• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Progress

#77: Dec. - Jan. 2010 (Non-Fiction)
Joe Kelley
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

New post

More free thinking (babbling) on my progress through the new book.

A challenge is being offered, or uncovered, illuminated, communicated, expressed, and brought into the light – center stage – it seems to me as I read up to page 3 hundred and something.

The challenge is being focused upon, with microscopic precision, perhaps.

Why, I ask myself, am I resisting, this is very strange.

I often find my radical viewpoints difficult to transfer. My viewpoints appear, typically, as I try to transfer them, to be akin to green baby food, as the spoon slowly moves closer to the babies mouth, and then the baby moves his and her head left and right, resisting.

Now I am the baby.

What gives?
Joe Kelley

Unread post

As the new perspective expands my point of view I see more pieces of the puzzle that is “viewpoint” falling into place.

Example:

Connectivity is something, without which there would be only individuals and all individuals would not be connected by anything. Seeing this one thing as one thing allows me now to have an object in view. I can see this object, this medium by which each individual is connected to each other individual, through lenses, and for this example I’ll use the lense, or the filter, called sympathy, or empathy.

I can pretend to be connectivity. I can see a world view from a perspective where I am looking through the eyes and all the senses commanded by this connectivity thing, presuming that this thing can see.

What, from this viewpoint, do people look like? What do people look like from a perspective of connectivity?

Each person is connected to connectivity, each person connected to each other person, so this thing will see everyone all at once.

Does that sound like an odd way of seeing?
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Joe Kelley wrote:As the new perspective expands my point of view I see more pieces of the puzzle that is “viewpoint” falling into place.

Example:

Connectivity is something, without which there would be only individuals and all individuals would not be connected by anything. Seeing this one thing as one thing allows me now to have an object in view. I can see this object, this medium by which each individual is connected to each other individual, through lenses, and for this example I’ll use the lense, or the filter, called sympathy, or empathy.

I can pretend to be connectivity. I can see a world view from a perspective where I am looking through the eyes and all the senses commanded by this connectivity thing, presuming that this thing can see.

What, from this viewpoint, do people look like? What do people look like from a perspective of connectivity?

Each person is connected to connectivity, each person connected to each other person, so this thing will see everyone all at once.

Does that sound like an odd way of seeing?
Hi Joe, you make me look forward to reading The Genius of the Beast. Your theme of 'connectivity' connects to rationality, reason and logic as ways to envisage the universe in a connected way. Science offers methods to understand empirical cause and effect as the main factors in connectivity, but binding facts together into a coherent picture is a task for philosophy and even theology.
Lawrence

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Senior

for Joe Kelly

Unread post

This question I ask is this: What is one absolute fact?
Welcome to BT Joe. You are in good company by asking such a question. Bertrand Russell began his book The Problems of Philosophy with this paragraph:
Is there any knowledge in the world which is so certain that no reasonable man could doubt it? This question, which at first sight might not seem difficult, is really one of the most difficult that can be asked. When we have realized the obstacles in the way of a straightforward and confident answer, we shall be well launched on the study of philosophy-for philosophy is merely the attempt to answer such ultimate questions, not carelessly and dogmatically, as we do in ordinary life and even in the sciences, but critically, after exploring all that makes such questions puzzling, and after realizing all the vagueness and confusion that underlie our ordinary ideas.
I hope you enjoy the dialogue with these good people of BT.
Joe Kelley

Unread post

Robert Tulip,

Being more specific on that sympathetic viewpoint from the connective medium, I found a curious way of seeing.

The connective thing touches everyone when everyone wants to touch someone else, everyone must access this thing, find it, dial it, speak through it, write on it, and use it to pass the messages through to the other person or the other people.

This may be another way of seeing something difficult to see, like trying to see universal grammar for what it is, to see it, to know it.

From the viewpoint of this connective thing each person is acting the same way as each other person in that process of accessing this thing so as to access someone else.

It is all the switch boards ever made, because all those things are just tools built to access the thing that is connectivity.

With me, the book is like playing 3 way chess and having my teammate hand me a queen. It is an example of a tool that accesses the connective thing. What is it used for, exactly?
Joe Kelley

Unread post

I hope you enjoy the dialogue with these good people of BT.
Lawrence,

I am asking that question so as to find an answer. I have one answer so far, and no reasonable person can prove it wrong, never mind doubt it, since that effort proves it too.

Thanks for the welcome. I took another bite out of the book and I am now at page 417. My reading continues to challenge my thinking, leaving me with questions seeking accurate answers. I don't want to publish an spoilers, but the book is a direct challenge, it says as much in so many words.
Joe Kelley

Unread post

Anyone,

The connection in between people, that medium of exchange, is common, a common denominator, and it is universal.

I may be on a wrong path here, with this change of direction, this inspired new viewpoint, but it seems to me that the connection is employed by each of us in unique ways while the connection employs us the same way each time, and that is what I mean when I see it as being universal.

It connects us; why?
Lawrence

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Senior

for joe Kelly

Unread post

Lawrence, I am asking that question so as to find an answer.
My study has caused me to conclude, the answer is there is no answer, only belief. The individual, unique, and personal belief of each person who asks the question.

I am unable to comment on your "connection." I guess I'll have to get the book.
Joe Kelley

Unread post

Lawrence,

Thanks for trying.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Joe Kelley wrote: Previous to those books I did not have a working understanding of the word “meme”, for an example of what I am trying to say about reading in general.

The word “meme” passed my notice like more of the same useless fashionable noise, stuff for people seeking momentary entertainment – perhaps. I may be just babbling. The word “meme” is now a part of my thinking, a building block, a stepping stone, a higher step; I can see more, Seymour Butts.

A meme is a bridge builder, perhaps, a from of connective stuff, like the stuff that prevents all our cells from wandering apart, or like the stuff that keeps a metal paper clip floating on water.

Is a meme illustrated by an example of a meme, like a popular song is an example of a popular song? Is that like universal grammar being the common elements of all grammar, the stuff that causes the examples?
Uh-oh, as a conscientious objector to memes, will Bloom's book convert me? I guess I should be prepared to be changed by the book if I can manage to make room for it. I will say that your posts have been the most effective generator of interest toward a book that I have seen on Booktalk.

Return to “The Genius of the Beast: A Radical Re-Vision of Capitalism - by Howard Bloom”