Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 06, 2016 6:07 am

<< Week of May 06, 2016 >>
Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday
6 Day Month

7 Day Month

8 Day Month

9 Day Month

10 Day Month

11 Day Month

12 Day Month

Forum rules

Authors and publishers are welcome to tell us about their books ONLY if they are honest and reveal their relationship to the book and/or author. If you are here to promote a book you MUST state that you are the author, publisher or some other relation to the author or publisher or campaign to promote the book. Nothing short of complete disclosure will be tolerated.

If you would like to advertise your book click on the ADVERTISE link in the top green navigation bar and purchase and ad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
THE AFFLICTED GIRLS A Novel of Salem by Suzy Witten 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Not latency, or power shortage, nor bedtime shall keep me from my appointed screed

Post THE AFFLICTED GIRLS A Novel of Salem by Suzy Witten
THE AFFLICTED GIRLS A Novel of Salem by Suzy Witten
ISBN: 978-0-615-32313-8

Something terrible happened in Salem in 1692 . . . but it isn't what you think!

THE AFFLICTED GIRLS A Novel of Salem by author-researcher Suzy Witten presents a startling new theory of the Salem Village witch-hunts, which is certain to put this 300-year-old unsettled mystery to rest . . . by expertly guiding readers through The Historical Record to revelation. Part parable, part star-crossed romance, and part supernatural venture, this is an intuitive human history—and inhuman—spun with a modern twist. A controversial debut by a new Historical storyteller . . . a Walt Disney Studios Fellowship Finalist. Historical Fiction, 456 pages, A Paperback Original from Dreamwand (also available as an eBook) http://www.theafflictedgirls.com

The mystery of Salem is solved!

(The book is now available worldwide from: Amazon, barnesandnoble.com for paperback, powellsbooks or lulu for eBook, or http://www.theafflictedgirls.com for my author-signed paperback copies)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm hoping to discuss my book and research with other historical fiction fans here in the future.

Last edited by Suzy Witten on Thu May 06, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:19 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

Post Re: THE AFFLICTED GIRLS A Novel of Salem by Suzy Witten
This sounds like an excellent book.

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
Suzy Witten
Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:32 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Not latency, or power shortage, nor bedtime shall keep me from my appointed screed

I'm going to donate a book, Chris. If you have time to read it, please let me know what you think. Thanks again. Suzy

Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:39 am
Profile Email
Likes the book better than the movie

Gold Contributor

Sounds very interesting......I'll order a copy through Amazon.de (I hope). Suzy, what got you interested in the topic? I noticed you're into meditation. Is there any type of a connection here or did you venture off to "the place" and that is what enticed you?

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes

The following user would like to thank oblivion for this post:
Suzy Witten
Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:38 am

Hi Oblivion,
THE AFFLICTED GIRLS is now available on Amazon UK so it should be on Amazon DE also. To answer your question: I think my years of meditation made me intuitive with this material, and my skills in screenwriting and filmmaking gave me the ability to visualize how Salem could have happened. I may have looked at the same puzzling evidence as everyone, but only I have discovered that final "missing piece," "the smoking gun" if you will, which makes sense of it all.
Thanks for asking, Suzy

Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:20 pm
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

:( Not yet available here on Amazon.de but I have pre-ordered. Having problems getting Bart's book as well. Maybe it takes longer.

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:54 pm

Announcement from the Author: THE AFFLICTED GIRLS will soon be available free of charge to vision-impaired readers via Bookshare

Last edited by Suzy Witten on Thu May 06, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:13 pm
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Hi Suzy,
I just finished your book and wanted to let you know I enjoyed it very much. And, your "solution" :wink: makes perfect sense to me!!

The following user would like to thank oblivion for this post:
Suzy Witten
Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:21 am

Thanks so much, Oblivion. This solution made a lot of sense to me, too, and I'm surprised the Salem historians never considered it. But maybe now with my book they will. If you have any questions about my research I'll be happy to answer them. Suzy

Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:59 pm
Profile Email

New 5 STAR Amazon Review for THE AFFLICTED GIRLS

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Enjoyable!, January 20, 2010
By Witch Mark (USA) - See all my reviews

Having spent so much time researching the Salem Witch Trials in the past few years,it was thoroughly enjoyable to snuggle up and spend part of this snowy January in Maine reading "The Afflicted Girls," a novel by Suzy Witten. This book is written in such a way that the reader feels as if she has been drawn into the story and is experiencing the events as they happen. The fictional format gives both the author and the reader the ability to figure things out, understand the thought patterns of the characters, and tuck in all the loose ends in ways that have eluded academic historians for the past 300 years. I have often wished for the "invisible hand" that the fictional writer can use to sort and make the past understandable. This book is not history but it is storytelling at it's very best! I recommend it.

(Note: "Witch Mark" is a well-known Salem Historian)

Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:03 pm
Profile Email

More news on THE AFFLICTED GIRLS:

THE AFFLICTED GIRLS makes Amazon list of recommended books about Salem
Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Recommended-Books ... KX8CM7V4KV

It is one of 2 novels on this list. All the rest are academic non-fiction histories.
The list was compiled by noted Salem historian M. M. Drymon (she posts on Amazon as "Witch Mark")

Suzy

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:46 pm
Profile Email

KINDLE version of THE AFFLICTED GIRLS is now available:

http://www.amazon.com/THE-AFFLICTED-GIR ... 454&sr=8-3

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:14 pm
Profile Email

Attachment:
TAG Cover.jpg
TAG Cover.jpg [ 61.28 KiB | Viewed 2605 times ]
News:
THE AFFLICTED GIRLS A Novel of Salem by Suzy Witten is a FINALIST for an IPPY (2010 INDEPENDENT PUBLISHER BOOK AWARDS) for Historical/Military Fiction. Independent Publisher Book Awards, honoring the year's best independently published titles. The awards ceremony kicks off BOOK EXPO 2010 on May 25, 2010 in New York.
Suzy

Thu May 06, 2010 9:58 am
Profile Email

THE AFFLICTED GIRLS has won the 2010 IPPY SILVER MEDAL for Historical Fiction (Independent Publisher Book Awards honoring the year's best books by Independent Publishers, Small Presses, University Presses, and Self-Publishers for distribution to the North American market)
Anyone interested can see the full list of winners at:
http://www.independentpublisher.com/art ... ?page=1362
I'm pretty happy to say the least! So today I'll add a smile: :D
Suzy

Sat May 15, 2010 4:52 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor

Congratulations Suzy!!!!

I had the honor of reading, "The Afflicted Girls", and must say, it is extremely well researched, you captured the period very well. Your research brought you to a conclusion that was excellent, and very thought provoking.

Great job!

The following user would like to thank Suzanne for this post:
Suzy Witten
Sat May 15, 2010 9:06 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next