• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The Story of Life in 25 Fossils by Donald R. Prothero

This forum is dedicated to discussing your preferred FICTION authors, books, and genres.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

The Story of Life in 25 Fossils by Donald R. Prothero

Unread post

I've been exploring the world of fossils lately (thanks to Flann!). It's really quite a fascinating subject. If there's interest, maybe we can start a discussion. I would suggest this one by Donald Prothero . . .

https://www.amazon.com/Story-Life-25-Fo ... +Evolution
Every fossil tells a story. Best-selling paleontology author Donald R. Prothero describes twenty-five famous, beautifully preserved fossils in a gripping scientific history of life on Earth. Recounting the adventures behind the discovery of these objects and fully interpreting their significance within the larger fossil record, Prothero creates a riveting history of life on our planet.

The twenty-five fossils portrayed in this book catch animals in their evolutionary splendor as they transition from one kind of organism to another. We witness extinct plants and animals of microscopic and immense size and thrilling diversity. We learn about fantastic land and sea creatures that have no match in nature today. Along the way, we encounter such fascinating fossils as the earliest trilobite, Olenellus; the giant shark Carcharocles; the "fishibian" Tiktaalik; the "Frogamander" and the "Turtle on the Half-Shell"; enormous marine reptiles and the biggest dinosaurs known; the first bird, Archaeopteryx; the walking whale Ambulocetus; the gigantic hornless rhinoceros Paraceratherium, the largest land mammal that ever lived; and the Australopithecus nicknamed "Lucy," the oldest human skeleton. We meet the scientists and adventurers who pioneered paleontology and learn about the larger intellectual and social contexts in which their discoveries were made. Finally, we find out where to see these splendid fossils in the world's great museums.

Ideal for all who love prehistoric landscapes and delight in the history of science, this book makes a treasured addition to any bookshelf, stoking curiosity in the evolution of life on Earth.
-Geo
Question everything
djkirk
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Re: The Story of Life in 25 Fossils by Donald R. Prothero

Unread post

Another good one, Donald, is The First Signs: Unlocking the Mysteries of the World's Oldest Symbols by Genevieve Von Petzinger. https://www.amazon.com/First-Signs-Unlo ... st+symbols
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

djkirk wrote:Another good one, Donald, is The First Signs: Unlocking the Mysteries of the World's Oldest Symbols by Genevieve Von Petzinger. https://www.amazon.com/First-Signs-Unlo ... st+symbols
That does look good, djkirk. Have you read it?
-Geo
Question everything
djkirk

Unread post

Yes, a good account of cave symbols, where they are at, and how often they occur. I was surprised that over a 30 thousand year period 32 of these symbols re-occur over and over. It gives one the impression that over several millennia, folks were dealing with a similar idea. If it has it fault, it's that the author hints at an educated guess at what the symbols mean yet doesn't deliver. I'm certainly going to look at the 25 fossil book you recommended above. Plus I'm sorry, I referred to you as Donald instead of GEO. I'm new to this chat room.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

geo wrote:If there's interest, maybe we can start a discussion.
I searched two local book stores for "25 Fossils" and ended up ordering a copy from amazon (pricy, 34$). I found it interesting that there are so few books dealing directly with skeletal fossils on the store shelves. Paleontology seems not to be a highly popular subject. In thinking on the subject, I realize that paleontology is more often just referenced in the larger scale discussion of evolution rather than through stand alone book volumes. I also realized that I've relied almost exclusively on articles and or documentary films for my information about the fossil discoveries.

I'm there with you in any discussion of the Prothero book.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

-Hi Taylor, this is good news! I'm almost ready to start reading.

Agreed that this is a pricey book. I bought mine from Abebooks for a little less. I do think the physical book is the way to go because there are a lot of illustrations that wouldn't work well on a Kindle.

You're right that there aren't a lot of paleontology books out there. I'm still looking at Gregory S. Paul's The Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs. But Prothero focuses at least some attention on birds and whales, which is ultimately why I selected this one.

Great to have you on board.
-Geo
Question everything
djkirk

Unread post

A good guide for this layman is The Complete World of Human Evolution by Stringer & Andrews. This is more of a reference book which provides the most agreed upon timeline of where the different species were and when. I'm going to buy the Prothero book and will up for a discussion as well. Maybe we can get the author of join us?
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

Thanks, djkirk. Welcome board!

The Complete World of Human Evolution sounds like a great book too. The story of human evolution is changing fast. I think there are two recent discoveries of hominids since the last revision of this book.

I'm hesitant to ask for author participation at this point. Let's see if we actually get a good discussion going first. Some books are great to read, but there's not much to discuss. I don't know that Prospero's book is the type that will lead to discussion or not. That's my opinion anyway. Taylor, what do you think?
-Geo
Question everything
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

djkirk wrote:Another good one, Donald, is The First Signs: Unlocking the Mysteries of the World's Oldest Symbols by Genevieve Von Petzinger. https://www.amazon.com/First-Signs-Unlo ... st+symbols
djkirk wrote:Yes, a good account of cave symbols, where they are at, and how often they occur. I was surprised that over a 30 thousand year period 32 of these symbols re-occur over and over.
Palaeolithic cave art is something else indeed, the art and associated symbols its been proposed come from the development of some unknown form of spoken language. Its interesting to think of how early homo sapiens communicated 'follow me' or 'look at this'. The art what's left to us as evidence for the rise of a theory of mind, The early recognition that we are social beings. George Zarkadakis writes about palaeolithic cave art and carvings in his book 'In Our Own Image' 'Savior or Destroyer? The History and Future of Artificial Intelligence'
djkirk wrote:Maybe we can get the author of join us?

I agree that the potential for author involvement sounds exciting but Geo is correct, The book may simply not lend itself to an active discussion which sometimes happens when a book is agreeable. Also as we see with the Richard Carrier discussion we @booktalk can protract a discussion for a long time, I don't envision Prothero desiring to commite to the long haul. For instance I myself am still reading the Carrier book ten months on now!.
djkirk

Unread post

Good point GEO and Taylor, I agree.

Return to “Fiction General Discussion”