• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Bush and his visit with the troops in Iraq

#11: Nov. - Dec. 2003 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Bush and his visit with the troops in Iraq

Unread post

I think this forum is an appropriate place to throw this question at you all. How do you feel about Bush and his visit on Thanksgiving with American troops in Iraq?Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

--------------------

Unread post

It was rather irresponsible, hardly a complete suprise, I had wondered if he would go. Its brilliant PR for his election campaign. But he put himself (the president of the United States) in danger for no apparent reason. He put the troops under unneccessary danger. If the iraqi parimilataries had got word of the visit, then people would have died, just so Bush could pull off another PR coup. Its almost as bad as the 'Mission Acomplished' farce.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: --------------------

Unread post

I always find it interesting how different people interpret the exact same information. My opinion is that Bush was genuine and had a serious pair of balls to make such a trip. Did you watch the videotape? The water in his eyes was not makeup. I think Bush did a hell of a good thing by letting those soldiers know that they aren't alone and that people care.My very first reaction was that he placed himself in danger during wartime, but after thinking about it my views softened. The mission was secret and he would have turned Airforce-1 around had security been compromised. I was impressed by the gesture.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."
Meme Wars
Gaining experience

Re: Bush's Thanksgiving visit

Unread post

Hillary Clinton went as well (potential presidential candidate?) but she was accused of it being pure political posturing.I do see Bush doing the same, but yet people take him as genuine.I believe that it was a good move to support the troops, and I believed he was touched. But I also believed that he was also encouraged to improve his ratings. It can be "all of the above".Monty VonnMeme Wars!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

MontyTrue, it is probably an all of the above situation. In times like this I try to look at things as objectively as possible. With that said I still think that Bush did this with the best of intentions.His heart was in the right place and he was obviously overcome by emotion when standing in front of those cheering troops. I was suprised he controlled his tears so well as I wouldn't have been so strong.When it comes to Hillary I cannot fathom a reason why she would be over there other than for political gain. I guess I base this opinion on what I know about her. Bush went because he is the Commander & Chief of those soldiers. Yea, he benefited politically, but he still should have gone and he did go.Anyone that flies into Baghdad during wartime is risking their live. I wasn't even aware that Hillary made the trip until you mentioned it. If its true, and I assume it is, then she does deserve some credit. Even if her intention was purely political it still would raise the morale of the troops and is therefore a good thing.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."
MichaelangeloGlossolalia

Unread post

The Bush trip was a great photo-op. He appeared only on his terms, with only the press he wanted around, and only the people he wanted around. Bush's team has used that strategy often: "let them say whatever they want about you, but make sure the photos present your reality, and only your reality." Edited by: MichaelangeloGlossolalia at: 12/4/03 9:42 pm
MichaelangeloGlossolalia

Unread post

More Photographic Dishonesty from President Bush In the most famous picture from his trip to Baghdad, President Bush had himself artfully photographed to look like he was serving turkey to the troops. The image was emblazoned on front pages throughout the country - and now appears to be an entirely false depiction. According to the Washington Post, Bush was actually holding "a decoration, not a serving plate." In other words, he was holding a prop, not real food, and thus only pretending for the cameras to be serving up the holiday meal. The Post notes that "the foray has opened new credibility questions for a White House that has dealt with issues" like this in the past. In fact, the flap marks the second such distortion in as many days about his trip to Baghdad. Just yesterday it was revealed that the White House's tall tale of Air Force One crossing paths with a British Airways plane was entirely false. The deceptive picture also harkens back to the controversy surrounding the President's "Mission Accomplished" banner. On May 1, he stood on the deck of the U.S.S. Lincoln in front of the giant sign and declared that "major combat operations have ended." Since that time, more troops have been killed or wounded than before he made that statement, prompting more questions about his photo-op. When asked why he chose to stand in front of the "Mission Accomplished" banner at a press conference six months later, Bush "disavowed the background banner," saying the White House staff had nothing to do with producing it. But then Navy and administration officials admitted the President had been dishonest, saying that "the White House actually made it." White House spokesman Scott McClellan specifically said, "We took care of the production of it. We have people to do those things." Of course, Bush's penchant for taking misleading and dishonest photos has not been confined to Iraq. In July of 2002, the President visited a low-income housing development in Atlanta to tout his commitment to funding it. He then proposed a budget that eliminated its funding. Similarly, the President visited a Boys and Girls Club in January of 2003 to tout the organization's efforts. He said the club "has got a grand history of helping children." Just four days after his photo-op, he proposed to cut out of funding for the Boys and Girls Clubwww.misleader.org/daily_m...42003.html

Return to “Lies (And the Lying Liars Who Tell Them): A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right - by Al Franken”