• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 836 on Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:57 pm

What, In God's Name? by Michael Barry

This forum is devoted to conversations about your favorite NON-FICTION authors, books, and genres.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Re: What, In God's Name? by Michael Barry

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Thank you for sharing some of your personal story. Michael. I too play the drums (I suck) and am a big fan (or at least used to be) of heavy metal bands like AC/DC and Metallica, etc... I've gone to countless concerts and still am thoroughly wrapped up in music of one genre or another. I appreciate hearing the personal details of what made you who you are today.

Since you're new around here I'll share a bit about what we do. In the beginning (no pun intended) Booktalk.org was "The freethinker's book discussion community." We read and discussed books about science, critical thinking, atheism vs theism, and anything else that was of interest to people that questioned religion and religious-like beliefs. Over the years we broadened our focus and today freethought and atheism are no longer the focus, but we still have a lot of members, myself included, that find those topics of particular appeal.

We're not just a reading group that gives a few casual comments about books after we've completed them. We discuss our books while we're reading them and we literally rip them apart, discuss the pros and cons and identify errors, omissions, lies and logical inconsistencies. Our goal is not to give the author a thumbs up or thumbs down, but to become better more educated people through our readings and discussions. Often that process is painful for us or our authors. BookTalk.org isn't for everyone. You have to have thick skin around here to survive. I've been corrected countless times when I've strayed from clear thinking. Sometimes I agree with my critics and other times I don't. But I'm always learning and to me, and to most of the diehard BookTalk.org members, that's what this place is all about.

When you make a claim that there used to be an apple-sized organ hanging off the end of the human appendix we're not going to just cruise past that claim. Most of us here are somewhat scientifically literate and we expect scientific claims to have some support. Otherwise, you're just expressing whimsical and fleeting ideas from the recesses of your imagination. The claim of an organ that has now vanished is a scientific claim. It either used to exist or it didn't used to exist. We read those words and it is like slamming straight into a brick wall. We need to knock that wall down before we can progress. You're asking us to just tiptoe around that wall and keep reading. We don't do much tiptoeing around here so you're met with what appears to be hostility. The truth is we just want answers. And if you don't have answers how serious are we to take your book?
Very well put Chris :)

I myself encourage Michael Barry to continue researching the topic's he's covered and too take seriously the criticisms offered by members here on BT.
Reading "W,IGN?" was a tedium, as has been pointed out by others. It wasn't the proposal per se, but the overall presentation that made the read an aggravation, which is the last thing an author should want to do to a potential customer/reader.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote: ... we literally rip them apart ...
:slap: :evil: :furious: :crying:
Michael Barry
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

The explanations out there for the human appendix tube are crying out for the missing piece. Scientific America, Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Yale, the list goes on... lymphoid tissue which provides a defence against local infections. No known function. I'm saying that it's the residue left behind from a missing organ. Now it's come in handy to use as a graft of some kind (same DNA). At least my theory makes more sense? The exciting part for me is that it falls in with everything else.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Murmur, don't look deeper into my words than is necessary. When I say "we literally rip them apart" I don't mean we rip apart people, tear apart their souls and spit on their personal identity. I mean what I say and nothing more. Arguments should be analyzed, dissected and if possible ripped apart and tossed in the trash. A weak argument deserves such treatment. Good people can present weak arguments. Ripping apart weak arguments doesn't have to equate to a personal attack on the person presenting the weak argument.

The scientific method is all about ripping apart arguments - or hypotheses.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Michael, you're absolutely correct that there is currently a lack of solid understanding of the purpose and evolutionary history of the human appendix. But a gap in our knowledge should fuel scientific research and not fanciful speculation. Sure, it's wonderful to come up with hypotheses on the origins and purpose of the appendix, but those hypotheses must be tested rigorously before a rational person should conclude they are valid. What evidence exists for this missing organ you talk about? None that I see.

What if I wrote a book about how the appendix used to be attached to a now missing organ that gave humans long ago the ability to teleport? There is no difference between your idea and that idea. Both ideas conflict with what we know of the natural world. So by default both ideas are to be assumed false until sufficient evidence is presented that support the ideas as being true. So far in our book you haven't provided any evidence. And you don't have to provide evidence if you don't want. What you believe and disbelieve is your personal choice. But you've shared your beliefs with us now and we have to form our own beliefs how we see fit. I personally require extraordinary evidence for extraordinary claims, such as the ones you make in your book. That's just me.

Does the appendix serve a purpose in any animal?
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Murmur, don't look deeper into my words than is necessary. When I say "we literally rip them apart" I don't mean we rip apart people, tear apart their souls and spit on their personal identity. I mean what I say and nothing more. Arguments should be analyzed, dissected and if possible ripped apart and tossed in the trash. A weak argument deserves such treatment. Good people can present weak arguments. Ripping apart weak arguments doesn't have to equate to a personal attack on the person presenting the weak argument.

The scientific method is all about ripping apart arguments - or hypotheses.
I was complaining about your use of the word "literally" to mean "figuratively".

:angry:
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

But I meant literally. We literally rip arguments apart. How is that wrong?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/cho ... literally/

http://grammarist.com/usage/literally-figuratively/

I'm reading about the difference between literally and figuratively and think my use is in a grey area. Murmur, help me understand your point please.

We dissect arguments. Dissect and rip to me are synonyms.

Now, if I said, "We rip people apart" that would be a figurative ripping. Right?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Or are you referring to where I said...
Literally every single sentence you type is word salad sprinkled with nonsense.
I'm still not convinced figuratively would be correct. If I said salad instead of word salad then figuratively would be appropriate. But word salad has a real meaning. But I did say sprinkled... so maybe that's the figurative part.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/cho ... literally/

http://grammarist.com/usage/literally-figuratively/

I'm reading about the difference between literally and figuratively and think my use is in a grey area. Murmur, help me understand your point please.

We dissect arguments. Dissect and rip to me are synonyms.

Now, if I said, "We rip people apart" that would be a figurative ripping. Right?
I didn't have much of a point other than to complain about what looked like the incorrect usage of "literally". If that's your opinion of the meaning of rip and dissect, then it would be literal to you.

Here's an example of what irks me.

"I worked so hard today that I literally became a zombie."

A facebook-friend of mine wrote that and I asked her, "what killed you?"

Return to “Non-Fiction General Discussion”