• In total there are 28 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 28 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

POLL: Countdown to Impeachment

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

When do you think President Trump will be impeached?

Trump will be impeached in 2017

27%
Trump will be impeached in 2018

22%
Trump will be impeached in 2019

5%
Trump will be impeached in 2020

No votes
Trump won't be impeached

46%

Total votes: 37
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Re: POLL: Countdown to Impeachment

Unread post

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_in_th ... ted_States

and

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-fifth_Amen ... nstitution

From the "what non-fiction should we discuss next thread" We are linked to Hannah Arendt's "The Origins of Totalitarianism" I read the available preface's and one of the things that I found to be apropos of what we are living now is her reference to single party rule as being a semi-fascism.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Well said, DB Roy.
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

This was a terribly handled election by both parties. Neither had an acceptable candidate in my opinion so I voted Libertarian. One thing I appreciate about this choice, is the ability to sit back and watch followers of the lead candidates from both parties objectively. I believe the show put on by both sides will color how I place my vote going forward, as I feel like I am somewhere in the middle on nearly all of it. Perhaps we need a third strong party in this country. It would hopefully make things better. I think there is an increasing number of people who are looking at the current goings on and shaking their heads. I don't think Trump will be impeached, but I believe both parties will pay better attention to their constituents when the next election comes along
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

CoolSummer wrote:I think there is an increasing number of people who are looking at the current goings on and shaking their heads.
I think you're right. And we feel trapped in our current two-party system with our hands tied. I changed from being a Republican to independent about a decade ago for exactly what you said. I felt disappointed in bot parties and how just about everyone I met was mentally on autopilot just parroting back the positions of their party and not actually thinking critically about those positions. To me this is due to the confirmation bias where people have a natural tendency to seek out and support stuff they already believe and tune out anything that conflicts with their beliefs. They don't even evaluate the facts. It all happens on a subconscious level that seems to bypass their brain's critical thinking center.

I don't want to be like that. I don't want my conscious brain to be a passenger with my subconscious brain doing the driving. So I left and went on my own. I now flip around and watch many different news channels and it is remarkable how biased each can be. They report the exact same story in totally different ways. I want to rise above this as best as possible.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I haven't read all the comments so if I am repeating someone, excuse me. I voted that Trump won't be impeached; actually I was thinking of his being convicted and removed from office. Remember, impeachment is actually like an indictment in a criminal case. The House of Representatives impeaches; the Senate tries the case. Two presidents have been impeached, Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton. Neither was convicted.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Cattleman, I didn't know that about impeachment. What I'm really wanting to ask is when he will be removed, against his will, from his position as POTUS. It seems likely with all the turmoil but so far he is dodging bullets left and right so maybe I'm wrong.

I did like what he said about requiring new immigrants to the US to not receive welfare for the first 5 years. This makes so much sense. Of course Democrats won't like this because every new immigrant that comes into this country that receives welfare assistance is one new voter that will likely vote Democratic.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:I did like that he said about requiring new immigrants to the US to not receive welfare for the first 5 years. This makes so much sense. Of course Democrats won't like this because every new immigrant that comes into this country that receives welfare assistance is one new voter that will likely vote Democratic.

Uhh... you DO realize that this is already the law, right? The 1996 welfare reform stipulates that "With some exceptions, non-citizens entering the United States after August 22, 1996, the date of enactment of the welfare reform legislation, are not eligible for most welfare benefits, including Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), SSI, Medicaid, and the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP), until they have been in the U.S. for at least five years."

More specifically: "The second factor is date of entry into the United States. Specifically, qualified immigrants who entered after August 22, 1996 are barred from SSI and food stamps until they become citizens and from TANF, Medicaid, and SCHIP for five years after entry."

https://www.brookings.edu/research/welf ... -citizens/

I'm assuming that since this passed under Bill Clinton, Trump is pretending it's his idea now for the first time. As usual, he tries to take credit for things already done so that he can do as little as possible. Maybe because he's now realizing how exceedingly difficult it is to get any legislation passed as president even when your own party controls both houses of congress and the Supreme Court.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Chris wrote:Of course Democrats won't like this because every new immigrant that comes into this country that receives welfare assistance is one new voter that will likely vote Democratic.
Every new immigrant that is denied assistance by a Republican would vote Democrat also. I don't think the Democrats in office need to worry about votes on this one. As long as they're about helping the poor, deservedly or not, they'll get the vote of the poor. At least the ones with an entitlement philosophy. I'm not sure how prevalent that is amongst immigrants.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Is this a question of documented vs. undocumented? Why a legal immigrant to the U.S. should not be able to take advantage of the programs that others do, I can't see. I can't see why citizenship should make such a big difference. As DB said, it is already unlawful for undocumented people to receive TANF, food stamps, health ins. through the ACA, etc., though some manage to anyway, but the drain on federal resources is very small. Also to be taken into account is the billions of dollars undocumented immigrants contribute to Social Security retirement/disability, while not being eligible to receive any benefits down the road.

http://econofact.org/do-undocumented-im ... t-benefits
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Trump is completely disgusting and should be impeached for publicly attacking citizens whose leader he is supposed to be. His "misdemeanors" such as his twitter assault on the "Morning Joe" duo have mounted to a level that represents a crisis for the country. Will we tolerate such a man as our highest representative? We should not.

Return to “Current Events & History”