• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 742 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am

E-interview questions for Susan Jacoby

#20: July - Sept. 2005 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

E-interview questions for Susan Jacoby

Unread post

E-interview questions for Susan JacobyWe will be submitting questions to Susan Jacoby via email shortly. This format is called an "e-interview," short for "email interview." We're going with this format for this book period due to low attendence at the Victor Davis Hanson chat session on August 25th. I don't want Susan to take time out of her busy life when I cannot assure her that we'll have a full chat room.Please post some quality questions in this thread. We'll edit them together and then send them to Susan when we feel we have a quality batch of questions. I'm hoping for 5 - 10 questions. So start thinking... Chris
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: E-interview questions for Susan Jacoby

Unread post

Surely a few of you have questions.
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

Why is the US, on average, more religious than most European nations?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Thank you Julian!
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Do you think that the 'sides' are so divided that there can be no concensus as there was at the time of the framing of the constitution among the Freethinkers and Evangelical Sects?Do you feel that Separation is in dire trouble...will we see some form of theocracy here in the States?Do you feel democracy and the freedoms it promotes is compatible with a government infused with religion? The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Thanks Nick!
GOD defiles Reason

Unread post

(To Chris)When will these questions be sent to Susan?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

As soon as we have enough to warrant calling this an e-interview. In my opinion we should have a total of 5 - 8 questions. And Susan will need a few weeks to respond.Chris
GOD defiles Reason

Unread post

Hello, Susan. Very nice to um, E-meet ya.Here are my questions for you.Do you think that all the politicians who claim to be a Christian, or Catholic really believe in the religion they claim to be affiliated with? For Bush, it's hard for me to tell. Because when I see him speak, he looks like he might actually believe in his religion. But when I look at someone like Kerry, I don't know. He doesn't strike me as a man who believes in Catholicism.I think faith-based, revealed religion is a house of cards. And it amazes me that they have stuck around for so long. What do you think it would take for that house of cards to crumble?If it did crumble, what would be the adverse effects of that happening? And what can be done to make it a smoother transition into a world (or at least a country) free from faith-based religion? (I specify "faith-based" because I don't consider religious beliefs such as pantheism and some Eastern religions to be dangerous as I do Christianity, Islam, and Judaism)And finally, do you think a society has to have some kind of religion to hold it together? If so, what religions (or what aspects of those religions) would you find healthy? If not, what could replace religion?Shaw
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Thank you very much for those questions!!

Return to “Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism - by Susan Jacoby”