• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 709 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

Check in here if you plan to participate in the book discussion!

#148: Sept. - Nov. 2016 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Check in here if you plan to participate in the book discussion!

Unread post

Check in here if you plan to participate in the discussion of God: The Most Unpleasant Character in All Fiction by Dan Barker.

Just make a brief (or lengthy) post here stating your intention of participating. Other members are more likely to join the discussion if they see lots of other people planning to participate.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Check in here if you plan to participate in the book discussion!

Unread post

I'm in. :clap:
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Checking in.
This book isn't available in a Kindle version. However I found it as a downloadable book on my local library's web site. I can't get that to work so far - it provides a .acsm link, not a file??? Will ask a young-un for help. :roll: Please try this and let us know how the download works as well as how to get it on the bloody e-reader. Thanks!
Sounds like it has illustrations, so the hardback may be better anyway?
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:Checking in.
This book isn't available in a Kindle version. However I found it as a downloadable book on my local library's web site. I can't get that to work so far - it provides a .acsm link, not a file??? Will ask a young-un for help. :roll: Please try this and let us know how the download works as well as how to get it on the bloody e-reader. Thanks!
Sounds like it has illustrations, so the hardback may be better anyway?
I would have preferred this one on kindle as well, but will buy the hard cover, which may take a few weeks. I read the previous Booktalk Dan Barker selection and formed the view that he was highly traumatised by his fundamentalist experience, to the point that he is terminally unable to look at religion objectively. So my interest in this discussion is about the psychological trauma of fundamentalism, and why Barker and Dawkins have formed such narrow and negative views about theology. Even if the factual analysis of this Unpleasant God book is correct, I very much doubt that Barker is capable of placing these problems in a sound historical and ethical framework.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Maybe we implement a new policy that all of our books need to be available in Kindle format. Like you guys I really prefer Kindle format to hard cover. I'm trying to avoid buying print books these days. I ordered a hard cover copy too. Next time we can discuss this issue ahead of time. Sorry for the hassle on this one guys.
MishyCast
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I want to participate becuase this is going to be my first time and this book caught my attention first, lets give it a try and let see what happens.
senSEYtional
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I thought it's another one of the controversial books of DAN BROWN--My favorite author :bananadance:

Return to “God: The Most Unpleasant Character in All Fiction - by Dan Barker, foreword by Richard Dawkins”