• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

VIII- HD- Mr Kurtz.

#44: Feb. - Mar. 2008 (Fiction)
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

VIII- HD- Mr Kurtz.

Unread post

VIII- Mr Kurtz.

1- In the second part of the novella, page 69, we learn about a report Mr Kurtz wrote for "The International Society for the Suppression of Savage Customs".

a- What do you think of the choice of name for the Society?

b- What may this be alluding to?

c- What about the four words Kurtz scrawled at the bottom of his report?

2- About Mr Kurtz, the narrator writes that "The thing was to know what he belonged to, how many powers of darkness claimed him for their own"
page 67.

3- DWill wrote:
Achebe may also be right about Kurtz being a hollow figure and in no way worthy of the awe that Marlow shows for him. Big deal, Kurtz goes nuts and loses all his fine principles. He ends up a mass murderer who may discover what a bad character he was upon his own death. Marlow tells us over and over about Kurtz's effect on him, but he does little showing of Kurtz's supposed magnificence. It's hard to see any tragic quality in Kurtz that would so affect Marlow. In that regard, the book may not be even the complete artistic success it is reputed to be.
Ophelia.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

Heh! Heh! I dunno', really - but I remember how funny I found it when I'm across the name of that society - it just seemed like something somebody would conjur up as a joke.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Well - wait a minute -

I know that in the past we used to have public hangings and burnings and furthermore, people went to watch!!!

But there were more recently barbaric practices by tribes in Africa, and still are - if twins were born - one had to be killed - that was part of a tradition which I believe the Victorian missionaries countered.

There is still female circumcision - and worse - performed on young girls from certain African tribes - and so I think I would join a society to bannish this practise if I knew of one - now.

I don't think it is wrong to interfere - so long as we remember that we have been just as barbaric in the past.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Penelope,

This is something I have often thought about over the years.

Once people in the west had realized how much harm our colonizing or general meddling had done in the past (missionaries doing more wrong than good, etc...), there was a strong voice saying that we should do the opposite, and leave well alone in traditional societies in Africa.

Unfortunately, this always means leaving women to their sometimes horrid fate.

We can't interfere, and it's no use preaching. Interfering as western nations would be wrong and impractical: we would never have enough United Nation soldiers to watch all cruel practises.

One thing that does work I think is NGOs offering pratctical ways of making women's lives easier (for example by bringing water into villages) and offering education for women.

Once women are no longer crushed by domestic tasks they have some time to learn and once they are educated they are better equipped to first question and then refuse tyranical customs which wictimize women and children.
Ophelia.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

The name of the society projects the European view that the native people needed to be saved, civilized. Whatever customs may have existed that were truly savage (and I don't think we can say to what extent these may have been present), it seems that the practices introduced by the Europeans wanting to get rich were savage indeed. Thus I believe that Conrad could mean the name to be bitterly ironic.

Kurtz couldn't maintain his noble intentions once he arrived in the heart of darkness. Presumably, he lost his mind entirely and repudiated all his high aims, becoming a monster. Now, whether it was that he descended to the savagery of the Africans whom he was among, or that his monstrousness came from his own being, I can't say for sure. To me, the answer Conrad gives is ambiguous.

DWill
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Well, DWill, I think that Kurtz comes over as a complete megalomaniac. He went there and was intent on collecting all of that Ivory. I think the Ivory became an obsession - and he forgot it was meant to buy him a comfortable life.

He obviously enjoyed lording it over the natives......not only they, but the white men seem to have been in awe of him......big ego....believed his own publicity.......there are still folk like that about.

I was once a mere typist at ICI Engineering here in Cheshire. There was a big Soda Ash making plant opposite our building. I went to a 'Quality Training' seminar once which was meant to train one to prioritise ones tasks. I asked 'What is Soda Ash - What is it for?' No one knew. The Managers had to find out and then write a letter to me explaining what it was used for. Even then, it was all rather vague. :shock:
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

DWill said:

Kurtz couldn't maintain his noble intentions once he arrived in the heart of darkness.

IMO - There is nothing 'noble' about the gathering and exporting of Ivory.

However, there is plenty of evidence of 'Savage Practices' among ethnic groups today. I am not saying that we, as a culture, don't have brutal or barbaric practices. But we don't have women expected to throw themselves on their husband's funeral pire as in India. We don't mutilate our young women as still happens today. To give just two examples.

I think the idea of the 'noble savage' can be carried too far. I am all for interfering, even though I do appreciate that some of these tribes have practises which we would do well to emulate. But some should be addressed.....
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Penelope wrote:... there is plenty of evidence of 'Savage Practices' among ethnic groups today. I am not saying that we, as a culture, don't have brutal or barbaric practices. But we don't have women expected to throw themselves on their husband's funeral pire as in India. We don't mutilate our young women as still happens today. To give just two examples. I think the idea of the 'noble savage' can be carried too far. I am all for interfering, even though I do appreciate that some of these tribes have practises which we would do well to emulate. But some should be addressed.....
It is interesting here to think about the real difference between Europe and Africa in the contest for power. Hilaire Belloc maintained the difference was force of arms
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Penelope wrote:
IMO - There is nothing 'noble' about the gathering and exporting of Ivory.
We all noticed that the Africans who helped Kurtz get all the ivory he wanted were just vague figures in the background, but talking about the white male in the centre relegating everything else to the world of darkness, what about the elephants themselves? I don't remember even reading ther word "elephant" in the novella, it's as if the tusks just happened to be there for the collecting.

I haven't read any critic writing about lack of regard for conservation - not mentioning animal rights- OK, I could not resist the temptation of a little anachronistic thinking here.

Penelope, I think "megalomaniac" is a good word for Kurtz.
Ophelia.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

RoberTulip said:

So, I favour interference to improve governance and services. Barbaric practices such as slavery and terrorism can be reduced by economic development. But the example of the colonial empires of nineteenth century Africa shows the negative consequences of flimsy assumptions about superiority when these assumptions so easily degenerate into racial prejudice.

How well said Robert - you are obviously so much better informed than I and I am grateful to have read your well-worded reply.

We do seem to go in and take everything and give nothing back - often.
Sometimes we do the wrong thing for the right reason and sometimes the right thing for the wrong reason. Sometimes we (in the West) have just done the wrong thing for the basest of reasons. But although we might feel ashamed at how we have behaved in the past, I don't think it means we should turn our faces away completely from overt barbarism. In fact, I think this is the opposite of racism - not to exploit, but to treat as we ourselves would wish to be treated in such circumstances.

Thus one is labelled - Idealist!!!!! Or in my case 'Interfering old Busybody'. :)

Return to “Heart of Darkness - by Joseph Conrad”