• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Ch. 10: The Tawdriness of the Miraculous and the Decline...

#64: Mar. - May 2009 (Non-Fiction)
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Suz wrote:We see what we want to see and hear what we want to hear.
Nielson, The Point
Now, Suzanne, don't be cynical. Most of us, most of the time, try to be objective but are often misled by insufficient evidence, although the Internet is making evidence easier to gather.

When context is unknown, readers do often resort to fanciful etymological explanation. Here is the kind of thing I frequently deal with:

http://www.i-tjingcentrum.nl/serendipit ... am-23.html
Cutting through hexagram 23

Harmen is a generous and meticulous researcher, but misled because of his dependence on etymology. Caro (at the bottom) is correct. Hexagram 23 (Wen's interpretation) refers to the preparation of soil for growing crops.

Tom
Last edited by Thomas Hood on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:I am thinking about the JW's who do not believe in the divinity of Jesus. So when Thomas said unto him 'My Lord and My God'......they have changed to capital letter so that it reads 'god'......a minor adjustment one would think.

Also, they place a comma in a different place, so that it reads:

Truly I tell you today, you will be with me in paradise.

instead of:

Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.
So many interesting things to talk to the Jehovah's Witnesses about, I'm almost looking forward to their next visit :)

Tom
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Me, cynical?

Unread post

Tom:

Oh all right.

Thomas Hood wrote:
When context is unknown, readers do often resort to fanciful etymological explanation. Here is the kind of thing I frequently deal with:
Can you please elaborate on how you frequently come across these things? Also, maybe you are the person I'm looking for. Are you familiar with the RongoRongo tablets of Napa Rui? I recently wrote an extensive research paper on the island, but came to a dead end on the tablets. I know they were made for singing, or chanting do you have any information or ideas about the meaning of the symbols?

The web is great I agree, but you do have to watch out for credability. While doing research on Easter Island, (I prefer Rapa Nui), I knew it was time to quit when I started reading about vampires and aliens.

Thanks,
Suzanne
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

"Oh, shut up" could be an acceptable reply to this request, but if people want to continue posting in the current vein (that is, not about Hitchens), it might help if they started a new thread under the religion forum, so that someone, such as CH himself, would not be misled into thinking that his chapter 10 was being discussed. Thanks for considering.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

DILL wrote:
"Oh, shut up" could be an acceptable reply to this request,
Hey, he started it! Point taken, my appologies.

Suzanne
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

DWill:

I'm sorry too!!! :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
harmen

Unread post

Thomas Hood wrote:When context is unknown, readers do often resort to fanciful etymological explanation. Here is the kind of thing I frequently deal with:

http://www.i-tjingcentrum.nl/serendipit ... am-23.html
Cutting through hexagram 23

Harmen is a generous and meticulous researcher, but misled because of his dependence on etymology.
Actually I do not apply etymology but mainly make use of homonyms as given by the characters from the variant texts. Although I explore the etymology of Chinese characters I hardly ever use it as material for my writings. I mainly use the meanings of the characters throughout the centuries, as indicated by experts in the field.
Caro (at the bottom) is correct. Hexagram 23 (Wen's interpretation) refers to the preparation of soil for growing crops.
Hmmm....I would like to see that backed up by facts and/or proper research, Caro did not give these. Maybe you can give me these by e-mail or pm? Thanks.

Harmen.
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

harmen wrote:Hmmm....I would like to see that backed up by facts and/or proper research, Caro did not give these. Maybe you can give me these by e-mail or pm? Thanks.
A pleasure to hear from you, Harmen. Since the moderator does not want this discussion continued here, I will contact you directly.

Tom
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Grim I was interested in your comments below in terms of the links between Hitchens’ views and revolutionary communist theory. Hitchens has of course renounced his youthful views, but through his great respect for Orwell, he retains links to the old left. If Chris is taking questions for Hitchens one area might be how his thought developed from left to right, and whether he sees his current outlook as aligned more with the left or the right.

There is a good article about George Orwell and his communist ideas in the New Yorker - http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2003/0 ... at_atlarge
Grim wrote:
Robert Tulip wrote:The attractiveness of Leon Trotsky to impressionable youth was rather like the cult of Che Guevara, high on romance and low on facts. Orwell went the same path, fighting with the Trotskyite POUM in Catalonia and going on to write Animal Farm, which could almost be read as a Trotskyite work except that Orwell is too humane and sane to support Trotsky’s mad totalitarianism.
Yes, difficulty does arise when one is shifting from the theory of political philosophy towards its relationship to the functional practice of the political movement as unwittingly a disjunction inevitably occurs. Perhaps no small reason why Che is afforded a cult while Trotsky and Orwell are given the trust of dissimulators? Che was never a novelist where as Orwell and Trotsky were never more than intellectual revolutionaries.
I don’t have a high regard for either Che or Trotsky. Both were romantic revolutionaries lacking in clear vision of the consequences of their acts. Trotsky was more than an intellectual revolutionary. He was head of the red army in the civil war against the whites, responsible for setting the scene for the later tyranny.
This is important as in the cases of Trotsky and Orwell, with regards to the personal dynamism Che, the theory was able to substitute its own frames of references and suggestions without the need for all that detailed of an awareness as to specific sociological and political function within which it would necessarily operate as a emergent process. Functional process was Che's legitimacy.
Are you claiming that Che Guevara had a more functional theory than Trotsky?
In this sense, that the political theory of Trotsky and Orwell is a actually a simplified subset of rather particular assumptions opposed to a balanced theory tested in action, the projection of particular features onto disparate types of hypothetical situations based on preceding thought fostered a rather distrusting mutual development. Based on the almost implicit duplexity in creating a moral double standard rather than a more accommodating systems or meta-systems perspective concerning intraspecific competition within a community adopted by the pragmatic Che. Che and Orwell were different from Trotsky in many respects not the least in amount of respect they willingly afforded to alternative fields of thought and reasoning. The distrust of general intellectual reasoning (especially formal philosophy and philosophers) was a trait of Trotsky who saw action only in disregarding moral qualms. This results in a continual requirement for the taxation of a readers sensitivities towards a specific recognition that his works require careful reconsideration in light of its many presuppositions. Ignorance to what Trotsky represents may create an artificially stimulating read, but only through ignorance of the factors I have briefly outlined. To simply make the assumption that defining either Trotsky or Che as distastefully "low on facts" as constructive commentary constitutes an evasion regarding the reasonable nature and significance of association formed effectual responses to particular works, sentences, and words continually and more importantly dynamically as constructed and as identifiable in modern western society.
Trotsky and Che represented large social movements, but I don't think either of them had a good grasp of political and economic theory, hence the poor consequences of their policies.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Christopher Hitchens will probably check these threads so DWill has a legitimate concern about drifting too far off topic.

Return to “God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything - by Christopher Hitchens”