• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Please "check in" here if you plan to participate in Darwin's Dangerous Idea!

#152: Mar. - May 2017 (Non-Fiction)
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: Please "check in" here if you plan to participate in Darwin's Dangerous Idea!

Unread post

Harry Marks wrote:. . . let me say that I have no reason to believe that "punctuated equilibrium" has been discredited. Although there seem to have been points on which Gould has been shown to have claimed too much for it, the basic idea of stasis and the math behind the challenge by Mayr, Gould and Eldredge to a gradualistic idea of genetic change and speciation seem to be pretty solid. I think it would be great if more light got shed on that question, as it is pretty interesting to my mind.
I agree with you. I don't think punctuated equilibrium has been discredited so much as becoming not as significant as it once was portrayed. Evolution sometimes occurs slowly and gradually and sometimes happens relatively quickly. And this concept is simply not controversial (except to Creationists). Many of the abrupt transitions in the fossil record have been shown to be caused by migratory events. But I'm looking forward to reading Dennett's take on it.

Here's a great description of punctuated equilibrium.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrar ... ctuated_01
-Geo
Question everything
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Please "check in" here if you plan to participate in Darwin's Dangerous Idea!

Unread post

The forum is up and ready for use. The discussion months are March, April and May, but there is no reason why we cannot start early.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

geo wrote: Here's a great description of punctuated equilibrium.
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrar ... ctuated_01
The diagrams make a great presentation of the forces involved in the punctuated equilibrium mechanism. Good background for those interested in Ch. 10. Thanks.
LevV

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental
Canada

Unread post

Thanks Harry Marks for the introduction to this site. It likely would have provided some additional support for me as I struggled through the final chapters of Dennett's book. I expect to visit the site regularly as I now work my way through a book I should have read years ago - Dawkins "The Blind Watchmaker".

Return to “Darwin's Dangerous Idea - by Daniel Dennett”