• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 736 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:38 am

Need some opinions

An open-minded and nonjudgmental place for sharing your personal writing, seeking feedback, and reading and discussing the writing of your fellow members.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MaryBeard
Getting Comfortable

Need some opinions

Unread post

As a new author there is one thing I'm struggling with the most when writing. Since I am writing romance it is kind of a given that sex will be involved. So I'm curious as to what kind of sex scenes you like to read about. When you read a sex scene in a book do you prefer the nice versions where they don't really explain what's going on and just leave it up to you, the reader to kind of imagine it, or do you like scenes like 50 Shades of Grey where they get down to the nitty gritty? If you prefer not to answer here feel free to PM me.

Thanks,
Wade Garret
Almost Comfortable

Re: Need some opinions

Unread post

Try not to get upset: Honestly, this is a silly question.
Consider what you're asking and how many different opinions you're going to get...
You can't plz everyone, so don't try cause everyone likes sex and there are a ton of books that depict it in a hundred or more ways; each with itsown loyal reader—many which read it specifically 'cause it's one way over another way.
It's your book; they're your characters; in what ways would they have sex...depends on you, the setting, the context.

You're a writer.
WRITE IT!!!
MaryBeard
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I have no reason to get upset though I don't really think it's a silly question. You are actually the only one that has responded to my inquiry. I was kind of trying to get a poll on how many like which kind. I do appreciate your comment though. Thank you.
SkywardGnost
Finally Comfortable

Unread post

I like brief sex scenes.

But then again, that's my own opinion. I don't really like drawn out romance parts.
I cringed everytime there was one in the Hunger Games

But you are the sailor of your own ship. Steer it as you may.
SkywardGnost
Finally Comfortable

Unread post

If you want some good examples of sex scenes, I'd check out John Green's looking for Alaska and Atonement by Ian McEwan.

Both use sex for a purpose. I would see how they wrote them and why, and what led up to these scenes and how they were executed.

There's a lot more examples out there I'm sure, but those two just popped up in my mind at the time.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

If you want graphic sex, try reading a Harold Robbins novel - any of them.

For myself, I like the sex in a novel to be understated, and usually off-camera. One of the sexiest passages I ever read dealt with a couple who read romantic poetry to each other, getting more and more turned on. The section ended with... "We read no more that night."
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

it also depends on how and more importantly, why, it is written and who is reading it.

a well written sex scene that verges on too graphic for some, may yet trump a more subtle sex scene that is poorly written, even a reader who prefers a more subtle sex scene may vote for the more graphic scene simply because it is better written, the quality of the writing is key for me, perhaps moreso than the subject at times.

for example if the scene starts "Delores felt excitement as her slender fingers ran through Carlos' thick wavy hair....." well i've put it down already, unless i need a laugh.

but if it starts

"this was wrong, all three of them knew it was dangerous, everything they knew told them it was a point of no return, but somehow the memo never got through to their organs and the chemicals in their bloodstreams didn't seem to care a single iota...."

i might read on a little further.. :lol:
Singa Crew
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hey, if you want to learn the craft of writing sex scenes, check out some Jackie Collins novels. :)
SkywardGnost
Finally Comfortable

Unread post

Just don''t check out fifty shades of gray.
djkirk
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Go with the scene you would like to read.

Return to “Creative Writing”