• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 736 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:38 am

No Country- III- The plot.

#47: April - May 2008 (Fiction)
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

"The intricate plot, set in rural Texas, involves three characters chasing after Llewelyn Moss , a lovable salt-of-the-earth type who stumbles upon $2 million and a mess of dead bodies in the wake of a blown drug deal in the desert.

There's the narrator, Ed Tom Bell , a melancholy sheriff nearing retirement who investigates the murders.
There's Chigurh, an associate of the drug dealers who's bent on recovering the money and totally unconcerned with how many innocent people he wipes out in the process. "

Chicago Reader
Ophelia.
JohnShadeFan
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

If I were to reduce the plot down to a sentence, it would be this: "Man finds money, keeps it, and trouble ensues."

This sort of reminds mt of the book (and subsequent movie) "A Simple Plan," only there, three found the money. It also reminds me of a movie (also starring Billy Bob) where a group of freinds find a bunch of marijuana. Home Grown, it might've been called.

I have a feeling that McCarthy used a somewhat generic plot so that he could focus on Bell. To me, most of the meaning of the book all comes from Bell's interior monolgues.
Kenneth
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Yes John. Your post resonates with me because in the back of my mind I have always been thinking "A Simple Plan." It's a pretty generic scenario: decent guy finds a fortune and becomes corrupted. Remember Steinbeck's "The Pearl?" A simple pearl-diver finds the fortune of a lifetime and ultimately loses everything.

I like your comments, John, regarding Bell's interior monologues. I agree that they are very important. I don't think there's much doubt that Bell's diary lays out a central theme: an erosion of morality. It's been discussed here quite a bit. Guns in schools. Ophelia spoke of knives in French schools.

I see a problem with Bell's simplistic view: "Any time you quit hearin sir and mam the end is pretty much in sight.... that leaves people settin around out in the desert dead in their vehicles..." For me this betrays a rocking-chair mentality when what is needed is a two-fisted cop. Ed Tom Bell is a positive character but he is a first class whiner, exactly what we don't need with Anton Chigurh on the loose.

I see Cormac McCarthy here as a top-shelf illusionist. He sets us up with Bell's heartfelt monologues and proceeds to lead us along with the good Sheriff's actions. We pull for this guy. We like him and long for him to succeed. But he is irrelevant. He gets close to the action only within a context of humiliation. He doesn't come remotely close to a bust-- he has no clue. He's front and center in the author's telling of the story but remains a footnote in the grand scheme of things. When Carson Wells confronts Moss in the Mexican hospital he is asked what he thinks of Bell. Wells replies that he doesn't think of him at all. "He's a redneck sheriff in a hick town in a hick county. In a hick state."

Unfortunately Wells is correct. McCarthy stacks the deck and then deals from the bottom. He gives us a moral authority (Bell) who is not a player in the game and who does not have what it takes to play the game. Yet we are tricked into following him around as if he matters. He doesn't.
JohnShadeFan
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Agree 100% with your assessment of Bell's "philosophy." However, don't we all look for answers to explain away evil and casual violence? Bell's front-porch philosophy is less convincing than, say, a professional research report on "the effects of violence in the media," but aren't most (all?) of the theories finally unsatisfactory? This book frightened me in many ways, and this might be the core reason: there's not much that can fully account for the moral erosion in this country.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

John,

I'll take your post to "the themes" and carry on there.
Ophelia.
shawnrohrbach

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

Kenneth wrote:Yes John. Your post resonates with me because in the back of my mind I have always been thinking "A Simple Plan." It's a pretty generic scenario: decent guy finds a fortune and becomes corrupted. Remember Steinbeck's "The Pearl?" A simple pearl-diver finds the fortune of a lifetime and ultimately loses everything.

I like your comments, John, regarding Bell's interior monologues. I agree that they are very important. I don't think there's much doubt that Bell's diary lays out a central theme: an erosion of morality. It's been discussed here quite a bit. Guns in schools. Ophelia spoke of knives in French schools.

I see a problem with Bell's simplistic view: "Any time you quit hearin sir and mam the end is pretty much in sight.... that leaves people settin around out in the desert dead in their vehicles..." For me this betrays a rocking-chair mentality when what is needed is a two-fisted cop. Ed Tom Bell is a positive character but he is a first class whiner, exactly what we don't need with Anton Chigurh on the loose.

I see Cormac McCarthy here as a top-shelf illusionist. He sets us up with Bell's heartfelt monologues and proceeds to lead us along with the good Sheriff's actions. We pull for this guy. We like him and long for him to succeed. But he is irrelevant. He gets close to the action only within a context of humiliation. He doesn't come remotely close to a bust-- he has no clue. He's front and center in the author's telling of the story but remains a footnote in the grand scheme of things. When Carson Wells confronts Moss in the Mexican hospital he is asked what he thinks of Bell. Wells replies that he doesn't think of him at all. "He's a redneck sheriff in a hick town in a hick county. In a hick state."

Unfortunately Wells is correct. McCarthy stacks the deck and then deals from the bottom. He gives us a moral authority (Bell) who is not a player in the game and who does not have what it takes to play the game. Yet we are tricked into following him around as if he matters. He doesn't.
The problem with a "two fisted cop" here in San Diego and Tijuana is they end up very dead. The plot is violence, that's it and when you turn on the local San Diego or Tijuana (and mexicalii) news it's one dead body after another, and they are 99% associated with the drug trafficking on the US-Mexico border. McCarthy did this one right. He's lived in the Southwest near the border long enough to see it first hand and I think did a terrrific job of commenting on something we usually want to cover up; this country's hypocritcal embrace of drugs while we ignore the violent system that supplies them. The deathly violence of the drug supply system, fraught with corrupt cops and absolutely ruthless suppliers is very real. As for Bell not being a player, he's very much like the most effective cops in the area of San Diego/Tijuana. The macho gun slingers get gunned down first while the wise old birds (Bell) seemingly stand back and do nothing, but who are continuously studying the enemy to find the weak spots. Yes, perhaps Mccarthy could have shown some results of this policing style, but Bell is true to form. When the locals make a bust, they may be few and far between, but they are massive in scale. It took the local police and the DEA 10 months to finally break a drug ring on the SDSU campus last school year; 91 arrests and counting and they were as quiet as church mice in the process. I didn't care much for the "..Horses" novels he wrote, but this one he got right.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Re: No Country- III- The plot.

Unread post

Ophelia wrote:No Country- III- The plot.

"The intricate plot, set in rural Texas, involves three characters chasing after Llewelyn Moss , a lovable salt-of-the-earth type who stumbles upon $2 million and a mess of dead bodies in the wake of a blown drug deal in the desert.

There's the narrator, Ed Tom Bell , a melancholy sheriff nearing retirement who investigates the murders.
There's Chigurh, an associate of the drug dealers who's bent on recovering the money and totally unconcerned with how many innocent people he wipes out in the process. "

Chicago Reader
I agree with 'Chicago Reader', Ophelia . . . especially about Chigurh - and I'm supposin' this is pronounced 'Chigger' - I'll have to wait till we rent the movie, I guess.

Yes - the innocent people he wipes out - figures anybody Mexican doesn't matter it seems - just barrels on into that bathroom in the motel room and starts firing.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

Well, JohnShadeFan, we fortunately don't have this kind of thing happening as
an everyday thing in our lives here in the western world.

This kind of bloodbath, is something you see in Bonnie & Clyde, In Cold Blood,
Al Capone yarns, etc.

Also a lot of the shooting that was done was 'gang related' . . . just like a lot of
the murders that are happening here in Toronto - they're 'gang' stuff - they're
shootin' each other dead.

And who are 'they'? Yeah, you can ask - kids that are barely out of diapers!

If we let the media lead us to draw our conclusions, we'll be under the impression
that live in a very dangerous, violent environment and we've got to watch out
for evil on every street corner.

Fortunately, there's a thousand times 'good' in our lives here in the city, for
every incident of evil.

Guess I'll see y'all in 'themes'.

Carly
shawnrohrbach

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

WildCityWoman wrote:Well, JohnShadeFan, we fortunately don't have this kind of thing happening as
an everyday thing in our lives here in the western world.

This kind of bloodbath, is something you see in Bonnie & Clyde, In Cold Blood,
Al Capone yarns, etc.

Also a lot of the shooting that was done was 'gang related' . . . just like a lot of
the murders that are happening here in Toronto - they're 'gang' stuff - they're
shootin' each other dead.

The problem is killing the police chief of Tijuana was routine. The killing of a US Immigrations officer was routine. The shooting of a Mexican federal agent was routine. McCarthy got this one right; this murderous rampage these drug cartels are on is not to be ignored. Yes it was a violent book and the movie only focused on the violence; and sometimes on the border, in order to get the hard drugs to market, that's all there is. Deathly violence

And who are 'they'? Yeah, you can ask - kids that are barely out of diapers!

If we let the media lead us to draw our conclusions, we'll be under the impression
that live in a very dangerous, violent environment and we've got to watch out
for evil on every street corner.

Fortunately, there's a thousand times 'good' in our lives here in the city, for
every incident of evil.

Guess I'll see y'all in 'themes'.

Carly
Kenneth
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

shawnrohrbach-- Since I don't live near the border as you do I respect your opinions regarding the drug trade and border problems in the San Diego area. But we're discussing a specific work of fiction here. We have to take the author's work as it stands. Sheriff Bell is Sheriff Bell. He's not a wise old bird. He's over the hill, part of the problem. You sayyes perhaps McCarthy could have shown some results of his policing style.... but Bell is true to form. You're confusing real life with literature. McCarthy doesn't have Bell fit the mold you like because he doesn't choose to in his work. The title, let's not forget, is No Country for Old Men. It comes from a poem by William Butler Yeats called Sailing to Byzantium which opens with "That is no country for old men." It's a poem of aging, death, rebirth.

A key line in the poem is:

An aged man is but a paltry thing
a tattered coat upon a stick

In other words a "scarecrow" like poor Ed Bell. The work of the author is there. We can't wish it away.

Return to “No Country for Old Men - by Cormac McCarthy”