• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 742 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am

Godless in America: Why I wrote it

#39: July - Oct. 2007 (Non-Fiction)
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Getting away, for a moment, from the line of inquiry DH is persuing, who did you envision as your audience for the book, George? Religious believers? Other atheists? People who were on the fence?
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

MadArchitect wrote:Getting away, for a moment, from the line of inquiry DH is persuing, who did you envision as your audience for the book, George? Religious believers? Other atheists? People who were on the fence?
I hoped the book would be useful to nonbelievers to help them clarify their own thinking about atheism, etc., and would help some theists to gain a better understanding of atheism and what it means to be an atheist in the United States, or, at least, how this atheist perceives it.

I can't honestly claim I had a specific target audience in mind when I wrote the book, except to say that I was fairly confident fundamentalist religionists probably would not be reading it.

George
George Ricker

"Nothing about atheism prevents me from thinking about any idea. It is the very epitome of freethought. Atheism imposes no dogma and seeks no power over others."

mere atheism: no gods

Return to “Godless in America: Conversations With an Atheist - by George A. Ricker”