• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

1. A Bolt from the Blue: Sudden Musicophilia

#81: April - May 2010 (Non-Fiction)
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Re: 1. A Bolt from the Blue: Sudden Musicophilia

Unread post

Kalato wrote:I always thought that “the tunnel of white light” was due to the optical nerve fading away as part of the dying process. I’d like to know more about the “archetypal symbolism” Sacks mentions, some universal examples. Maybe I find something in Joseph Campbell. I am not familiar with that at all.
Either Joseph Campbell or some of the works of Carl Jung, from whom I think Campbell may have developed some of his ideas, would be a good place to start on this topic. Campbell's archetypes are pretty interesting, and he explains them in one book by going in-depth into Star Wars and the movie version of the Wizard of Oz as examples of the Hero's Journey and the archetypes that go along with it. I wrote my high school senior thesis on the subject, especially because those are two of my favorite movies. ;)

The History Channel also had a special on the historical and archetypal workings in Star Wars, where they talk about Campbell's theories (George Lucas actually worked with Campbell to create some of the themes in Star Wars), Greek myths, Kirosawa movies, and other mediums George Lucas drew from when creating Star Wars. I know you can find it to buy online, but it may also be on YouTube somewhere and the History Channel airs it from time to time. I saw the first half of it, and if you like Star Wars, it is definitely worth watching.
Kalato
Getting Comfortable

Re: 1. A Bolt from the Blue: Sudden Musicophilia

Unread post

Yes, I agree, these are all excellent sources. I do remember the program where Joseph Campbell discusses Star Wars, the Samurai Sword being a precursor to the Light Sabre, for one. I am aware of the archetypes for heroes, but I draw a blank as to the archetypes for Near Death Experiences, which is what Sacks is referring to, I think. I will pursue this as time permits with some of your reference. As soon as this El Nino is over I can go to the bunkhouse again . . .

Return to “Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain - by Oliver Sacks”