• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

No Country- VIII-2. Fate vs free will.

#47: April - May 2008 (Fiction)
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

No Country- VIII-2. Fate vs free will.

Unread post

VIII- 2- Fate:
Do things simply happen to Llewellyn (fate), or does he play a part in what happens to him?

Does McCarthy have a message or a view of life which concerns fate?
Last edited by Ophelia on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ophelia.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Kenneth wrote:
I think this book needs to be viewed at the Cosmic level. Let's view it from the stratosphere where we can see all these little insect characters with their mountainous egos behaving as if they can make a difference in the world.

Ophelia:Can you explain what you mean Kenneth?

Well, I think the author is willing to suspend plausibility in the day to day nuts and bolts part of the story in order to emphasize big themes. In the quote that you have highlighted I am alluding to the theme of Fate vs. Free Will which is everywhere in the book. Individuals tend to inflate the importance of decisions in their life-- not that they can't be important or even momentous, but in the grand scheme of things the choices we make take place within circumstances that are pre-determined. I think McCarthy sees human beings as tiny specks swept along in the tidal wave of events and history.

Example: Llewelyn Moss makes a momentous decision when he decides to keep the bag containing 2 million dollars. But how many hundreds, thousands, millions of events and circumstances had to take place over numerous lifetimes to put that money under his nose? He may have overslept and not been able to hunt that morning. His wife may have been feeling ill, his truck may have malfunctioned. The drug deal could have been resolved satisfactorily..... a thousand things, completely out of his control, could have kept him out of that Mexican hospital. If the wounded man who begged for water had been shot dead (a bullet one-quarter of an inch to the left or right), Moss would not have returned to the scene-- what then?

The Fate/Free Will theme is not just woven into the story. It is discussed openly between characters in a number of scenes. Maybe it's me, but the word "luck" seems to be all over the place.

Unread post

No - I don't think it's fate . . . Llewellyn brings this on himself by insisting on trying to keep this money he found.

He could have turned the money over to the law when he found it.

'course I don't know if Chigurgh would have still gone after him.

Return to “No Country for Old Men - by Cormac McCarthy”