• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What, In God's Name? by Michael Barry

This forum is devoted to conversations about your favorite NON-FICTION authors, books, and genres.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Michael Barry
The Great Gabsby

Re: What, In God's Name? by Michael Barry

Unread post

I'm being specific about mammals (Genesis day 6), not all animals. The importance is the separation of sentient from non-sentient; eye contact from no eye contact. To say that every sentence is flawed is exaggeration; uncalled for and totally unnecessary. You're not choosing your words with any care. You're being flippant and spiteful and I don't understand why. You can be defensive or actually learn from this interaction? Isn't that the pot calling the kettle? I haven't heard anything worth learning yet. You're denouncing everything I say but with no alternative argument. I wait with bated breath for someone to tell me I'm wrong about something, but an explanation as to why I'm wrong would be helpful. Write your explanation for the meaning of life, then we'll both have something to take the piss out of?
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

For a mere 60 page book Michael Barry's What, In Gods Name? is jam packed with exciting stuff!.

To see how deftly the author melded revolutionary ideas of lost chromosomes, a little understood human organ and old earth creationism is compelling to say the least.

Michael Barry is a rare, unique thinker and writer who places science and religion on a well earned equal footing...and I say its about time. "Trust Me" Michael Barry asks the reader...Well I did! and I thank You Michael Barry!
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

OK I finished the book, so now I'm allowed to comment officially. :-D In general I'd say the author has a very good imagination as he spins numerous unusual ideas unsupported by evidence. As others have noted, he is in need of a copy editor. But for now, I'll focus on the following challenge from the author.
Michael Barry wrote: I wait with bated breath for someone to tell me I'm wrong about something, but an explanation as to why I'm wrong would be helpful.
OK here are a few examples...
We know that leaving/entering a solar system is via black holes, and we know that leaving/entering a galaxy is via bigger black holes, and we know that leaving/entering a universe is via even bigger black holes. pgs 12-13
You say "we know" three times in one sentence where obviously we have zero knowledge of this. In fact if you were to dive into a black hole, the intense differential gravity between your head and feet would tear your body apart into a long string of single atoms prior to hitting the event horizon. Not a safe way to travel.
It doesn’t feel comfortable to me that the human genome is 46 chromosomes. It does feel comfortable to me that the human genome ‘started off’ as 48 chromosomes.
I cannot say you're wrong about what makes you comfortable, but just pointing out that some of your ideas are supported only by emotions which cannot prove a point.
Everything the Earth would ever need has been pre-packed in the land and the water. Stored in the ice of darkness; frozen in transit; to be defrosted upon arrival. Genesis says that it was so. Science says that it was so. Harmony. p18
No Genesis doesn't say that. The science of planetary physics, specifically the processes that create planets does not claim that either. Harmony indeed.
Every organism living anywhere else in our universe also consists of cells, chromosomes, genes and DNA. Every living organism, no matter where it exists, has to consist of cells, chromosomes, genes and DNA, otherwise it cannot be a living organism. pgs 18-19
It's possible this is true, but as of now we have zero evidence of life outside of Earth therefore it is pure speculation.
Prior to 4026BC, the highest genome on Earth was the extremely underestimated Neanderthal. p25
No, Neanderthals died out about 28000 BCE. And I seriously doubt "highest genome" is an acceptable evolutionary or biological term.
Adam (as the first human) had to be born from a Neanderthal mother. There’s no other explanation for it. p26
No, humans were not born or evolved from Neanderthals. Humans and Neanderthals were separate species that lived at the same time for a certain period. Evidence suggests they sometimes mated and killed each other. You may have some Neanderthal DNA within, but again that is not because we evolved from them.

Also there was no such thing as a "first human." Humans evolved very gradually from our ancestors. It is not possible to identify two parents who were not human, but had a child that was the very first human. Again it was a long gradual process, therefore it would be impossible to pick the exact generation that divided humans from non-human ancestors because such a line does not exist.
Another one of my unprecedented propositions is that every human being ever born (alive or dead) has had a single body cell taken from them at birth, or sometime after. It doesn’t matter where, or when, or how many at the same time. The taking of one cell is a task given to an individual. We can’t see the individual, but many have sensed the presence in the aura that surrounds the birth of a new human being. p28
A totally ridiculous statement, but an indication of a good imagination. Well done in that regard!
At this stage the Earth is flat, like a tennis ball... p41
You REALLY botched THAT simile! Try again... :lol:

I'll leave it there for now. I have lots more for later...
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

The importance is the separation of sentient from non-sentient; eye contact from no eye contact.
Only animals that can make eye contact with one another can possess sentience. OK. I'm glad you say so. That matter is clearly settled now.
Michael Barry
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

Chris, I made it quite clear that I am not a writer and I definitely don't want to be one. My unprecedented statements can't be supported with any evidence because there is no evidence. You immediately began attacking me with, 'the author doesn't understand the words evolve and theory'. You provoked me into becoming defensive. If you can't see that this is my personal opinion of the meaning of life, then fair enough. I would have preferred that the reader simply read it and then say that some of my points make sense and some don't. I'm being asked to provide evidence to my claims, where's all the evidence to support the disagreements? My understanding of black holes comes from a TV documentary that I watched. My perception of the first days of Genesis comes from hanging on every word that Moses wrote. You have been unfair and you know it.
Landroid, I didn't realize that you were such an expert on science and Genesis. What are your credentials? Where's your evidence to back up your claims? I want to see organisations like the genocidal ISIS come to their senses... thanks for your support in that matter.
Michael Barry
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

Taylor, thank you for getting past the pedantic of English grammar, punctuation, etc. to see my point. The human race is becoming even more divided with every new decade. We're spiralling out of control and I needed to make some sense of it all. I have some idea of what I think it's all about now, life, death, what's it all for? At least it's better than the forty years I endured having no idea what it's all about. I have no way of proving to myself that there is a God, but I would like to think so, for goodness sake. As for the critics? Try to see what I'm trying to do, and cut out the pretentious drivel.
Michael Barry
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

For the record. I paid a lot of money to a 'professional' writer to write the back cover. I wasn't happy with it in retrospect and reduced it considerably, but it made the point. It was better than my attempt.
Michael Barry
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

Sorry to take up so many boxes. One last thing that may help straighten out a few points is my personal life, which I didn't want to get into but I suppose it's relevant? I've lived a stressful and turbulent life. Sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. I love the drums, always have. The likes of MotorHead, Metallica, Zeppelin, ACDC, ZZ top kind of thing. A forty year party takes its toll. I hit rock bottom when it came to my mid-life crisis of 'what's it all about?' Deep in the wilderness of the Forest Of Bowland at midnight, suicide was my mission. Before I checked out I screamed and shouted at the black raining sky, "Give me an answer? You can't, can you... because you don't fucking exist, that's why."
I've been on the slab. Doctors saved my life. And the next day I could not get 'read Genesis' out of my head. I could not get 'read genetics' out of my head. Now, sixteen years later this is the result. I have a 'what's it all about' to cling to. It's made me a better man than I could ever hope for. If I lie, I have betrayed, stabbed myself repeatedly. it will never happen. All I'm saying is, if you have a fondness for Genesis, then you must be following one of the three main religious beliefs? I'm saying that there has to be a scientific explanation for it? That compliments it. This is my best shot... what's yours? Sorry if the grammar, etc. is all over the place? If you don't get it, then you don't get it, what can I say?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Thank you for sharing some of your personal story. Michael. I too play the drums (I suck) and am a big fan (or at least used to be) of heavy metal bands like AC/DC and Metallica, etc... I've gone to countless concerts and still am thoroughly wrapped up in music of one genre or another. I appreciate hearing the personal details of what made you who you are today.

Since you're new around here I'll share a bit about what we do. In the beginning (no pun intended) Booktalk.org was "The freethinker's book discussion community." We read and discussed books about science, critical thinking, atheism vs theism, and anything else that was of interest to people that questioned religion and religious-like beliefs. Over the years we broadened our focus and today freethought and atheism are no longer the focus, but we still have a lot of members, myself included, that find those topics of particular appeal.

We're not just a reading group that gives a few casual comments about books after we've completed them. We discuss our books while we're reading them and we literally rip them apart, discuss the pros and cons and identify errors, omissions, lies and logical inconsistencies. Our goal is not to give the author a thumbs up or thumbs down, but to become better more educated people through our readings and discussions. Often that process is painful for us or our authors. BookTalk.org isn't for everyone. You have to have thick skin around here to survive. I've been corrected countless times when I've strayed from clear thinking. Sometimes I agree with my critics and other times I don't. But I'm always learning and to me, and to most of the diehard BookTalk.org members, that's what this place is all about.

When you make a claim that there used to be an apple-sized organ hanging off the end of the human appendix we're not going to just cruise past that claim. Most of us here are somewhat scientifically literate and we expect scientific claims to have some support. Otherwise, you're just expressing whimsical and fleeting ideas from the recesses of your imagination. The claim of an organ that has now vanished is a scientific claim. It either used to exist or it didn't used to exist. We read those words and it is like slamming straight into a brick wall. We need to knock that wall down before we can progress. You're asking us to just tiptoe around that wall and keep reading. We don't do much tiptoeing around here so you're met with what appears to be hostility. The truth is we just want answers. And if you don't have answers how serious are we to take your book?
Michael Barry
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

I love to learn, it keeps me alive. I look at the absolute splendour of a human being, or a tiny kitten, or any form of life, and it's amazing. What it can do and what it's capable of. We're part of something planned, I know we are; I can feel it. I'm surprised that no one has argued about the big bang theory that I agree with. So if we all agree on that one, then at one time there must have been a baby universe? Stanley Miller saw the building blocks for life. The universe must have created a first life? That first life must have created a second life, having taken control of life. That would be the one humans perceive as Archangel Michael.
Of course, I would love my book to be written properly. I think I have valid arguments that won't go away, even after sixteen years. I think it's worthy of discussion, what about you? If someone here tells me, "No no no, wrong wrong wrong" that's great; enlighten me; I'm all ears; you have my undivided attention.
I learned a long time ago that humans will swear blind, fight to the death, carve in stone what they've read or been told. Things aren't always what they seem? I think people are expecting me to explain how I come to know certain things, like no humans on Earth before 4026BC. Archaeological TV programmes such as Time Team have dug up England from top to bottom over the decades. They can tell you somebody's last meal, who died 6000 years ago. I just get to the point and leave out the unnecessary.
It would appear that my book has a thumbs up, which was a huge relief. I'm enjoying this experience, I would like to see it through.

Return to “Non-Fiction General Discussion”