly I have lost most of it. Therefore I have only read the English translation. Still, it seems to me to be an amazing work.

It is so influential on our modern culture and thinking.
justanumber
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

That's a great work(:
Of course, there are so many poems to read, and I can't keep all them in my mind at the moment, but if you want to know something about them, you can.
I really like Seneca as italian philosopher♥ and most of ancient greek philosophers too
Emperorbjt
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

justanumber wrote:That's a great work(:
Of course, there are so many poems to read, and I can't keep all them in my mind at the moment, but if you want to know something about them, you can.
I really like Seneca as italian philosopher♥ and most of ancient greek philosophers too
I have not gotten to Seneca yet. So much to read in so little time!

I assume that you have read Dante and other italian poets in Italian? I would imagine that we lose a lot in translation.

I once knew someone who had a good comprehension of Latin who read Virgil's Anead in its original form. He thought that the English translations that he read did not, and could not do it justice.
GaryG48
Sophomore

Unread post

Emperorbjt wrote: I once knew someone who had a good comprehension of Latin who read Virgil's Anead in its original form. He thought that the English translations that he read did not, and could not do it justice.
I have had the same experiences with Koine Greek and German. The 19th century translations from either language into English are so bad they are almost opaque.
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost
justanumber
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

yeah, I think each translations is a waste of the real meanings... what the author wanted to say, what he wanted to make us feel.
Some very deep thoughts can't be interpretated so good in most translations, but it's just an idea about it, in my opinion.
The better thing would be to read them in the original language, I mean... we should learn latin and greek! too hard, but really interesting...

and, yes, I read them in italian

Return to “A Passion for Poetry”