• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Don Quixote - The New Translation

#82: April - May 2010 (Fiction)
tomwhite56
Creative Writing Student

Don Quixote - The New Translation

Unread post

By all accounts the new translation of Don Quixote by Edith Goodman is a work of wonder. I never was able to get through my reading of what I now understand to be the fountainhead of all classics, and the first true novel, perhaps because the translation was less than desirable, or perhaps I was just not ready for the book. As a newbie I hardly concsider myself qualified to lead the discussion, but I would be eager to join in.
A likely story.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Re: Don Quixote - The New Translation

Unread post

I am definitely interested in reading along. I am going to see if my library has this edition. Any just gotta toss this in --

The Tale of Genji - the 11th Century Japanese classic written by a Heian court lady known as Murasaki Shikibu. It is generally considered to be the world's first true novel, and was certainly the first psychological novel ever written.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Fantastic suggestion tomwhite56! I'll also try to get it, would love to read along with you guys.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Oh my various gods, there's an easier to read Don Quixote!?! I must have it!
Don Quixote is one of my favorite stories, and yet I can barely get through the first chapter because of the way it is written. It even has a musical based on it, which is fabulous, and makes me want to read it even more, and all the more frustrated that I hate the writing style.

I often wish I could understand every language so that I could read books as they were originally intended to be read. But now I can finally read Don Quixote! You've made me a very happy girl! 8)
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

tomwhite56 wrote:By all accounts the new translation of Don Quixote by Edith Goodman is a work of wonder. I never was able to get through my reading of what I now understand to be the fountainhead of all classics, and the first true novel, perhaps because the translation was less than desirable, or perhaps I was just not ready for the book. As a newbie I hardly concsider myself qualified to lead the discussion, but I would be eager to join in.
Do you mean Edith Grossman? That's what I'm finding on Amazon.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

My library has the book! It is already on it's way to me. I should have it in a few days.
justareader
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

"Don Quijote soy, y mi profesión la de caballero andante. Son mis leyes, el desfacer entuertos, prodigar el bien y evitar el mal. Fuyo de la vida regalada, de la ambición y la hipocresía, y busco para mi propia gloria la senda más angosta y difícil. ¿Es eso, de tonto y mentecato?".

Don Quijote y yo hablamos la misma lengua. Si vosotros quereís yo podría coordinar la discusión, mis apreciados y respetados amigos. :D

Justareader
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

justareader wrote:"Don Quijote soy, y mi profesión la de caballero andante. Son mis leyes, el desfacer entuertos, prodigar el bien y evitar el mal. Fuyo de la vida regalada, de la ambición y la hipocresía, y busco para mi propia gloria la senda más angosta y difícil. ¿Es eso, de tonto y mentecato?".

Don Quijote y yo hablamos la misma lengua. Si vosotros quereís yo podría coordinar la discusión, mis apreciados y respetados amigos. :D

Justareader
No fair! You didn't translate! My mind just exploded. Why did I take French instead of Spanish?! :shock:
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:Do you mean Edith Grossman?
This is what I'm finding too, with an intro by Harold Bloom. Is this the correct book? My library has it as well, I'll pick it up tomorrow. I'm still working on "War and Peace", these two books should make for an interesting combination. :shock:

If we have enough interested participants, we may want to add it as an additional fiction discussion selection.
tomwhite56 wrote:As a newbie I hardly consider myself qualified to lead the discussion,
You are not a newbie to reading are you? We do require all discussion leaders to face a panel of experts, and you are required to provide your credentials which will be carefully scrutinized before you can be selected as discussion leader. :P

Just kidding! Volunteers are always welcome, and greatly appreciated :)
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:
bleachededen wrote:Do you mean Edith Grossman?
This is what I'm finding too, with an intro by Harold Bloom.
Oh, Harold Bloom. He and I are not friends. I like some of his ideas about the "anxiety of influence," but his writing comes off as pompous and annoying (somewhat sexist at times, too). But I suppose he's not as bad as T.S. Eliot. That guy drives me nuts!

(somebody didn't like their literary criticism class :-P)

Return to “Don Quixote - Translated by Edith Grossman”