• In total there are 31 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Making America Great Again -Where to start

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
LevV

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental
Canada

Making America Great Again -Where to start

Unread post

Clearly, "Make America Great Again" doesn't have the same meaning for everyone.

http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2 ... stroyed-it

It's Working People Like My Uncle That Built the Middle Class, and It's Wall Street That Destroyed It

80 years ago tonight my unlce and hundreds of other workers in Flint took over the General Motors factories and held them for 44 days until the company recognized their union, the UAW. GM turned off the heat and water and tried to starve them out. The workers prevailed and families like mine after this were able, for the first time, to make a livable wage, enjoy what was called a "weekend," see a doctor, own a home, buy a car, send the next generation to college.

This victory in Flint spread to other cities and other industries and soon working people who were willing to take a stand had a better life. Of course, this would not last more than 5 decades or so as future generations of workers forgot how what they had was originally obtained, taking for granted that their free health care, their generous pensions, their month-long paid vacations and the sort would somehow be there in perpetuity.

Before long Wall Street and the banks and the elites found ways to chip away at all those "benefits." The Democratic Party, sworn to defend the working class as Roosevelt had on the streets of Flint, grew weak and ineffectual and beholden in some part to the corporate class. By the end of the 20th century, the wages were stagnant or slashed, the benefits eliminated and the government assisted big business in efforts to find cheaper sources of labor overseas. Flint went from being a workers paradise to one of the poorest, most desperate cities in the country. Half the population was able to escape into a diaspora of low-wage states, while the other poorer, Blacker half was left behind -- only to eventually be poisoned by the water a ruthless Republican governor made them drink. My uncle and his brothers and sisters and entire family would not recognize this New Year's Eve as we enter 2017, be it in Flint or throughout the rest of Trump's America. "Trumpmerica."

Of course back in Flint on this night in 1936, the only party anyone was throwing was the one to overthrow the yoke of oppression. It was a great way to ring in the new year. It might still be.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Making America Great Again -Where to start

Unread post

What Donald Trump appears to mean with his campaign slogan is that America needs to win again. Being a winner (once) made America great. Winning would mean that any trade deals the U.S. enters into are to the country's clear advantage. Presumably the deals would be to the other party's disadvantage, because one senses that Trump sees the economics game as zero-sum. I don't see such deal-making as either realistic or admirable, but apparently Trump does. Trying to be fair to him, I think he does believe that his version of winning will be good for American workers, who do need help. Nobody really seems to doubt that.

Return to “Current Events & History”