• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Ch. 3: Religious Expression in Public Places

#37: April - June 2007 (Non-Fiction)
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Re: "Government Sponsored Prayer"

Unread post

Mr. P.: If you see a symptom, you need to cure the disease. If we ignore the symptoms, we are asking for trouble.I understand what you're saying, Mr.P; I agree that the issue warrants attention. Prayer before congressional meetings just is not my focus. I don't intend to ignore those symptoms, but treating symptoms is just that...treating symptoms. If I have the flu and I take cough syrup to ease my cough, then my cough will go away. But the flu is still there, eliciting other symptoms. Stopping congresspeople from praying before meetings does only that much. However, stopping congresspeople from legislating according to their religious belief garners better results in treating the disease. And the treatment of the actual disease could help to alleviate other symptoms.(BTW, just to clarify this metaphor, by "disease" I mean an intentional commingling of religion and government.)
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Re: Military Chaplains

Unread post

Rose: Notably mentioned in the speech was the proselytizing and the militant aggression utilized for evangelical purposes. Although, I don't know if this was a product of the chaplains' actions or other military officials...Yes, I've seen similar reports in other places. There seems to be an effort to Christianize America's armed forces. I'm sure some chaplains are probably involved, although I imagine many are as Frank describes them -- more in the "Father Mulcahey" model, if you remember M*A*S*H.George "Godlessness is not about denying the existence of nonsensical beings. It is the starting point for living life without them."Godless in America by George A. Ricker
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Garicker: ...if you remember M*A*S*H.Heh...nope. That was a bit before my time.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

I feel it necessary to point out I have been out of the military for quite a while, I mustered out shortly after Desert Storm. There has been ample time for changes since then.Later
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Quote:Garicker: ...if you remember M*A*S*H.Heh...nope. That was a bit before my time. I really hate when young people say stuff like this...makes me feel old. Mr. P. I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - Asana Boditharta (former booktalk troll)The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.What is all this shit about Angels? Have you heard this? 3 out of 4 people believe in Angels. Are you F****** STUPID? Has everybody lost their mind? - George CarlinI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Tee hee. I couldn't resist. Now that I'm starting to feel older, I take every opportunity to pretend I'm still young. In truth, I probably could have watch MASH in syndicate, but the t.v. wasn't permitted to be on that much when I was a kid. BTW, Mr.P., though I knew you must be a few years older than I, I had kind of placed us as contemporaries. Don't you have a young daughter? Isn't it weird how you start picturing the people that you talk to here?Frank: There has been ample time for changes since then.I don't see the military as especially open to rapid changes in its practices. However, I wonder if under the context of the current administration and the radical evangelicalism that it embraces, if the descriptions Weinstein gives are more possible.
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

Ah well ... as long as we're all young at heart. As to the military and changes, I think these type of changes may happen more rapidly than changes in protocol or strategic thinking and the like. I have seen quite a few references to the aggressive promotion of Christianity among our military forces. Whether this is simply a reflection of a more overt religiosity on the part of Christians or is something being encouraged by the current administration, it definitely seems to be real. What I haven't seen is any quantitative measurements that would tell us how pervasive the trend is. George "Godlessness is not about denying the existence of nonsensical beings. It is the starting point for living life without them."Godless in America by George A. Ricker
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Quote:Don't you have a young daughter? Isn't it weird how you start picturing the people that you talk to here?I do get mental pictures in my head sometimes...but I have been wrong before so I try not to presuppose...I have 4 children...I am 37...not old, but I feel like I am 47 since I stopped exercising!lolMr. P. I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - Asana Boditharta (former booktalk troll)The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.What is all this shit about Angels? Have you heard this? 3 out of 4 people believe in Angels. Are you F****** STUPID? Has everybody lost their mind? - George CarlinI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

Mr. P,This should make you feel younger. I have four children and they're all older than you. My son, the youngest of the four, is 41. In fact, I have two grandsons, and the youngest is 16. Rock on ... George "Godlessness is not about denying the existence of nonsensical beings. It is the starting point for living life without them."Godless in America by George A. Ricker
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Jeez George...YOU'RE OLD!!! Mr. P. I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - Asana Boditharta (former booktalk troll)The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.What is all this shit about Angels? Have you heard this? 3 out of 4 people believe in Angels. Are you F****** STUPID? Has everybody lost their mind? - George CarlinI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Return to “Religious Expression and the American Constitution - by Franklyn S. Haiman”