• In total there are 35 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 34 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Reading for pleasure! What are you reading now?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
edoaks

Unread post

I'm a non-fictioner... I enjoy personal finance & self improvement books. Currently working on "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.

Next on my reading list is Missed Fortune 101 by Douglas Andrew:
http://www.netpassiveincome.com/missed-fortune-101
Ashleigh
All Star Member

Unread post

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.
Books are my life
MarkH
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Flight to Eden by Douglas Hirt. Quite interesting so far.
westburytf
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hi edoaks, I enjoy reading self-improvement books as well. Have you read any of Dr.Norman Vincent Peale's books?
Rose Kolarich
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Three Lives by Gertrude Stein- this is my second attempt to read it and I'm finding it amazing!!! It's written in three sections, each is a portrait of the ordinary life of three different women: two German immigrants- the good Anna and kind Lena, and an African American- Melanctha. It isn't the narrative though that's the attraction of Gertrude Stein's books- it's the addictive writing style. Her symmetrical sentences, ear for dialect and rhythmic repetition of words and phrases manufacture a calming writing voice which de-fogs my brain when I read it aloud.

And also: I'd like to read the Bhagavad-Gita, can anybody recommend a good translation? Oh, and a commentary too, please.
lorifog

Unread post

Right now I'm reading Pillars of the Earth. I just finished Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer and enjoyed that one and have a James Patterson sitting on my nightstand just waiting for me. I LOVE his books and am reading through all of them. I just really discovered him a few years ago but, to me, he's great light reading for night-time and lots of fun!

Lori
Pennery
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Just finished Emperor of Ocean Park, which is one of the best books one of my parents reccommended for me ever. Now I'm working on Atlas Shrugged. Awesomest book ever.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Great expectations is probably the awesomest book ever for me. :)

Right now I'm reading Dracula for fun, and for the first time!

Can you imagine? I don't think I've ever read Frankenstein or Dr.Jekyll and Mr.Hyde either. I think I'll read them next! :)
lorifog

Unread post

Let me know what you think about Dracula, Camacho. A friend from another bookclub read that recently and just loved it.

Lori
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

No prob Lori. It's pretty good so far. Some things are painfully obvious such as the constant use of unhappy human countenance expressions to describe inanimate objects such as mountains and castles - but other than that it is moving along very rapidly and getting good! I'm on chapter 3 btw :)

Return to “Everything Else”