Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:06 pm

<< Week of June 29, 2016 >>
Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday
29 Day Month

30 Day Month

1 Day Month

2 Day Month

3 Day Month

4 Day Month

5 Day Month

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
How many people plan to participate in this? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

Post How many people plan to participate in this?
How many of you plan to participate in the reading and discussion of this book? I'm wondering who currently has a copy of the book, who has it on order, and who plans to order it. And of these members....who plans to read and discuss the book.

Results (total votes = 9):
I have a copy and will participate in the discussion 5 / 55.6%  
I have ordered a copy and will participate...soon! 4 / 44.4%  

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandella

Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:08 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Re: How many people plan to participate in this?
I have a copy and will participate in the discussion.

Chris

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandella

Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:09 pm
Profile Email WWW

Post What is good
I ordered the book on 8/25 and will participate if? I ever get it! (they said it'd be 10-14 days)

Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:18 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Professor

Silver Contributor

I wanted to participate, but my $ situation is so tight it is not funny. The cheapest I can find this book is for $30.00 or somthing silly like that...then there is shipping. I just cannot do it.

If it becomes more available, and my funds rebound, I will pick it up and add my thoughts.

Mr. P.

The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.

I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of Pain

HEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. P

Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:22 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Nick

I have emailed Dr. Grayling asking him if he could help us with securing some additional copies of his book. I see that the lowest priced used book is about $38 now. Wow! Those sellers must know about our book discussion and are being opportunists.

Oh, and I also asked him to join us for a chat session. I'll keep you posted on his response.

Chris

Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:57 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genuinely Genius

Silver Contributor

I own it and will participate in discussions.

Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:41 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Asleep in Reading Chair

As I am the discussion leader I suppose I better participate. :D

Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:27 pm

I really want to participate, but don't know if I can justify the cost ($25 in my local bookshop). It's available at my university library, but is currently out, and so I'm in line (and even if I get it, I might only have it for a week if someone else puts a hold on it).

Just as a side note - it's available at the UK amazon site for 3.99 pounds (about $7 USD). The shipping costs might still make it feasible for people in the US to purchase it that way (not sure what the shipping cost is, though).

Nicole

Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:45 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Thanks Nicole!

I have made a post on our Home page regarding ordering the book through Amazon.co.uk for those interested in this option.

Here is a copy of the message...

If you are struggling to get a copy of our current book selection, What is Good?, by A.C. Grayling, there is a solution. You can order the book through Amazon.co.uk for a fraction of the cost of ordering through the US division. Amazon.com currently offers the book used for $38.94, while Amazon.co.uk offers it at only $7.05 USD. (3.99 GBP). I'll change the link on the Current Book section above to direct to the UK site.

Chris

Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 9/5/04 8:16 pm

Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:16 pm
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

By the way, Dr. Grayling has accepted our invitation to a chat session in early November. :) I'll be announcing this in more detail shortly.

Chris

Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:18 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Kindle Fanatic

Bronze Contributor 2

Well, I ordered it from Amazon.co.uk when we first started talking about it, and just got an email that they are out of stock. So, I bought it on Ebay for

Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:38 pm
Profile Email
Kindle Fanatic

Bronze Contributor 2

Post Re: What is Good?
no

Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:38 pm
Profile Email
Wearing Out Library Card

Post Re: What is Good?
I'm planning on pretty much ignoring the planned out time for this book. The expected book delivery to me went from a couple of days to a couple of weeks to the book will be mailed on November 15. :( I think I've got a booktalk curse on me...I haven't yet managed to have the discussion book for a long enough time at the right time when I don't have way to much other stuff going on. I'll keep trying, and I am planning on adding to the discussion when I finally get ahold of it.

Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:30 pm
Profile ICQ
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.