• In total there are 25 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 25 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

VI- Heart of Darkness: the title.

#44: Feb. - Mar. 2008 (Fiction)
jotang2
Official Newbie!

Re: VI- Heart of Darkness: the title.

Unread post

Heart of Darkness refers to evil human nature, an immoral personality that resides in us all. During the era of colonization, Europeans saw themselves as the most civilized, an act for society's superficial approval. But in the Congo without people watching them, the Europeans expose their hearts of evil and corruption. Marlow's lens reveal a vision of evil within people.

p.s. The theme of Heart of Darkness also alludes to Lord of the Flies' theme that evil human nature is found in everyone.
nomtiff
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

For me the title means, literally speaking, the part of Africa where the Congo was located and how it was called the Heart of darkness. I also think that because its where Marlow is traveling to and its dark and full of the unknown. They had said that there were no survivors that came back after traveling there. Inside the heart of darkness is where Kurtz is hiding, I believe because I haven't read that far yet, and Kurtz is believed to have gone insane, thinking hes god. On their journey they pass by slaves and Africans, maybe the heart of darkness refers to the Whites who were taking advantage of the Africans and not referring to the Africans as the darkness, as Chinua Achebe believed it was biased towards Africans. So I think that the Heart of Darkness can refer to how the Africans are going insane because of how the Whites were acting. Also I believe that the heart of darkness can be however we interpret it to be. Only the author will know the true meaning behind it, all that's left for us is to guess what it could mean, like a piece of art. I had more to say but I had forgotten what because I spaced out and finally returned to this page to finish. ^^;
~Tiffany 1st period
iflorax3
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Flora 1st peiord. ^ ^
I think the book is call Heart of Darkness because the darkness is like Africa and the heart is like Marlow. Each time Marlow goes deeper he see more bad things. He saw the black prisoners, his ship need to be repair, a crying sound, cannibals being hungry, and other stuff. I think maybe when they meet Klutz something bad would happen. I think thats the reason why it is call Heart of Darkness. The plot goes deeper and deeper which is getting more darker. I not really sure if i am right because the book is kind of confusing, but i starting to get it.
ImaPandaOO7
Official Newbie!

Unread post

For me,darkness doesn't always mean something bad; It could simply be unknown. Africa could be the base place many people don't really know about so it is seen as dark and different from other civilizations. So Marlow,with his hunger for adventure, feels the need to go explore what truths lie in Africa.

-Megan 1st period-
jelee
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I think the title is "heart of darkness," because Africa is, in a way the center of Earth or on a map of the earth. Also, Africa is a very dark place, many violent and inhumane things have occurred within this continent. So this could be the darkness, the Congo, is smack in the middle, so it could be the heart. That's literally. In a more literary definition, I think it's Heart of Darkness, not only because it's such a dark and mysterious place, but also that the heart of the people within Africa ( the colonizers ) are very dark with cruel and terrifying intentions.. _ Jeffery 1st Period
nikkodnp
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I think that the book is called Heart of Darkness, because the deeper we get into the story, the deeper we are in the congo. It tells not only the surface of what happened in Africa, but what lies beneath that gives it the name. The setting in which the story takes place is where all the evil and inhuman things happen could also be a reason for the title.

Dominic Pardilla
1st Period
honeychai
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I think it's called "Heart of Darkness" because when we first discussed about this book and haven't started reading yet, we discussed about how it's the center. The heart is the center or the most important thing compared to other things surrounding. The darkness may also not be as dark, it can be light but it may be until someone explores the area, like Marlow. I also think it's related to those who control others like in the story how Marlow sees Africans suffering.

-honey 1 period
Last edited by honeychai on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
keceralde
Official Newbie!

Unread post

What i think "heart of darkness" the tittle show a lot of foreshadowing and deep emotions. Scary emotions were people get sad and feared because a lot of darkness. Maybe the river has a heart that is dark and seems like that the river is a snake. The heart shows a love, care, sacrifice, etc. Maybe Marlow helps a lot of people showing his heart. And maybe Marlow see's a lot of darkness because the river that keeps popping out of nowhere.

Kevin from your third period ......

This is the quote for hw we had to do. "What Does heart of darkness mean?"

Return to “Heart of Darkness - by Joseph Conrad”