• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 742 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am

To what extent is moral behavior situational?

#41: Nov. - Dec. 2007 (Non-Fiction)
Aubrey.Alexis
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I am only in Chapter 9 at this point, but I think what is so interesting is what everyone had to say about themselves (both prisoners and guards) and their own morality following the experiment.

Clearly, at the beginning, none of these people thought they were morally weak human beings. However, it is obvious that many of them were easily swayed by the situation of the prison.

Upon finishing the experiment, some said their roles were completely separate from themselves as individuals - that they separated their minds from their actions. Some recall being discouraged and upset by seeing themselves behave in certain ways as it was happening, some report really letting the roles they were playing become a part of them, and then some report trying to avoid having to play the role they were assigned.

I find this very interesting, because we can only surmise how we would react in the same situation and while it is clear that a situation does much to alter the way a person reacts, there is a lot of variance in to what extent people are effected.

Rather than simply wonder if we would react with evil actions or not, I wonder to what extent we would be a part of those evil actions. I'm hoping Zimbardo goes on to discuss this!
Aubrey.Alexis
Almost Comfortable

Ego and a job well done

Unread post

The issue I have had in mind that I think compounds this idea of our moral compass is our intrinsic desire to be qualified - to do a good job. I think one of the things that helps a person to take on a new role is the expectation that people have of them being able to do a good job. The guards started out by trying to be the best they could at the role. Many of the prisoners started out by being obedient because that is what they were being paid to do - so they did a good job. From there, the situation took hold. But, had they not had that desire to do a good job, I'm not sure it would have worked as well.

Return to “The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil - by Philip Zimbardo”