• In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Splendid Suns: Ending.

#42: Dec. - Jan. 2008 (Fiction)
theowne
Official Newbie!

Unread post

It is a warped field in India of opposing viewpoints. In the cities you have engineers, scientists, modern thinkers who want so much for India to fully enter the modern age, but if you drive a few miles into the villages, you find ancient traditions and customs living on, undisturbed. As India, the second fastest growing country in the world, begins to take up it's role as an influential country, we will have to see how they deal with this sort of thing. Already they have passed laws hoping to curb casteism, which is the largest concern, in my opinion. Having visited there myself, I feel that the treatment and respect of women is actually culturally and historically positive, even in the rural areas of Kerala that I saw. Far closer to the modern West compared to the Taliban regime.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hello Theowne, welcome to Booktalk. :smile:

Would you like to tell us a little about yourself, and about your tastes in books, by using the "Introduce Yourself threads" ?
Ophelia.
tiberius
Getting Comfortable

Re: Splendid Suns: Ending.

Unread post

I really enjoyed this and the Kite Runner. I know they're different, but as I read them together, I tend to think of them as whole. Here's a brief article I wrote on them:

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/334163_t ... many-years
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: Splendid Suns: Ending.

Unread post

This is an excellent review, it is very well written. Do you review books often? Do you review for any other sites?

Return to “A Thousand Splendid Suns - by Khaled Hosseini”