• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Heart of Darkness

#44: Feb. - Mar. 2008 (Fiction)
Audrey
Finally Comfortable

Unread post

I just wish I could of had the enjoyment that the rest of the class seemed to have with the book. I guess I'll just have to wait a while and then retry reading it (this time for enjoyment) :)

That is pretty great! I don't believe I've ever heard that word in my life. Is it crazy how dialects seem to change?
WildCityWoman
Genius

I've just read the first couple of pages . . .

Unread post

I don't remember reading it before - mine's a slim hardcover - the old fashioned bookie kinda' thing . . .

Narrative? Hoo boy!

You have to keep your mind on it from line to line - very wordy.

Something like Steinbeck - he goes on and on with the narrative too.

Carly :-0
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Audrey - I am very interested in dialect and the roots of language - after all - that is how we communicate!

I don't want words in dialect to die out. .

Words are inadequate to express our emotions. We need all the nuances and help we can get.

And that is why I think music is so often important to the young. ;-)
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Carly - A lot of people in UK voted Wuthering Heights their favourite novel of all time.

I think it is a silly book. BUT - I do wonder how a very small spinster lady who died at a tragically young age - knew about all that passion!!

Kathy and Heathcliffe - I wanted it to be true love, once.....but now I am glad that I know it is just the wonderful imagination of a very gifted young woman.

Seductive idea, but dangerous. :P
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Wuthering Heights.

Unread post

I love Wuthering Heights!

What I remember of it is not the love story, but the setting, the wind on the moors, the excess in everything that great isolation brings.

This is one of those books that I was lucky enough to be able to read (here, re-read) where it had been written.
A few years ago, I went to Haworth, where the Bronte sisters lived. I had a wonderful Bed and Breakfast room with a view on the landscape, and I read from there.
Also, I took walks with a friend (and visited tea-rooms, one of the highlights of my trips to Britain).
Unforgettable experience.
Ophelia.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Ophelia - I grew up on those moors. Not the Yorkshire Moors (although I have visited Haworth).

I grew up on the Lancashire Moors - in a small cottage - built in 1805 - (it said that in stone above the door!!). The Lancashire Moors and the Moors around Haworth are very similar.

It is very wild and beautiful - but the important thing, I think, is that those of us who grew up there in various isolated cottages - grew up with a wild and independent way of thinking. We relied on our neighbours - we learned to trust one another. Do you know what I mean when I tell you, when it snows up there - it snows sideways.

I am working on my laptop now and haven't got access to all my pictures, but tomorrow, when I am on the main pc., I will send you some pictures of Pickup Bank - an area on the moors between Blackburn/Darwen/Haslingden if you want to look on Google Earth.

Then you will see me there - because we went to visit there last year - and it hasn't changed a bit, since I was a little girl and lived there from the age of six until I was seventeen.

Ooooh but I think Wuthering Heights is a love story.....
WildCityWoman
Genius

Old ladies rock, eh?

Unread post

Even the married ones - you'd be amazed what we know about romance.
Audrey
Finally Comfortable

Unread post

As much as you guys rave on about this book, maybe I will give it another shot soon :]
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Carly - A lot of people in UK voted Wuthering Heights their favourite novel of all time.

I think it is a silly book. BUT - I do wonder how a very small spinster lady who died at a tragically young age - knew about all that passion!!

Kathy and Heathcliffe - I wanted it to be true love, once.....but now I am glad that I know it is just the wonderful imagination of a very gifted young woman.

Seductive idea, but dangerous. :P
Hi Penelope . . . I see you're a couple years younger than me.

I'm just curious which post of mine you were responding to here.

I liked Wuthering Heights - liked the movie too - a good old fashioned romance.

Did I say I didn't like it? If so, I must have had it mixed up with something else.

Well, at our age, we've got a lot of books under our belts.

This one here? I don't remember doing it in school - not even in the adult education credits I took in the 90's.

I think I mentioned that we had to do Lord of the Flies when I did a lit/comp course at Burnhamthorpe Collegiate - grade 10/11 credits.

I had my high school credits, but got most of it by going to a business college for 9 months.

Enjoyed school a lot more, as an adult, than I did as a teen.

----------------

I don't really care for this book so far - very wordy - unnecessarily wordy, IMO, but a lot of old books are like that.

Doesn't matter what the teachers tell us is good literature, if I don't like a book, I don't want to read it.

I'm going to read this one to the last chapter and if I'm still not interested, I'm closing it.

I find it kinda' depressing - maybe it's because I get particularly ticked off at the way our white ancestors just moved on into places and 'colonized'.

I won't enlarge upon that thought, for fear I'll be on my soapbox, boring everybody with my political/social views.

Ha ha!
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Well, fellow 60's swinger - It sounds as if you have a similar sort of education as myself. Mostly self induced I'd say.

Yes I have read a lot of books - but I know from going to Evening literature classes - that I haven't always - got their message.

I was amazed at Virginia Wolf - no story - about relationships!!!

Lord of the Flies - not meant to be entertaining - meant to be disturbing.

A Clockwork Orange disturbed me most of all - but I loved it.

Some books you read....and you're never quite the same again....don't you think? HD is one of those.

Return to “Heart of Darkness - by Joseph Conrad”