• In total there are 50 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Ashleigh
All Star Member

Unread post

Both Dracula and Frankenstein are good and unusual in their own ways - I hope you enjoy them, I did,
Books are my life
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

At the moment I am reading Pillars of the Earth with Lori. Just finished Part 1 this morning. Some days I like it, some days not so much.

I have Old Man and the Sea coming up as a side read hopefully this week.

And as soon as I get The Things They Carried which I have ordered from the library I will jump in on that discussion.

Life is good.

Barb
lorifog

Unread post

Hey westbury

My brother is reading a whole bunch of Norman Vincent Peale right now and really enjoying them. I don't read much in the way of self-improvement (although, I could definitely use some! lol) but I remember Passages being really great. I'm getting the NVP books after my brother is done so will probably pick them up soon.

Lori
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Unread post

I just finished Enslaved by Ducks by Bob Tarte. It was funny. I now have 1776 and Little Women by my bed to read at night, so depending on my mood I read one of those.
I seem to always find myself in the middle of two or three books, and that doesn't include the gardening ones LOL :laugh:
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Unread post

Penelope wrote:I am reading a book called 'Useful Toil'. It is composed of short diaries of working people from 1840's to 1922. The diaries of Coal Miners, Cotton Weavers and Spinners, Shop Assistants and Servants, Footmen, Ladies maids etc....

It is absolutely absorbing. That is my upstairs by my bed book.

My downstairs book is Geisha of Gion - The True Story of Japan's foremost Geisha - by Mineko Iwasaki.
I had to smile when I read this, for I too have a book by the bed and then another by the couch where I often sit. Useful Toil sounds fascinating. I am going to have to read it.
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Right now I'm reading:

Naked Economics by Charles Wheelen - that copy is at work and I read it on breaks. I've FINALLY got around to it.

A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway - that copy is by my bed

and I'm also reading An Illustrated Guide to the American Economy as a supplement to the Wheelen book. That's also next to my bed.

I have 1776 but I haven't had time to read it. The reviews on the book were once good and now they seem to have turned really sour. Several reviewers on Amazon.com say the book jumps around a lot and isn't very well written. They also say it romanticizes Washington's role. I dunno - my copy has all the cool letters and stuff in it and I'm sure I'll get around to reading it one day.
Ashleigh
All Star Member

Unread post

About to re-read the first Famous Five book.
Books are my life
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:Great expectations is probably the awesomest book ever for me. :)

Right now I'm reading Dracula for fun, and for the first time!

Can you imagine? I don't think I've ever read Frankenstein or Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde either. I think I'll read them next! :)
I never did finish Great Expectations, but I did love it. I have never read any of the books listed above but I would love to.
opcode
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

"The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court"

I am also wrapping up a biography about Sinatra. Oh, and it just started snowing here and I have Bailey's for my coffee so I'll probably finish both tonight. :bananadance:
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

A Farewell to Arms has been completed so I'm now on The Ugly American by Lederer and Burdick.

Return to “Everything Else”