• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Christ in Egypt: The Mythicist Position

#98: Aug. - Sept. 2011 (Non-Fiction)
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: Christ in Egypt: The Mythicist Position

Unread post

Good, yes, so very good and pleasing to see that it is true "you can't fool all the people all the time" and this list certainly proves it.

And yet how many people have taken metaphor for fact, allegory for history, and thereby been deceived and defrauded of their birthright.

Viva la revolution, liberty and a free mind

Thanks for the list from Ken Tat it's well worth a good read.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

As we continue along with knowledge on the increase it seems reasonable to conclude that the Christ Myth theory will continue to gain momentum and increase in popularity...
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FTL99
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Unread post

I thought this was a great comment by Rene Salm about Acharya's mythicist position:
"Acharya's video "The Mythicist Position | What is Mythicism?" helps introduce the mythicist position to the masses, and for that I'm thankful. We can already see from online rebuttals and discussion that such efforts are reaching their goal. Well done! Nevertheless, we remain in an early stage of this major paradigm shift, where Jesus mythicism continues to be ignored (with increasing difficulty) by mainstream academia and by the greater public. Hopefully, with efforts such as Acharya's, this viewpoint will be more widely acknowledged and the words "mythicist" and "mythicism" will soon appear in the Oxford English Dictionary. We may also hope for the day when they will appear in textbooks used by New Testament professors."

- Rene Salm

Posted at the mythicist position blog
For further reading see the Evemerist vs. Mythicist Position thread.

Here's the Mythicist Position video
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

This thread is fascinating to me. I'm going to have to go through and read all the post when I have time so that I can join in on the conversation.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Olivia22 wrote:This thread is fascinating to me. I'm going to have to go through and read all the post when I have time so that I can join in on the conversation.
Hi Olivia, glad you find this material interesting. Christ in Egypt may have been Booktalk's most watched book discussion, so there is plenty of interest in case anyone wishes to reopen the discussion about its big topics.

DM Murdock is a highly controversial writer, unwilling to bend her integrity to conform to convention and bullying. Much of the material she has discovered flies in the face of widely held assumptions about historical events, especially regarding the writing of the Bible and the existence of Jesus Christ.

Many readers jump to hasty bigoted assumptions about this material, instead of showing the courtesy and patience to understand the arguments and the evidence and to examine their own biases. A recent example of this insulting syndrome occurred at the blog Vridar. But rather than focus on the social difficulties of discussing these fascinating topics, which are basically banned everywhere except on the internet, it is better to explore the evidence with an open mind, aiming to reconstruct a scientifically plausible account of Christian origins.
FTL99

Unread post

I would love for people to e-mail the mythicist position video (above) and the link to the article around to their professors of comparative religion courses etc. in order to get their feedback. Please post their feedback and quote them here in the Evemerist vs. Mythicist Position thread.

Also, we are looking for professors and teachers of comparative religion and similar courses who may be interested in including the subject of Astrotheology into existing comparative religion courses and perhaps evolve into its own course. Post that feeback HERE, please.
FTL99

Unread post

I figured these links below should be here for readers.

Star Worship of the Ancient Israelites

These below are from Acharya's blog:

Zodiacs on the Floor of Synagogues

2,750-year-old solar-aligned temple discovered in Israel

Did Moses Exist? The Myth of the Israelite Lawgiver

"This book is a slightly revised version of my doctoral dissertation entitled “Solar Worship in the Biblical World” which was submitted to the Graduate School of Yale University in the Spring of 1989. As may be judged from the title of that work, I had at one time planned to cover more territory than sun worship in ancient Israel, but found the material pertaining to ancient Israel so vast that I never got beyond it."

- Rev. Dr. J. Glen Taylor, "Yahweh and the Sun: Biblical and Archaeological Evidence for Sun Worship in Ancient Israel" (1993)

"At Stonehenge in England and Carnac in France, in Egypt and Yucatan, across the whole face of the earth are found mysterious ruins of ancient monuments, monuments with astronomical significance. These relics of other times are as accessible as the American Midwest and as remote as the jungles of Guatemala. Some of them were built according to celestial alignments; others were actually precision astronomical observatories ... Careful observation of the celestial rhythms was compellingly important to early peoples, and their expertise, in some respects, was not equaled in Europe until three thousand years later."

- Dr. Edwin Krupp, astronomer and director at Griffith Park Observatory in Los Angeles, 'In Search of Ancient Astronomies,' page xiii. Also quoted in "Suns of God," page 26

"I find it undeniable that many of the epic heroes and ancient patriarchs and matriarchs of the Old Testament were personified stars, planets, and constellations." "I find myself in full agreement with Acharya S/D.M. Murdock"

- Dr. Robert Price, Biblical Scholar with two Ph.D's

Earl Doherty defers to Acharya for the subject of astrotheology:

"A heavenly location for the actions of the savior gods, including the death of Christ, would also have been influenced by most religions' ultimate derivation from astrotheology, as in the worship of the sun and moon. For this dimension of more remote Christian roots, see the books of Acharya S"

- Earl Doherty, Jesus: Neither God Nor Man, (2009) page 153

"Your scholarship is relentless! ...the research conducted by D.M. Murdock concerning the myth of Jesus Christ is certainly both valuable and worthy of consideration."

- Dr. Ken Feder, Professor of Archaeology

"...In recent months or over the last year or so I have interviewed Frank Zindler and Richard Carrier and David Fitzgerald and Robert Price all on the issue of mythicism ... when I spoke to these people I asked for their expertise collectively and what I got, especially from Fitzgerald and Robert Price, was that we should be speaking to tonights guest D.M. Murdock,author of 'Did Moses Exist? The Myth of the Israelite Lawgiver'."

- Aron Ra, The Ra Men podcast EP10 - Did Moses Exist? with D.M. Murdock

"I've known people with triple Ph.D's who haven't come close to the scholarship in Who Was Jesus?"

- Pastor David Bruce, M.Div

"...I have found her scholarship, research, knowledge of the original languages, and creative linkages to be breathtaking and highly stimulating."

- Rev. Dr. Jon Burnham, Pastor

"I can recommend your work whole-heartedly!"

- Dr. Robert Eisenman
Stone Age Zodiac by National Geographic

Jesus Christ, Sun of Righteousness

Unfortunately, Acharya S/Murdock passed away: Acharya S/D.M. Murdock Memoriam
Last edited by FTL99 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Thank you.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

FTL99 wrote:Jesus Christ, Sun of Righteousness
Hello FTL99. It's either misinformed or disingenuous to imply that Clement of Alexandria held a mythicist allegorical view of Christ as the sun. He had some odd and unorthodox views, but he certainly maintained that Christ was a real human historical person. Just read his writings.

The mythicist and astrotheological view is largely fueled through the internet and not by scholarly sources qualified in the requisite disciplines.
http://www.academia.eu/9546383/The_Hist ... d_skeptics

Bad link here. Google, The historicity of Jesus, a guide to proponents and skeptics: if you want to see the article.
FTL99 wrote:These below are from Acharya's blog:

Zodiacs on the Floor of Synagogues

2,750-year-old solar-aligned temple discovered in Israel

Stone Age Zodiac by National Geographic
Nothing it seems will shake the convictions of stalwart mythicists,but it's worth throwing out a caveat emptor to the unwary.

With all due respect to Acharya S,her writings are particularly poor from a factual and scholarly perspective,to say nothing of common sense,I'm sorry to have say.
http://www.tektonics.org/af/achy01.php
Last edited by Flann 5 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Did you really just post a link to Tecktonics to try and refute the mythicist material? That's got to be lowest of the low concerning apologetics.....
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Christ in Egypt: The Horus-Jesus Connection - by D.M. Murdock”