• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

No Country- III- The plot.

#47: April - May 2008 (Fiction)
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

The thing about Sheriff Bell . . . actually, there are a lot of people like him - in everyday life, Bell wouldn't be that interesting a person - he'd be the kind of man that talks about the same things every day, sits in the same seat when he enters a public place . . . he's a creature of habit . . . he's a likable guy, but you could only take so much of him.

It takes a good author like Cormac to make this guy interesting . . . Moss, now there's a piece of work - he's basically a nice fella', but he's got his needs, his desires, his love of life itself. Same with his woman - they've got a particular language they share that renews your faith in love all over again.

Chigurgh - oh, don't kid yourself - there are a lot of people (and I'm not saying it's just men) like him. Unfortunately, guys like him are on the breed - he's a nasty individual who's on a mission.

CM lacks nothing in bringing this guy across to me.

But I'm supposed to be talking about plot . . . sorry.

I'm not through with the book yet, but I can see this writer doesn't waste words on small itshay . . . he starts his story with Moss finding the bodies and the money, gives the reader reason to turn the page.

When he moves on from one scene to another, he might just take you into somebody's 'mind' rather than into the next 'scene' . . .you can tell he's a playwright as well as a novelist . . . when he takes the reader into somebody's 'mind' it's for a reason - he uses the time spent with the character's 'thoughts' to continue telling the story.

Forgive me if I'm blathered on too much about characters here.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

The thing about Sheriff Bell . . . actually, there are a lot of people like him - in everyday life, Bell wouldn't be that interesting a person - he'd be the kind of man that talks about the same things every day, sits in the same seat when he enters a public place . . . he's a creature of habit . . . he's a likable guy, but you could only take so much of him.

It takes a good author like Cormac to make this guy interesting . . . Moss, now there's a piece of work - he's basically a nice fella', but he's got his needs, his desires, his love of life itself. Same with his woman - they've got a particular language they share that renews your faith in love all over again.

Chigurgh - oh, don't kid yourself - there are a lot of people (and I'm not saying it's just men) like him. Unfortunately, guys like him are on the breed - he's a nasty individual who's on a mission.

CM lacks nothing in bringing this guy across to me.

But I'm supposed to be talking about plot . . . sorry.

I'm not through with the book yet, but I can see this writer doesn't waste words on small itshay . . . he starts his story with Moss finding the bodies and the money, gives the reader reason to turn the page.

When he moves on from one scene to another, he might just take you into somebody's 'mind' rather than into the next 'scene' . . .you can tell he's a playwright as well as a novelist . . . when he takes the reader into somebody's 'mind' it's for a reason - he uses the time spent with the character's 'thoughts' to continue telling the story.

Forgive me if I've blathered on too much about characters here.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

There's something I'm noticing - and I guess this has to do with 'plot' . . . is this writer hung up on the act of lying down on a bed with a gun by his side?

Seems every few pages somebody lies down on a bed with a gun by his side.

Is one of these weapon going to 'go off', like the proverbial 'gun on the mantelpiece'?

I'll probably know by tomorrow - should be through with the read by then.

Return to “No Country for Old Men - by Cormac McCarthy”